What am I doing 'wrong'?

Nuc-U-Lar

First time out of the vault
I have been playing FO3 for a little over five hours non-consecutivly and i have a few problems that are really making me question how long I'll be able to play this game in the long run. They are not technical problems, but are sheer gameplay mechanic problems.

My problems come in two types, reall all related to the fact that I can't find a place to buy and sell stuff outside of megaton.

For example, I have used up the mercants golds stores for the clinic and for the store above him with the lady. And I am in need of ammo....Lots of ammo sine i have none.

I also am unable to kill anything. I have a chinese Assualt rifle, a hunting rifle, the mesmer gun, and a 10mm pistol. I also used up my missle launcher and fat man as well and i dont see ammo for them anywhere.

Where do I get ammo and people to buy and sell things to outside of megaton.

Look for roaming merchants and scavengers. Sometimes they stop outside of Megaton's gates, other times you simply stumble onto them walking around. There's no "dump for cash" fallback merchant I've found so far, so pretty much conservation and melee backup plans are a good idea.

As already said, travelling merchants can be run into almost anywhere. They seem to stop by the entrance to towns or settlements and wait for a day or two then move on to the next town. I've seen them outside Paradise Falls, Rivet City, Megaton and Big Town.

Rivet City has a bunch of merchants.

The ghoul sanctury in the Underworld has some shops.

My friend who's currently playing an evil SOB tells me Tenpenny Towers has good shops.

I've occasionally run into random scavengers that have little stalls set up in odd places who will trade with you. One is on a bridge almost straight west from Graydith (maybe a little south) and one was in a Radiation King store in some busted up area in the southeast quadrant of the map. I got lost in the subways for awhile and can't remember where this was when I popped out, then went back underground. It wasn't far from the townhouse where you can activate the Mr. Handy that talks smack about you under his breath.

I assume Paradise Falls has merchants but I haven't made it in yet. That's about all I've personally seen so far, hope it helps.

In the town with the fighting superheros (forgot the name but the Antagonizer and Mechanist bs). You can pay a guy to increase the quality of goods on different caravans and you even get a map showing the caravan trade route.

edit: Pay a guy* not a gay :lol:

mrblonde2000 said:
In the town with the fighting superheros (forgot the name but the Antagonizer and Mechanist bs). You can pay a gay to increase the quality of goods on different caravans and you even get a map showing the caravan trade route.

Seriously, What town is that?

Lots of ammo from raiders in school in Springdale. And bethesda ruins. I ran into this problem too. Once you get your gun skill to 60 seems your bullets do considerably more damage. And i no longer have a problem with ammo.

Bal-Sagoth said:
You have to solve the Antagonzer/Mechanist problem for the town first if I recall.

Did that and no one seems to have any additional text. I would assume by gay they mean Dominic, but he lives with Mechete for what its worth. Any other ideas?

Back