What games of today seem to have Fallout influences?

Munin

First time out of the vault
Considering that the original company does not exist anymore. Other than Bethesda with Fallout 3, I found other games reminding me a lot more of my Fallout 1 and 2 experiences.

Also consider that I m talking about Fallout 1 & 2 in general as RPG games.

One game in particular is "the witcher": the reason being that it is a dark, mature and humoring game with a good focus on dialogue and storyline.

Here is an preview of "the witcher 2"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e40kxWa0QCw&feature=related

I have to admit that I m one of the guys that do not consider Fallout 3 a worthy succesor to Fallout 1 and 2. Simply because it does not feel anything like it when you play it: it doesn't focus on good dialogue + good storyline & the F3 game isn't made for the same mature audiance (you only have to look at the way the game deals with sex-content and its dialogue).

So if you guys can find other examples of newer games that give an RPG experience that reminds you of Fallout2, then let me/us know ;)

I wouldn't list the Witcher...the Witcher existed 20 years ago as books and was already mature and with a dark humor back then.

But yeah, give Arcanum a try if you don't know it. It's combat system can be a bit annoying, but hell so much about it just cries "Fallout" - it's mature and humorous, and i don't mean just the Brahmin-Easteregg. Hell you even have 19th century power armor in it (Machined Plate Armor) ;)

That's a tough question because the years since about 2002 have been the worst period for RPGs in general since computer gaming began.

Arcanum is good but it is part of the original Fallout's era of games. I consider it as much the offspring of Baldur's Gate as Fallout, but since both were excellent games that isn't a bad thing.

As said above, the Witcher doesn't really count because the source material is older than Fallout. While it may have dark humor it doesn't feel like Fallout's humor and I don't see any direct connection between the two.

Maybe if Bryan Fargo ever gets his act together and remakes Wasteland we'll have another game in the same vein as Fallout. Even though the original Wasteland was Fallout's father, if it does get remade it will have Fallout to thank. I just hope he doesn't do to it what he did to the Bard's Tale.

Ehm. I clicked 'reply' excpecting to have a host of responses.

Sadly, I cannot think of a single game.

I will dwell upon this.

*dwelling*

I mean, ehh, well. No.

Armageddon Empires
It's not a roleplaying game, but a top-notch turnbased strategy; still the atmosphere is pure postapocalyptic. (Even some references to the Fallout are there.)

Definetly The witcher isn`t based on Fallout, this game base on books and novels first published in 1986.

From games influenced by Fallout it`s a mod for Heart of Iron II in Fallout Univers (but this is a strategy game).
From RPG it may be Fall of Gaia (but has real time battle system).

Wasteland?

That is a really old game... once you get past the basic UI, it's a pretty open-ended game for an 80's RPG :)

shihonage said:
Wasteland is not influenced by Fallout - it's the other way around.

If you are referring to my post... I indicated that in my comments.

@Rev.: Reread what I said about Wasteland. I was talking about the supposed remake that Bryan Fargo made reference to at one point a few years ago.

Age of Decadence, definitely. The look of the demo and videos are very much like Fallout. It's a turn based combat, quest oriented game where player choices affect the course of the game and the ending. The interface looks inspired by Fallout and it's in a "post apocalyptic" setting. Although, this setting is not in the future, it's in the past after the fall of something like the Roman empire.

There wasn't very much I liked about the Witcher, so I would say that the Witcher doesn't have much in common with the first Fallout games at all.

That said, I would say that there is a massive gulf between old school RPGs and new school RPGs in general - though I'm not entirely sure where such a rift began.

Back