What makes for a good Fallout-game/fanfic location?

ElloinmorninJ

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
So, I’ve been trying to write my own head cannon/lore for the location of Sacramento, or Sac-Town as it’s called in Fallout’s world. But, I’ve had some trouble coming up with ideas.

My question is, what makes for a good Fallout location?

I’ve noticed every settlement in Fallout’s world has a theme (New Reno= Mob-ruled Sodom & Gomorrah, Hub= Trade-town, Arroyo= Tribals) and I’ve been trying to come up with my own for Sac-Town a long while, do you guys have any ideas? Thank you.

Honestly the skies the limit, just have internal consistency within your work, the city doesnt have to be themed.

Id recomend, even if only for your own use, coming up with your own history for the city as well as outlying areas, choosing events that lead towards the plot your going to write on.

Once you do that, it makes any dialouge refrencing the region or past easy to write (of course you also need to keep in mind what the person would mnow out of that too).

Perhaps Sac-Town could be sort of a classically idyllic Central Valley agricultural town, as opposed to Modoc or Klamath which more so play off of the hardscrabble miserable yokel agricultural town trope.

Perhaps Sac-Town could be sort of a classically idyllic Central Valley agricultural town, as opposed to Modoc or Klamath which more so play off of the hardscrabble miserable yokel agricultural town trope.

Yes, yes, but I feel like every fallout location should be flawed in some way.

When it comes to writing, you need to tell a good story and keep the story consistent with the world. You can set a story in a remote valley in California's Coastal Range, but the setting sets the story and contributes to the conflict, its not what defines it. Just like with video games, the game play mechanics help set the pace and tone of the game, but the story is general what people want out of it. Which means, you need to think of what is the location like from a human perspective, what is the central conflict in the story and how those two interact to make a good story all within the confines of the story's universe. As for your society being flawed, what will be a positive aspect to one person isn't going to be a positive aspect to someone else. Like if Sacramento has a town council, what is the relationship between the caravan companies and yeomen farmers? Is their corruption and intrigue under the idyllic surface and why does it exist and how did it form? Hope these comments help.

I like to picture Sac-Town as effectively a waystation for the caravan routes of North California. The post-nuclear equivalent to a big truck stop. A place that's always busy, but has very few locals who mostly get by on providing services for the caravans. Perhaps in their history they were bigger in number, before NCR, but were besieged by the 80s. Only a stubborn few stayed behind for the change into the Brahmin Stop.

You could have plenty of stories here, about loneliness or something like a rape happening to a local and dealing with the fact the culprit will never be found because they've likely moved on already. You could also deal with problems of the Brahmin industry. Petty disputes, merchant sabotage, trade wars, maybe a sickness affecting the Brahmin that needs to be sourced before it kills the business of Sac-Town. Mustering the will to defend Sac-Town from raiders rather than just moving business elsewhere etc

Back