When Youtube Subtitles correct Todd Howard

Jogre

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
Todd Howard originally said in this video "Mods have been a part of who we are", and the subtitles were technically incorrect, however I think they summed up Bethesda's attitude to gaming a lot better than Toddy Boy did.
Accurate Subtitles.png

Just watched the video that came from.

Can't wait for these mod hungry console players to understand why mods and RAM/GPU starved consoles do not mix, and we just know someone's going to put out a mod that screws with one or both consoles.

What do they think about software extentions (F4SE to be precise) on consoles?

I can't wait for console mods to come just so we can see how terrible it'll be.
I have a feeling by the time they actually arrive the majority of people won't be playing Fallout 4 anymore.

Then again Skyrim was almost as empty and shallow as Fallout 4 and that was a smash hit so what do I know.

It's almost like they're a company....

While I appreciate the sarcasm, Bethesda are over the top businesslike. They take everything seriously, defend their intellectual property with more zeal than they should(Fortress Fallout, Scrolls), and obviously care more about making a profit than they do about the series(Shown by 4 butchering RPG mechanics)

I have a feeling by the time they actually arrive the majority of people won't be playing Fallout 4 anymore.

Then again Skyrim was almost as empty and shallow as Fallout 4 and that was a smash hit so what do I know.

I have to disagree there, Skyrim had a huge world, with many decent quests. Yes the RPG Mechanics were nowhere near Morrowind level, but Skyrim IMO was actually not bad, and obviously they put a lot of effort in to it. Fallout 4 on the other hand, is clearly a cut mess, with few redeeming qualities.

I have to disagree there, Skyrim had a huge world, with many decent quests. Yes the RPG Mechanics were nowhere near Morrowind level, but Skyrim IMO was actually not bad, and obviously they put a lot of effort in to it. Fallout 4 on the other hand, is clearly a cut mess, with few redeeming qualities.
Well if you look at Skyrim you can pretty much predict Fallout 4:
1. The puzzles have the answers right in front of them (match the fish to the fish, match the bird to the bird).

2. You become leader of entire Mages Guild directly from just joining, ahead of everyone else already there, after a very short questline.

3. Dark Brotherhood quest makes you leader after the other one gets jealous or something dumb like that. Also terribly written.

4. There is a distinct lack of dialogue options.

And much more.

Well if you look at Skyrim you can pretty much predict Fallout 4:
1. The puzzles have the answers right in front of them (match the fish to the fish, match the bird to the bird).

2. You become leader of entire Mages Guild directly from just joining, ahead of everyone else already there, after a very short questline.

3. Dark Brotherhood quest makes you leader after the other one gets jealous or something dumb like that. Also terribly written.

4. There is a distinct lack of dialogue options.

And much more.
1. Fair point there. I don't get why Bethesda even tries implementing puzzles. They obviously don't understand how to make complicated ones, so why do they try?

2. That's kinda to be expected from an Elder Scrolls game. I know that many of the earlier games required lots of skills and patience, and that games like Morrowind and Oblivion require huge amounts of very repetitive quests, but every Elder Scrolls game has to some degree made becoming faction leader easier than realistic, it's just that Skyrim exaggerates a lot.

3. IIRC, It takes multiple quests to become leader, it's just that the current leader feels you are changing the ways of the Dark Brotherhood for the worst. If it weren't for the quick faction progress, it wouldn't be too badly written.

4. The Dialogue Options weren't too bad in my opinion. In lots of quests there are lots of responses, eg. you can really define your character's background in the jail with the Breton guy, when he asks all sorts of questions about your past.

What do they think about software extentions (F4SE to be precise) on consoles?
image.gif

Who knows but...
Those on consoles? I doubt that's even possible to implement for them. If they can't how will mods that make that a mandatory prerequisite going to work?
I'm calling it now that console users are going to start whining because they can't see titties because Bethesda doesn't want those files on their servers. Remember they cater to the kids, once the previous generations become adults they prey on the new generations like pedos.

Well, Fallout 4 is an 18 game, and contains a lot of swearing, violence and sexual references. Nowhere near the others, but it definitely isn't catered to kids.
Well the game seems to cater to the lowest common denominator. You think kids are going to listen to the dialogues themselves? NO they want to shooty shoot shoot all the zombies and green orcs, they want to cake the walls, ceilings, and floors with blood and guts because action games sell.

You never know. I reckon the vast majority of kids are more intelligent, and well versed than Bethesda fanboys.
I was meaning younger kids like maybe around 5-8 considering my 5 year old brother likes watching me when I play games like Dark Souls or popamole shooters but not things like isometric turn based games.
Not saying I think all kids are like that but when your a kid, who doesn't like action based games? :shrug:

I was meaning younger kids like maybe around 5-8 considering my 5 year old brother likes watching me when I play games like Dark Souls or popamole shooters but not things like isometric turn based games.
Not saying I think all kids are like that but when your a kid who doesn't like action based games? :shrug:
T'was intended as a joke.

And you're right, most kids probably do like shooty shooty violence.

Those on consoles? I doubt that's even possible to implement for them. If they can't how will mods that make that a mandatory prerequisite going to work?
Yeah... Wow. Come to think of it, Bethesda can't even deal with interdependent plugins, the game crashes after you load some without thinking too much and never just works again until you mess with plugins.txt. And of course no such thing as autosorting. F4SE is way out of their league. And considering the fact that many mods from really useful to 'cool' in both New Vegas and Skyrim heavy relies on NSVE/SKSE, console gamers are limited and stuck with crappy launcher. That's some heavy bullshitting here. I wouldn't give them permission if I was working in sony or microsoft.

Yeah... Wow. Come to think of it, Bethesda can't even deal with interdependent plugins, the game crashes after you load some without thinking too much and never just works again until you mess with plugins.txt. And of course no such thing as autosorting. F4SE is way out of their league. And considering the fact that many mods from really useful to 'cool' in both New Vegas and Skyrim heavy relies on NSVE/SKSE, console gamers are limited and stuck with crappy launcher. That's some heavy bullshitting here. I wouldn't give them permission if I was working in sony or microsoft.
Considering the fact that installing the script extender requires placing it where the exe is along with copying and pasting the dlls that come with it then run it. How the fuck do you handle that on a console? It's not like you download it and it magically locates itself, so if I had to guess the majority of the good mods will be unavailable to them due to that missing prerequisite. Then you have the load order, if even one thing is in the wrong order then your game shits on you. Not to mention some mods are just not compatible with one another.

I still remember when I had a mod that conflicted with the helgen sequence at the beginning of Skyrim which caused the horses carrying the wagons to bug out and never reach the door in addition to me falling out the cart. It would happen no matter what I did until I disabled it until after exiting that place.

3. IIRC, It takes multiple quests to become leader, it's just that the current leader feels you are changing the ways of the Dark Brotherhood for the worst. If it weren't for the quick faction progress, it wouldn't be too badly written.

Wasn't there an option to betray and destroy the Dark Brotherhood as well? OWOWOWOWWW!
Not that it would actually have any impact on the story I'm sure.

Well the game seems to cater to the lowest common denominator. You think kids are going to listen to the dialogues themselves? NO they want to shooty shoot shoot all the zombies and green orcs, they want to cake the walls, ceilings, and floors with blood and guts because action games sell.
Exactly. Kids these days don't want to think about the morals of the situation they're in. Are Synths human? Nah, nobody cares. Should Synths be killed? Hell yeah! More fighting and EXP for me!
Companions? Pfft. Boring. I don't want fun and interesting companions. I'll keep them along for meat shields and to soak up extra bullets while I pick up these fifty seven typewriters.

Back