You know who we need on the Fallout 3 team? Miyamoto!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Seriously, think of it this way everything in Fallout could essentially be done on a piece of paper. Fine. But this doesn't do much for something crucial (For me), immersion. Luckily it was the environment that really sucked me in. There wasn't really any sense of urgency when I found myself escaping from an oil rig about to explode only to be confronted by the baddest motherfucker since the days of Shaft. Think about it. Go download the demo of Deus Ex and you can see how a characters stats really can affect gameplay without sacrificing that wonderful sense of place. I'm not saying Fallout 3 should carbon-copy Deus Ex but I think Black Isle may have accomplished all they can with 1 and 2. The only really definite thing I have to say is that fallout 3 gameplay should be a departure from the first two games.

>Seriously, think of it this way
>everything in Fallout could essentially
>be done on a piece
>of paper. Fine. But this
>doesn't do much for something
>crucial (For me), immersion. Luckily
>it was the environment that
>really sucked me in. There
>wasn't really any sense of
>urgency when I found myself
>escaping from an oil rig
>about to explode only to
>be confronted by the baddest
>motherfucker since the days of
>Shaft. Think about it. Go
>download the demo of Deus
>Ex and you can see
>how a characters stats really
>can affect gameplay without sacrificing
>that wonderful sense of place.
>I'm not saying Fallout 3
>should carbon-copy Deus Ex but
>I think Black Isle may
>have accomplished all they can
>with 1 and 2. The
>only really definite thing I
>have to say is that
>fallout 3 gameplay should be
>a departure from the first
>two games.

Huh....well...

First question of a little exam (which will determine my further reactions):

What is Fallout?

Before I get misinterpreted (I posted this before reading that idiot who posted before me), I'd like to say that Chrono Trigger DID give me that "sense of urgency" by having real time battles. I'd like to see something *like* that in Fallout 3, in addition, the key to a great rpg is allowing your character to do literally ANYTHING they want. Oh yeah, Fallout 3 should have an accurate physics model that would take into account any combat action taken. Of course the goal of an rpg is only to create environment.
Then again, maybe I don't deserve crpgs.
whatever

>Before I get misinterpreted (I posted
>this before reading that idiot
>who posted before me)

Let me just say that calling one of the board administrators an idiot isn't one of the smartest things you could have done. Tread lightly from now on...

Real-Time...Ick...

Urgency isn't created in real-time battles. Real-time battles detract from the roleplaying experience. Instead of reacting as your character would, you react as you would. You don't have time to think about your actions.

How important is a realistic physics model in an RPG? "The best part of FO3 is that bullets richote realistically." - Idiot Boy

Skie

I was referring not to Roshambo but to "some guy..." (I was hoping no one would think I was supporting his concept of a Fallout-Halflife game.)

RE: Real-Time...Ick...

And also, too much realism in an rpg title can sometimes detract from the often fantasy driven storyline.just a thought. But then again fallout isn't that surreal......but still, it would be a mistake I think

My apologies

>I was referring not to Roshambo
>but to "some guy..." (I
>was hoping no one would
>think I was supporting his
>concept of a Fallout-Halflife game.)
>

I thought you were talking about Rosh because he was the only other person who responded to you in this thread. My apologies.

Back