Your GOTY 2011 (poll added)

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Serge 13, Nov 17, 2011.

My game of the year 2011 is...

1. TES V: Skyrim

100.0%
  2. Portal 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Batman: Arkham City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dark Souls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Saints Row 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Witcher 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Catherine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Serious Sam 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Frozen Synapse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Serge 13

Serge 13 Elder Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    What game deserves to be GOTY 2011 so far? Or better said, which one of the 2011 releases have you had the most fun with?

So far, for me it has to be none other than 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution'. Although I must admit that I haven't played some games such as Portal 2, Batman Arkham City and such.

2. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    You are a bit early Serge 13, best to start this kind of thread in December.

Anyway regarding your question, despite some short comings and cut material its Deus Ex Human Revolution for me as well.
    Its one of the few games this year which I really got a lot of enjoyment from and felt like a polished game rather than a poor port.

I have been playing the Fallout New Vegas DLCs a lot but that game was from last year and I should thus count the DLCs as well.

I do recommend that if Montreal ever makes another Deus Ex game that they do the cutscene stuff as in the original again.
    I found it rather infuriating that I was not able to do anything during the upper Heng Sha movie with the Dragon Queen, resulting in a cliché in which Jensen was played.

[spoiler:88ef593b23]Yes, I know killing her there and then would have ruined the end fight but good designers could have come up with another solution for that, I just wanted to take her out in her office[/spoiler:88ef593b23]

3. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    So far I think I'll nominate La Noire for best "AAA" game

An amazingly beautiful realised city, great acting, voice acting, soundtrack and atmosphere. Could be even better if it was less railroaded and more challenging, still by far the most impressive game I've played this year and perhaps a peak at the future of video gaming.

Overall I enjoyed Deus Ex HR but I disliked some important parts of that game. (Story that starts out promising but becomes borderline retarded later on, Dumb AI, silly energy mechanic, Useless augmentations,...)

Other games that deserve mentioning: Portal 2, The Witcher 2 and Alice Madness Returns.

I'm also looking forward to trying out Batman Arkham City :)

Best indie game: Tie between Bastion and Frozen Synapse

4. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    My Game of the Year 2011:

5. Black Feather

Black Feather Mildly Dipped

Nov 10, 2010
    Re: Your GOTY 2011

It was really neat but suffers from the same problems as other virtual movies.

Skyrim for me.

6. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    The only new release i've played this year was portal 2 so I guess I'd vote that.

7. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    I literally haven't played any new releases, except for a tad bit of NV. Listing it as my GOTY would probably be unfair then, but I believe that my stance wouldn't change much even if I'd played all those games.

8. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Played a few new ones, like Portal 2, TW2, The River of Time, Old World Blues. All good titles, but I'll have to wait til I have time with DX:Human Revolution, Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City.

So yeah, this thread is way too soon. I hate it when people declare "of the year"s when the year isn't over. What's the rush?

9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Portal 2, Catherine, Old World Blues, Skyrim, Deus Ex HR and Arkham City are my candidates, I am still waiting to play L.A. Noire in december.

10. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Hmm, should I treat the Fallout NV dlcs as separate releases or part of FNV?
    Truth be told, I have been playing those a lot more than DE HR which I honestly grew tired off after finishing it one time.

11. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is my candidate, no doubt Skyrim will win the awards from everywhere though.

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I'd say DXHR as well, it's the only game from this year I've played more than once (TW2 doesn't count because it's basically 2 games in one).

13. brfritos

brfritos Humma Kavulaaaaaaa

Sep 8, 2009
  14. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    I only played that game for the articles

15. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003

Like what? You can't just say that like everyone knows what you mean.

16. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008

DXHR certainly didn't offer the freedom of the original DX, but calling it a 'virtual movie' clearly shows that you weren't paying much attention while playing the game. Unless you've got some weird unconventional definition of 'virtual movie'.

17. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Why don't the admins make a poll - with the 8 best candidates. Hint hint.

18. Bakura

Bakura Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 8, 2011

I agree, I have no clue what he is talking about as I have yet to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. How is it a virtual movie? And on topic, I guess I vote for Portal 2. But my bet is that MW3 or Battlefield 3 taking home game of the year.

19. mobucks

mobucks literally Orderite

May 22, 2010
    I haven't really played any new games other than Dead Island (which I uninstalled after <30 mins) and Tropico 4, but the game I most enjoyed seemed to be the only other one I bought this year, Shogun 2. Modded of course. Tho my first campaign was awesome unmodded.

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Maybe when the year is actually over and a "game of the year 2011" thread makes sense.