☢ A.T.O.M ☢ Classic Fallout like game in 3D

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by reev4eg, Jan 9, 2016.

1. reev4eg

reev4eg First time out of the vault

Oct 8, 2015

# Update 6 (from Kickstarter)

Hey guys!

It's time for another update, and we'd just like to start off with how grateful we are for all the amazing support you have given to our project. Youtubers making first look videos, backers and fans helping us out on forums and social networks. We have strong belief that we will get what we need to finish the game quickly and without any setbacks.

Thank you for caring about our game, and spreading the word!

The last update was about our strech goals, but what about something that 100% will be in the final game? Well, the update we're going to share with you this week concerns the Battle System.

Here it goes!

COVER SYSTEM

Duck and cover! A shoot-out in the Wasteland is no fun, unless you can hide behind a derelict wall, or some general rubble. There will be two main types of cover (those you crouch behind, and full body coverage, like the aforementioned wall) each one with a special set of animations.

INJURY SYSTEM

Now critical hits are sure to sting for a long time… Both NPC and Player alike will now sustain long-term injuries under various conditions. Unhealed injuries will hinder your abilities according to their type. But isn't that a fair price to pay for maiming your enemies in all the creative ways you can possibly imagine?!

MORE ANIMATIONS

We are finally working on various animations we planned from the start. More realistic attacks, no more holding guns wrong, cover animations, general body language improvements and many more.

…And yes, for all you gore-hounds out there. ATOM will finally feature maiming. In the most explosive ways possible…

These three improvements to the game are our main concern for the following weeks.

Follow us in our accounts on social media, to watch these long awaited improvements come to life before your very eyes!

Thank you again for the support. Yours, ATOM TEAM!

Kickstarter!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015
    Hey there guys! Long time without a new update and too much time without replies to your comments! Let me quickly make that problem go away...

First off, ATOM now has a new update!

Another cosmetic update for you this week! Tired of everyone having the same hairstyle?

Well, soon you won't have to think about it anymore! With things as they are, we can finally allow ourselves to spare some time on important details like beards, mustaches and buzz-cuts for the tough soviet working class men, and the most exquisite post-apocalyptic hairstyle fashions for the lovely ladies!

Every NPC gets a free make-over once this update hits! Even the random encounter people like raiders and bandits won't be forgotten - as they will now get random features! ATOM RPG: Flowing free like the facial hair of a road side vagabond!

By the way, we've been supported by the biggest Polish gaming Youtuber - Mr. Patryk Rojewski (search for ROJSON on YouTube)! A huge thanks to him! His insight and help to the project was no short of amazing!

And thanks to you All, guys! Indie games of our caliber live and die because of their players! So your heartfelt support of ATOM is much more valuable than anybody could possibly think!.. Having you all with us is a real privilege! Of all of our inspirations you guys are the main one! :)

Yours truly, AtomTeam!

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  3. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015
    Another great thing that happened this week is that Brian Fargo, the MAN himself, backed us and sent his support via twitter! We had a lot of famous and semi-famous people support us in the past, and we are grateful to each and every one of them... But getting praise from the person behind our favorite game series is something akin to getting your mind blown by a friggin' NUKE!

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  4. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015

While we're not really aiming for NV (although it's an okay game IMO) we're really looking forward to reach the high levels of Fallout of Nevada. We need our baby to become the Van Buren Fallout fans got robbed of so unfortunately all those years ago. We'll do that by making a huge world with tons of interaction, unique dialogues and portraits for each NPC, and role-playing elements in each dialogue. Branches are going to be everywhere, so that the player could become the EXACT person he wanted to roleplay in his current gaming session. On SPECIAl. While that system is our main inspiration as you can see, we are going farther and farther from it with each new update. Combat and several skills work much more differently, the cover system and aiming are also our own proud achievements. We're not looking for blindly ripping off stuff we love. We're building upon it something of our own! :)

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  5. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015

Hey! A quick reply, just because we don't have a lot of time at the moment. First off, thanks a lot for playing! We value criticism a lot.
    On HUD: See, there was this problem with us wanting to make a HUGE HUD, most of the first players we had wanting almost NO HUD, and our artists stopping at the middle ground :) It's a bit bulky, but not minimal, and seems to be comfortable for most. However, there may be options on resizing in the future. We're still driving on that road to completion, and a lot of stuff can pop out! :)

On dialogues - the style, the language quirks and typos are being worked on by a professional linguist we got recently. But the bland character dialogue options are there for a reason. We like to play with the idea of roleplaying a blank slate. Our guy's personality does not show itself, because we want the players to imagine their own personality in its place. Some options are bland just because of that - so that the player picks only the words, and not the attitude.
    However in many dialogues you can still pick on people, cause fights, and even spit in the face of a tough bandit!

On perks - slang is one of the planned features, not even translated into English yet. Generally, there will be everything needed to display perks correctly. This is a beta after all :) It's going to look amazing!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. rogerdv

rogerdv First time out of the vault

Dec 18, 2007
    Congratulations, keep that excellent work.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  7. Proletären

Proletären Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 15, 2012
    It's finally funded!

Maybe it's worthy of front page? You could lift all their stretch goals in a post.

8. reev4eg

Oct 8, 2015
    Thank you so much, guys! We'll do our best and then some! :D

Becoming front page material would actually be a dream come true. You see, ever since we reached our planned goal of 15K we were in a shock of sorts... Not because we doubted our game at any moment, it's going to turn out amazing or we'll die trying. But we weren't expecting to reach the goal so fast because nobody basically knows about us. Sad but true, guys... Being your own PR agents is so much harder than it looked before we started!
    So ANY and I mean any tiny bit of help with spreading the word about Atom to the masses is almost as helpful as a generous donation :)
    And getting posted on the front page of such a well respected Fallout community would just DESTROY us with tremendous joy :))

And speaking of stretch goals... We have a new one planned. This one - requested by a whole lot of our backers.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    They've hit 30k and the stretch goal for female protagonist! I'm really glad they did because I always play as a woman for some reason (dunno why).

They've also hit 1000+ backers which means we'll get a unique weapon:

Next one up is at 40k and includes:
    There's only 31 hours left of the campaign so I doubt they'll make it but one could hope.

10. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Funded at $33,521!

It's gonna be real interesting to follow the development from here on.

11. 0wing

0wing Все умрут, а я волномут

Mar 23, 2015
    This late in development? Didn't the devs want to push ATOM to 2018? I guess the execution will be no better than such RPG powerhouses of today as Age of Decadence or Underrail in that regard. (i.e. the difference is cosmetic)
    Can't expect harlot build of Fallout 2 fame working here.

12. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    Did you read the kickstarter update about stretchgoals?

And when they reached the stretch goal they wrote this:

I think that answers your question quite well.

13. Makta

Makta The DICKtator

Jul 29, 2010
    Added it to my follow and WL. Hopefully it won't end likte Krai Mira and just rott in my library. Looks interessting enough so far!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  14. lolpop109

lolpop109 Vault Dweller
    Modder

Jul 14, 2016
    Holly shit this looks pretty epic !? I like the grapics

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Proletären

Mar 15, 2012
    New kickstarter update for ATOM. Early-access is out october/november!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. MPPlantOfficial

MPPlantOfficial First time out of the vault

Aug 24, 2017
    This game is really interesting however I'm immediately put off as soon as I start the game because the font in the dialogure box is so narrow that I have to squint my eyes. I hope it comes in bold letters soon.