Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - 0.81alpha, July 5th 2015

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Systolic Motivator

Systolic Motivator First time out of the vault

Sep 6, 2018
    I just checked and confirmed both 800x600 16-bit DirectDraw 7 and 1920x1080 32-bit 60 Hz DirectX 9 modes selected with f1_res_config.exe work for me without any colour corruption, however I have experienced the same issue you have detailed with Killap's RP and it was caused by one of the video rendering modes in Sfall. I don't have this problem anymore so it was either fixed in a newer version of Sfall (there is a much newer version available ie 4.0.7 on GitHub) or it was fixed in the GPU driver by NVIDIA. Are you using AMD?

Looking at the ddraw.ini for Sfall there is a comment the Graphics section which states "IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO CHANGE "MODE" FROM 0 (8 bit), USE F1_RES INSTEAD; CHANGING MODE HERE MAY RESULT IN CRASHES IF USING F1_RES". I didn't notice any increase in visual fidelity when increasing the colour bit depth from 16-bit to 32-bit so I would keep it as 16-bit. I think the only setting you should change is the Output Mode from DirectDraw 7 to DirectX 9. Have you tried updating to the latest GPU driver cleanly, by removing the leftovers with DDU?

2. Battlefieldisfun

Battlefieldisfun First time out of the vault

Aug 13, 2016
    Is there a way to update the Fixt mod to a later version of Sfall? I really want the XPtable feature that currently works in FO2 Sfall, but I guess it needs a more updated version to be impletmented? Also is there any possible way to change how derived stats are calculated, or is that one of those hardcoded things that cannot be changed? Glad to see Sduibek is back.

3. Jeanette

Jeanette First time out of the vault

Sep 24, 2018
    Hi) Is there anywhere manual installation version of this mod for people who wanna play on android?

4. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 -Level 99 in Fallout Fixt-

Oct 28, 2009
    You must install the game on PC than install the mod on PC and than copy over/overwrite your Game folder on android.

If You use ExaGear it's straightfoward copy paste via usb cable however if you use dosbox additional software is required to put the game files into hard drive image with win 98 where Fallout files are located.

@Battlefieldisfun
    AFAIK newest Crafty's Sfall1 still does not support xp tabels so good luck Bugging Crafty asking wether he adds those in.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. Luffier

Luffier First time out of the vault

Oct 11, 2013
    If you haven't seen it already, you should check out the GitHub repository for translators (there are currently two russian translations that have been cleaned and formatted to work with Fixt (it's a mix of the original russian lines that didn't change and the new ones in english): https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtlang

6. Jeanette

Jeanette First time out of the vault

Sep 24, 2018
    Thanks for your reply))... However I wouldnt be asking if I had PC to begin with. Crap happened about year ago and I still cant buy new one)).

7. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    If You can't afford a PC maybe try an x86 windows 10 bay trail tablet (search on auctions such as ebay. cheapest ones should be below 100 USD (aim for min. 2GB ram, 32 built in flash memory + microsd support 64GB or more). classic Fallout runs well on those out of the box. Newer crapware such as Fo3 or Fo:NV might too if you set low details and follow instructions how to run them on modern systems {Fo3 has a tendendy not to work out of the box on win 7 8.1 and 10} If You Live in US You shouldn't have problems getting one of theese tablets cheaply (be sure to install everything [incliding Fallout games] on the microsd card. If running newer games make sure You've got high end microsd with 100MB/s read 90MB/s write speeds and set it to buffer data under device manager and it should run fine). as for Fo4 and newer games simply forget about it not worth the hassle + not possible to run on x86. It requires x64 plus a minimum of 8GB prices for theese among tablets go high.
    it really desn't take much of a PC to run old Fallout games.

Basically any Garbage PC would do just fine, as long as it is a PC, not some motherboaed from a washing machine:p

8. Muttie

Muttie First time out of the vault

Oct 9, 2017
    I can confirm this.
    My specs are: Windows 7. AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor 2,80 Ghz with NVIDIA GeForce 7025/NVIDIA nForce 630a, 2,00 RAM (only 1,75 usable, don't know what the missing 0,25 are doing, but it can't be anything good) and a 32-bit system.
    and it runs all Fallout games fine, only RP Mod has some stuttering problems (especially on the EPA), but Resurrection and Nevada run fine. And it did cost 400 bucks 8 years ago and that included a monitor back then. Not sure if that is a wise investment, but if all you need is a complicated typewriter with emotional issues and a way to play Fallout, it will do just fine. Just as gustarballs1983 says.

9. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    Man I'd check if You have onboard GPU enabled on that mobo and turn it off in UEFI/BIOS it possibly ate 258MB of your ram just to sit and do nothing since You use a NVIDIA card, Besides I'd stay clear from MoBos with nForce chipsets as they tend to have a lot of issues especially when running AMD GPU.
    As 4 me I also use outdated hardware only recently bought a better GPU to check out Fo4 (well at least I don't regret the GPU purchase since Fo4 was wasted money).

got 8Gigs of ram on a Core2 quad procesor HDD only drive and win 7 x64 (and I also have terrible slowdowns on EPA both on Radeon HD4850 and later on Radeon R9 390X).

However this is getting off topic people.. this thread is about FIXT for Fo1 so conversate about FIXT..

10. johnmilk

johnmilk First time out of the vault

Oct 9, 2018
    Where do I get Sfall 1.8 that I have seen mentioned, the link on crafty's profile links to a dropbox site with version 1.7, or is this the latest version?

Furthermore, I can just copy and paste it into the Fallout Fixt directory and overwrite correct?

11. gustarballs1983

Oct 28, 2009
    the one in crafty's profile is Sfall1[dot]7z as in Sfall1 (a.k.a sfall for fallout 1) and the file extension is .7z (as in 7-zip file most popular freeware/opensource/whateva file compresser/decompresser on the contrary to win-rar wich is perhaps a common disbelief commercial software). If You look closely at the russian changelog latest version is v1.8 although english changelog did not get translated since like v1.4. And yes You should be fine by copying both files as long as you configure it properly. I don't remember the details about Crafty's Sfalls and what is to change in them. Just be sure to set everything you've set in basic FIXT ddraw.ini to also reflect the changes in Crafty's ddraw.ini from sfall1 v 1.8 .

12. RyanFialcowitz

RyanFialcowitz First time out of the vault

Jul 30, 2005
    Killing Bob, the used car salesman, disables the Tell Me About button for the children & citizens of Shady Sands. Other N.P.C.'s seem to work normally although I didn't test many.

Also, if anyone is interested I extracted The Hero Appearance Mod from Killap's Restoration Project and edited the descriptions to make sense for the first game. Seems to be working rather well.