Project Van Buren [Unity3D]

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Hardboiled Wanderer, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hardboiled Wanderer

Hardboiled Wanderer First time out of the vault

Apr 24, 2016
    Hi there mutants,

I know what you may think after reading the thread title - another wanna-be Van Buren remake that will die in next two months. And maybe you are right. I dont see it possible to do anything worth playing all alone on my own. Heck, I know what it takes to make such a massive RPG. So, why do I even bother doing any of this, you may ask. Well, there are several reasons for it, like learning new things, improving skills in Unity, you name it..., but the first and foremost - Love for Interplay's Fallouts.

Van Buren - Fallout game we deserved, though never got. Everyone who had read the design documents will most probably agree that this could have been the best RPG ever created. Since those documents and concepts are out on the net (and it has been many damn years since then), I have always had that "shrapnel in the head", like "damn, we have the concepts, we have most of the design, I have the hands and Unity skills, and friend of mine has a brain and actual designing skills (and none of us have a trademark for it, but fuck it), hell, lets do something about it".

So here it comes - my 3 months work (not continual of course). Burham Springs

I dont even know why I have chosen Burham Springs as a first map to work on. I liked the design and after reading Josh Sawyer's comments on it, I instantly came out with the idea on how it should look.

Now, the screenshot above is taken from, as you can see, (kind of) cinematic view. The game itself, however is 3D isometric game. Camera movement is pretty similar to Wasteland 2 (my biggest inspiration for this work), or any other old-school RPG. Actual-gameplay screenshot:

Maybe you can recognize some assets (like road for instance) from other games :D Yes, you got me, I "borrowed" it from New Vegas (though handly converted it, was a hell of a job at first). Mostly though, I bought, modified or even created assets (and pirated a few... I work in steel foundry man, I'm not a billionare ok?). My actual spending is about 90€ now.

In general, map is inspired by original concept drawing of the exterior map, though I added some of my own imagination into it. Take a look:

Map is not completly done yet, especially the mine complex, which I am about to play with for a loooong loooong time as I love industrial enviroments. This post is meant just to show what I am up to, as well as to see whether the community (and I couldn't have find better Fallout community anywhere else but here) likes it at least a bit - I mean visual style, level of detail and such...

Please let me know whatever you have on your mind, even criticise, I need to hear it.

HardBoiled out.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  2. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog Every fucking day. Every single fucking day.

Jun 28, 2018
    This is cool AF but why Unity3D? Cost? I've heard little good about it. EDIT2: Derp, right, you've got the skills for it. Sorry, must have skimmed over that part.

EDIT: Also, methinks this might be the wrong forum section.

EDIT 3: Um, you won't get in trouble for adapting assets from New Vegas will you? I sincerely hope not.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  3. Hardboiled Wanderer

Apr 24, 2016
    Well, for the past 2 years it's getting better than ever. Optimalisation, visual improvements, better platform support. But the main reason is that Unity is really the easiest engine to work with, with huge support, I'm not afraid to say that is has the best asset compatibility, and after all - it's free.

4. Pariah Dog

Pariah Dog Every fucking day. Every single fucking day.

Jun 28, 2018
    Well, that's good. I look forward to seeing what you can make it do. And if nothing else, it can't possibly be worse than Gamebryo :P

5. Hardboiled Wanderer

Apr 24, 2016
    As far as I know, there is no restriction for using anything as long as it is not commercially profiting, because than it would be case of selling property without ownership.

6. Negativity

Negativity Take a dirt nap

Oct 19, 2017
    That looks cool, but I think you're right, you'll forget about it by next week. Otherwise if you need help with anything I'm sure you could ask on here. I could try producing an intro cinematic if you wanted? or nah it's all just up in the air really isn't it.

7. Pwener

Pwener Tunnelers? They Don't Sound That Tough...

Aug 15, 2017
    Give it another twenty years and we can start pooling everyone's assorted work on the game and we would have roughly... 12% of the game finished. Keep at it guys! I believe! I BELIEVE!

(Goes back to playing Fallout 3 shamelessly).

8. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    Screenshots are all well in good but I'm far more interested in the game mechanics the game will be designed with.

Have you done all of the pre-production, and planned out the entire development of the project? If not I strongly suggest you do and include milestones to track your progress. If this is your first game development project seek assistance.

Without doing a comprehensive pre-production, and development pipeline with milestones this project will never get finished. Not to crap on the effort, just being very realistic.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  9. Hardboiled Wanderer

Apr 24, 2016
    Now thats the good point. As I have mentioned above, a friend of mine, a good designer (who actually works in game industry) is my brain for designing and mainly writting. To answer your question - yes, we have discussed the core mechanics, general design ideas and many other topics, all has been (and still is being) written and catalogized, along with finding and studying the original design documents, deciding what is usable and what is not (Joshua Grahams design is not suitable as they wrote it for instance, as New Vegas changed the canon lore greatly, the same goes for Hoover Dam design). We have had an argument about combat mechanics for example, as I am sort of an old school RPG player who likes turn-based combat and as for in-game developing, I am greatly inspired by Wasteland 2. Not that my colleague is less of an old-school RPG player, he, however, insists on real-time combat. Conclusion was not yet done completly, though our current goal is to implement combined combat system as it was originally planned for Van Buren. That would greatly change the level-design for example, and I can feel it as a huge challenge, but I think we can come up with something that will work.

As for writting and design, we would like to stick to the original design documents where it is possible. Also, in several cases we have found a good ways of improving and adding some of our design - like new major faction to the south of our world map. It is inspired by Raul Tejada and some of the memories he have revealed in New Vegas about this areas. (long-bullshit shorter: Faction of Mexicans around Phoenix, not gonna spoil the details). Other than that, well-known factions we love Fallout for are back - much younger and smaller Caesars Legion, the BoS at its worse time during the open war with the more and more arrogant NCR, "peacefull half-jews with .45s" (as we call them :D) in New Canaan and about dozen of tribes (and my plan is to even increase the number) spread all over 4 states border area, plus the tribes elsewhere. Los Alamos ghouls, Denver scavs, Legionares in their capital Farmington (now Aztecinium)... lot of stuff.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    Well then all I can say is stick to the schedule and good luck.