xkcon's ultimate rip off Mod (Unofficial expansion for FOT)

Discussion in 'Fallout Tactics Modding' started by xkcon, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Specterofmyjohnson

Specterofmyjohnson First time out of the vault

Nov 12, 2017
    Alright, I edited the fcity pass ( and a spiffy nice new suit of power armour ) into my next mission! Hopefully everything will work now after full reinstall and whatnot. Thanks so much for the help! Sorry for the lip, I had a bit much to drink after I messed my game up lol. Mad kudos to you on the mod, especially after fooling with the editor! You crazy badass mother two thousand zero zero nine whooops outta time, my bacon's smellin fine!

2. nadeauhugo

nadeauhugo Author of FOT mod THE SUM Modder

Mar 9, 2014
    WHAAA! I have much to read here! I will do that soon. But in the meanwhile, if you want to remove the black border, what I do is to play the game not in full screen (using /w in box.exe or ft improver.exe shortcut I don't remember which) and then choose in Active presenter to lock the recording on one specific application in the settings. I choose "bos.exe" as the locked application and it creates a small video (like 800x600) of the size of the program you choose, which look better when listen to in a smaller player...

3. xkcon

xkcon Transcending the Multiverse

Apr 2, 2003
    Alright guys... The new Version is out. The Undead bug issue should be resolved now, and it should be a much better experience for people who are exclusively turn based players. Sorry to any turnbased guys who had a hard time, it should be smooth sailing now!!

Get Version 0.895 here: http://www.xkcon.net/

This should be the most stable and polished version yet. I will upload a copy to MODDB in the next few days.
    fbos0598.jpg

4. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    Hugo thanks for all your help and insights, but I'm still having troubles to get it right.

"....if you want to remove the black border, what I do is to play the game not in full screen (using /w in box.exe or ft improver.exe shortcut I don't remember which) and then choose in Active presenter to lock the recording on one specific application in the settings. I choose "bos.exe" as the locked appli...."

Can you be more specific on how to do this. I don't understand what you mean "using /w"

also guys, The new version is out on MODDB

http://www.moddb.com/games/fallout-tactics-brotherhood-of-steel/downloads/coreversion0-895

or get it here:

http://www.xkcon.net/

5. nadeauhugo

nadeauhugo Author of FOT mod THE SUM Modder

Mar 9, 2014
    Oh sorry it is more -window or -w than /w.... Take a look at this page, it explain how to play a game (like Tactics) in windowed mode. Windowed mode will be very useful to you when it comes to record in-game videos. I also use it every damn time I work on my mod. With ft Improver option to have more than one BOS processes at the same time, it allow me to have 1 or 2 level editors and entity editor opened at the same time... and more than that, one opened just next to another for a quick switch between them.

https://www.lifewire.com/computer-game-windowed-mode-837057

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  6. boskibonk

boskibonk First time out of the vault

Dec 21, 2017
    Hi, been playing and enjoying mod a lot, it sprinkles a lot of new life to tactics and fallout in general.
    Got a couple of questions / problems, that are partially present because old and clunky fot engine ( no item highlight, etc, and partially because Your mod is hard and complicated ( which is actually a good thing ). Dont get me wrong, i like riddles and solving, exploring, etc. Its just sometimes annoying when I am struck and cant find help anywhere.
    Especially when there are so many possibilities the problem can be solved and figuring out all of that on my own is sometimes just stressful.
    I was able to solve almost every location and quest, with two exceptions

So i got two questions, one regarding the Tomb, and second, cloning center.

Is that Tomb accesible after bramin wood? i mean, do i need some BETA bunker or such? I finished bramin wood and gone to rampage, exploring world and maps, found 3 necro books, gave to Boris, hell, even found GECK^^ but now i cant find that Tomb entrace and I dont know if its just my poor understanding of riddle or just i need to be deeper in Tactics storyline.

Second question is about clonning center.
    Its really poorly designed, i mean, its okay but i got some items that have no description, not sure what to do with them.
    I tried a lot of things, hell, i ever tried to give terminal in ''power'' room microfusion cells.
    Now i am stuck and not sure what to do, i looked for a keycard or such that i could miss, but no clue.
    The last room that i got acces to was power room, it says '' power converter not detected ''
    Only items i have are plasma coupler ( no destcription on that ) and some pass key ( again, no desc. )
    I am puzzled and begin to think that some items needed are in other map or smth...
    I also noted that there are two items in third storage room, and some room in office with a safe, but i cant get acces to those room, cant find more keycards... ehh

A walktrough would be real nice, considering most of areas are complex and contains riddles, and tbh, Tactics is poorly designed engine for that sort of gameplay, so it isnt helpful at all.
    Anyway, thanks for a great mod that actually makes Tactics replayable:)
    P.S About the cloning center, well i got myself new, shine copy of dupre^^ the clue to opening that door was very subtle, or i could say ''subtle''. Thanks, good job, and it was priceless to figure it out on my own:)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  7. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    Thanks for the help again. I checked out the link and I attempted the short cut method with -w and -window and I got a path not valid error. * sigh * I'll keep trying and maybe attempt some of the other methods mentioned like editing the .ini file.

As usual things don't come easy ... Too bad too, I wanted to make a 'Lost Temple of Agarapichu' trailer video...

8. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    "Hi, been playing and enjoying mod a lot, it sprinkles a lot of new life to tactics and fallout in general.
    Got a couple of questions / problems, that are partially present because old and clunky fot engine ( no item highlight, etc, and partially because Your mod is hard and complicated ( which is actually a good thing ). Dont get me wrong, i like riddles and solving, exploring, etc. Its just sometimes annoying when I am struck and cant find help anywhere.
    Especially when there are so many possibilities the problem can be solved and figuring out all of that on my own is sometimes just stressful.
    I was able to solve almost every location and quest, with two exceptions"

Thanks for playing, glad that you are enjoying it. You are right about FOT being a clunky engine. Almost all quests have many possible endings instead of the 'just complete the quest ending' ie: what happens if you kill the actors in a quest? then what? or what if you refuse to return the quest object to it's questmaster? it was very hard to nail down every possible choice a player can make for each specific quest, but I think I managed to come as close as possible. If any one finds a bug or whatnot please report it here...

"Second question is about clonning center.
    Its really poorly designed, i mean, its okay but i got some items that have no description, not sure what to do with them.
    I tried a lot of things, hell, i ever tried to give terminal in ''power'' room microfusion cells.
    Now i am stuck and not sure what to do, i looked for a keycard or such that i could miss, but no clue.
    The last room that i got acces to was power room, it says '' power converter not detected ''
    Only items i have are plasma coupler ( no destcription on that ) and some pass key ( again, no desc. )
    I am puzzled and begin to think that some items needed are in other map or smth...
    I also noted that there are two items in third storage room, and some room in office with a safe, but i cant get acces to those room, cant find more keycards... ehh"

Regarding the cloning center aka 'Sleeper Base' -- I disagree that it is 'really poorly designed' -- The overall design is ported as close as possible from Wasteland 1. The plasma coupler and Rom boards and a few other items are just Trophy Items, not everything is mean't to be used. did you manage to activate the Holo-Doctor ? I see from your PS comments that did eventually manage to figure it all out and get the power on and create a clone -- maybe not so 'poorly designed' afterall...

9. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    "Is that Tomb accesible after bramin wood? i mean, do i need some BETA bunker or such? I finished bramin wood and gone to rampage, exploring world and maps, found 3 necro books, gave to Boris, hell, even found GECK^^ but now i cant find that Tomb entrace and I dont know if its just my poor understanding of riddle or just i need to be deeper in Tactics storyline."

By "Tomb', I guess you mean 'The Temple of Agarapichu'...

To find the sacred location of Agarapichu, the answer is in the Satellite station and the Forbidden Zone
    fbos0608.jpg

Also... Most content can be accessed without going too deep into the Actual FOT storyline, except if you wish to become an Alkida terrorist/freedom fighter -- then you need to play the actual original campaign a bit deeper. I suggest you play the original missions anyway as you will get access to more recruits and better armor and weapons -- plus all original missions are beefed up to be way more hard with more enemies and XP.

Also again... Since you gave the 3 necro books to Boris, make sure you find the Sacrificial chamber in the Temple of Agarapichu, if you are lucky you can catch Boris just in time to see him perform the sacrificial rite... If you keep the books instead of giving them to Boris, then you can perform the sacrifice yourself.
    fbos0311.jpg
    fbos0315.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  10. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    One more thing guys. Try to take your time on each map, and really be thorough. If you try to sprint through each map you are going to miss out on stuff. And honestly, most of my bigger town maps are meant to be visited and re-Visited multiple times to get all the content.
    This is especially true if you play the HEAT storyline, quite often after a score, Niel will tell you to leave town and lay low for a while... This is a good time to go and do a brotherhood mission or Farm some Random encounter XP or even explore other areas.

11. Arathos

Arathos First time out of the vault

Feb 2, 2017
    Nice, btw I recall you saying something about adding more maps to the game later. Any estimates when that might happen?

12. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    As far as more maps, I plan to add four more maps to the campaign to take it to Version 1.0

The maps aren't nowhere near ready to add right now, but if there is a significant interest, I will speed up the process to get them in.

The maps will be added one at a time, so I can get one map out in a reasonable amount of time. The first map to be added will be the 'BOS Labor camps' and this map will allow you a 'final solution' to any unwanted recruits in your recruit pool, and a few other quests and rewards.

Also have planned for two more bigger towns, but they are a ways off...

Also I want to add, that because FOT is a very clunky engine, when playing my mod that you always check the NPC click speech until he is finished talking. You will know they are done talking when they won't say anything new or won't say anything at all, but make sure to really read what they say. They always tell you EXACTLY what to do, but read them thoroughly. If you felt like you missed what an NPC says, you can always check you PIP boy Dialogue.

13. xkcon

Apr 2, 2003
    Talking with zegh8578 about open ended gameplay after defeating the calculator, here we see 'SeeDee' about to volunteer her brain so the squad can continue with post-play.
    fbos0610.jpg
    Much more to explore and non linear gameplay.
    fbos0611.jpg