☢ The NMA Atomik Movie Gang: The New Barbarians (1983)

Which movie would you like to watch?

• Mad Max (1979)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pulse (2001)

• The Day After (1983)

• The New Barbarians (1983)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • The Last Man on Earth (1964)

• Night of the Comet (1984)

• Day of the Triffids (1963)

• Delicatessen (1991)

• The Road (2009)

• A Boy and His Dog (1975)

• Six-String Samurai (1998)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Risewild

Antediluvian as Feck
Modder
Orderite
It's time for the second "NMA Atomik Movie Gang" poll. The movie that gets more votes is the movie we will watch and then discuss on this thread.

Anyone can vote and participate in this.

Here are IMDb links for all the options, for your convenience:

The winner was: The New Barbarians (1983).

Internet Archive version:

Youtube version:

Last edited:
Fuck, I know I requested The Day After but I didn’t know Six-String Samurai was in the rounds. Gotta vote for it now.

The New Barbarians is for sure a B movie but it is worth a watch. The main thing that sucks is the soundtrack. I think with another soundtrack it would be a better movie.

newbarbariansprete.jpg

And the winner is "The New Barbarians (1983)".

If you don't have any other way of watching it, you can watch it or download it from the Internet Archive:

The next poll will be up and running next Tuesday/Wednesday depending on the time zones. So start suggesting movies, you can still suggest the same movie you did last time if it didn't win.

Fuck, I know I requested The Day After but I didn’t know Six-String Samurai was in the rounds. Gotta vote for it now.
It didn't win this time, but it was close.
Since movies that have any votes get added to the next polls, it might be the winner next week.

Aw, I can't watch it over that site, the video is a weird kinda glitchy laggy..
You can try downloading it from that site. There's an MPEG4 version (size 547 MB) and a OGG Video version (size 400 MB). There's also a torrent that contains both video files.

And I just found it on Youtube too, if you prefer not having to download anything ;):

Ok, since no one talked about this movie (I don't even know if anyone besides me watched it), I will do the honours.
Like Toront said before, it's definitely a B movie. But it's a fun B movie to watch.

Scorpion is the tough main character. But unlike many main characters, he loses a few times in fights and only survives because he has good friends. This makes it more believable than the "invincible main character" we see in many movies.

I liked how all the weapons and vehicles were represented as being electric (even what looked like to be an M-16 :lmao:), this removes the need for coming up with a reason why there would still be usable gas and ammo in a post-apocalyptic world 7 years (at least I think they said it was 7 years) after the end of civilization.

I liked how it showed that humans were still hanging on to hope and trying to gather together to form new communities. I also liked the evil faction and how their leader thought there was no hope since human society was gone forever, so he would just speed up the destruction of humanity by killing anyone that wasn't part of his faction. When confronted with people telling him that they found radio signals that could prove that there was still civilization out there he just denied it and refused to listen. He was too lost on his convictions and beliefs and wouldn't ever admit to being wrong or that what he was doing was wrong in any way.

I liked how it was implied that One (leader of the evil faction called the Templars) was in love with Scorpion (the main character) who had been part of the Templars in the past but left since he liked life too much or something like that.

I liked how the main villain met his end, which I won't spoil here, but it was pretty symbolic. :smug:

I would have liked some more background information about Scorpion's friends. Where Nadir comes from and how did he meet Scorpion would be an interesting story, same for the young Genius, what's his backstory? How did he manage to survive by himself, where did he learn so much about gadgets and stuff, and what kind of projectiles did he use on his slingshot?

Some things that could have been better in my opinion:
Once again, I thought that the romance between Scorpion and Alma was too rushed (just like the one from The Omega Man).
I wondered how some of the vehicles' weapons would reload themselves. The "cannon" on the Templars' buggy seemed like it wouldn't be able to reload itself, and yet it shot a few times in a row, same with Scorpion's rear trunk missiles.
I thought that the spinny blades fan weapon was ridiculous and wouldn't be able to hit anyone if they just lay down when it comes close to them. :lmao:
I wondered why the young genius didn't make armor for himself and Nadir too, maybe Nadir was too proud of being the strongest and wouldn't want an armor, but the kid could definitely use one, maybe the plastic-like material is actually quite heavy, so a kid wouldn't be able to move in an armor made from it or maybe there wasn't enough material for more than one armor.
Also, why didn't Scorpion wear a shirt or other clothes under the armor, I guess it was some fanservice for those that want to look at the pecs of Scorpion or something.

Anyway, I hadn't watched this movie before, and I enjoyed the view. I would really love to know more about this world and its characters. And I think it could have been a good IP to have post-apoc games made using it.

Also, I don't see any new suggestions for the next poll, so I will have to use some of the old ones (although I have a feeling Six-String Samurai might win).

Last edited:
Got some time to watch it and yeah that's a bit too b-movie for my taste.
Thanks for trying. :mrgreen:

And it goes without saying. But if any of you doesn't like a movie, then you don't have to endure and watch it (unless you really want to). This is supposed to be a fun thing, not torture. :lmao:

Well I mean we could maybe just let people watch one of three from a list so people actually watch them unlike that last time we tried this thing and eventually it died out because nobody owns the movie (PIRATE) or whatever (STREAM) but eh this is at least moving along.

Well I mean we could maybe just let people watch one of three from a list so people actually watch them unlike that last time we tried this thing and eventually it died out because nobody owns the movie (PIRATE) or whatever (STREAM) but eh this is at least moving along.
I guess I could only accept movie suggestions that I can find the full movie on places like Youtube, Internet Archive or any other free (and that doesn't require an account) video streaming place.

That is why I wanted to work on hosting the movie on a certain day as well for people that cannot find it.

That is why I wanted to work on hosting the movie on a certain day as well for people that cannot find it.
What we tried to do before on discord?
I wanted to figure that stuff out but I got distracted by other things because I'm a FUCKEN BIMBO. :dance:

I'm currently watching this movie. The sounds of the cars is so annoying. But so far, it's a fun romp. I like b-movies. Just a bunch of dudes having fun making a little movie. Good stuff.

Cars are killing me, though, hah.

I also hate that Mad Max has set the groundwork for every post apocalyptic setting to be laced with gay leather fetish gear.

Edit:
Just finished the movie. I echo everything already said in the thread. The worst part of the film was the sound design and soundtrack.

Scorpion's armor reveal was hilarious. Just clear plastic. So great. Costume design was bonkers.

I found the movie didn't hold my attention as much as I wanted to. Like with many movies of this type, there was padding to get to the holy 90 minute mark. Overall, I do think it's a good movie, one to watch with friends. Needed to be more Italian, though. Not Italian enough.

PS: Scorpion got violated. :c

Last edited:
The worst part of the film was the sound design and soundtrack.

Yeah, the sounds were pretty cheezy and repetitive.

I forgot to mention that I liked how Scorpion's car lost one of the doors and kept not having that door for the rest of the movie. Most movies would have added back the door at the first chance (probably after the kid repaired and tweaked the car).

PS: Scorpion got violated. :c
I bet it was to justify his deadly revenge at the end.

Last edited:
I might getting some people to come over for movie night at Underground.

Back