A little question to the scientifically educated crowd...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Member of Khans, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Member of Khans

Member of Khans Vault Dweller

Aug 26, 2004
    So, the other day while I was sitting in Physics for Biologist, a question occurred to my mind.
    Obviously there are quite some scientists and engineers among our forum members, so maybe someone is able to answer this...

Does ANYBODY actually understand thermodynamics?!?

I mean, really, actually, completely...

2. SnaX

SnaX It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2004
    It's like moving particles create friction, which in turn create heat, which can then be harnessed as usable energy... ya, I'm a journalism major. It's the idea behind a steam engine basically, right?

3. Roshambo

Roshambo Antediluvian as Feck

Apr 3, 2003
  4. Member of Khans

Aug 26, 2004
    Good one, Rosh. Old but good. :D

Yeah, I got it to this point. Hell, I know how a stupid Stirling engine works.
    But seriously: the theory behind thermodynamics, wtf?

Sorry guys, I'm just a bit frustrated at the moment.

Okay, back to the books.

5. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    Man, this thing is cool (despite he proved Hell is not cool :P )

6. victor

victor Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite

Dec 12, 2003
    I scored a 4/5 on the Thermodynamics exam in uni, I think I pretty much got it. PM me or something.

7. quietfanatic

quietfanatic Ancient One

Dec 10, 2003
    I only studied it at a superficial level for biochemistry. I glossed over the maths, so I wouldn't say I have the best understanding of it.

8. Member of Khans

Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks, but my gf managed to explain the whole thing to me this morning. Yeah, having a nerdy girlfriend rocks, I tell you!

Btw: Was the second-best in thermodynamics the last term. I barely passed. 95 % of the class failed. So, one writing a rather good test does not mean one really got into it.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Nov 24, 2003
    Thermodynamics and I have a tenuous relatonship. We agree that when we see each other out on the town we politely ignore each other.

Otherwise, what's on your mind?

10. Member of Khans

Aug 26, 2004
    Uh, I didn't really want to make a point here. I asked just out of interest. Because nobody seems to get this damn topic, everybody fails the stupid test, and my aunt (Diploma in materials science) told me I will get used to not understanding anything in the next semesters.
    Seems pretty much thermodynamics is like Rammstein: a lot of people think it's cool, but nobody understood it.

11. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    "Thermodynamics" is not nearly as cool a word as "thermonuclear", although both amount to moving particles. I think :look:

12. S

S First time out of the vault

Dec 13, 2005
    Re: A little question to the scientifically educated crowd..

Thermodynamics as in laws of energy right ? ... think wikipedia has a good explanation of thermodynamics. though i think the section about free energy entrophy is rather badly explained. I say that thermodynamics is pretty well understood ... depends on what you would classify as understood. personally one can't really truly understand.

thermo = energy
    dynamics = kinetics of particles ... thats what i think it means :wink:

13. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey, gang, look, it's S, the Chinese spy. Welcome back, S. ;)

14. victor

victor Antediluvian as Feck
    Orderite

Dec 12, 2003
    [sarcasm]

Wow, your educational system is really top-notch!

[/sarcasm]

How come I studied thermodynamics and understood it then?

15. Member of Khans

Aug 26, 2004
    I actually think it's quite okay. It it a bit bureaucratic and could be better in certain things, but overall I don't have to complain.
    It has a pretty good reputation, at least.

You have a sense for physics? You had a good teacher? Maybe?

16. Chris Parks

Chris Parks Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 10, 2006
    I've been studying Thermodynamics for quite a while now and IMO it's relatively simple. Just a bunce of rules that things follow and once you've got those, you're done!

If you want difficult, try advanced quantum mechanics... there's something to fry your brain.