A Mapper that Works?

BrotherhoodOfFallout

First time out of the vault
I don't know if this was ever discussed or not, and I'm kind of new to your site. I have the Steam version of Fallout 2, and I've been looking for the Mapper program for Fallout 2. I understand that this is the tool used to create mods. Unfortunately, I get the Mapper, put it in the right directory, and it will not work either way. Even when it does work, the colors get all bad; and that happened to me last year. It also seems to have a problem with the texts and fonts.
I'm looking for the Fallout 2 Mapper again, and this time I'm looking for one that can work on a 64-bit Windows 7. The game itself seems to work on there. Along with that, I was wondering if you have a section somewhere in your forums that gives tutorials on Fallout 2 modding.

It's not like there are many mappers to chose from. Was the fan made mapper even ever really working?

So yeah, BIS mapper + hi-res patch and that's it, works perfect.

About text and fonts, open the mapper.cfg file and search for "language=english" - replace english with whatever language version your Fallout 2 is. You can see that in the fallout2.cfg file. Example: "german", etc.

Are the file paths correct?

critter_dat= points to critter.dat
critter_patches= points to the \data folder
master_dat= points to master.dat
master_patches= points to the \data folder

Are the file paths correct?

critter_dat= points to critter.dat
critter_patches= points to the \data folder
master_dat= points to master.dat
master_patches= points to the \data folder
Both cfg files for Fallout 2 and the mapper are the same. They read in the exact text I'm providing:

critter_dat=critter.dat
critter_patches=data
master_dat=master.dat
master_patches=data

Yup, there's your problem. Critter.dat and Master.dat files are in the Fallout2/ folder and not in Fallout2/BIS mapper/ so the mapper can't find the files.

Change the paths to direct links and it should work. Example:
critter_dat=F:\Fallout\Fallout2\ShatteredDestiny3\critter.dat
critter_patches=f:\Fallout\Fallout2\ShatteredDestiny3\data
master_dat=F:\Fallout\Fallout2\ShatteredDestiny3\master.dat
master_patches=f:\Fallout\Fallout2\ShatteredDestiny3\data

You can also do it the way I mentioned here, but eh... it's the mapper.

The link you provided was easier to understand. It works now. Thank you.

I also asked if there was a section in your forums that provided tutorials on how to use the mapper. Please understand that this is my first time.

There should be a Fallout_Editor.pdf or Fallout_Editor.doc that comes with the mapper.

The developers created the entire game using that mapper. I assure you, it works.

I can not get the BIS_mapper to start.
When I run mapper2.exe I get an error saying I'm trying to use sFall with an incompatible version of Fallout.
That I'm not using Fallout 1.02 US. I'm using the Steam version.

There is a technical error code. Fallout2.exe had an unexpected crc.
Was expecting 0xe1680293. But got 0xf4ab795e.

Sfall doesn't work with the mapper. You can't install it directly into your Fallout 2 folder. Put it in Fallout2/Mapper/ or whatever.

Sfall doesn't work with the mapper. You can't install it directly into your Fallout 2 folder. Put it in Fallout2/Mapper/ or whatever.

Forgot to say thanks for the fix! Before installing any mods, I made a backup of the base Steam folder. Dropped the mapper into it and deleted the Sfall files. Worked like a charm.
I've already edited Bunker 21. Added a lot and fixed a lot. It's now a proper base for the King of the Wastes.

It's not like there are many mappers to chose from. Was the fan made mapper even ever really working?

So yeah, BIS mapper + hi-res patch and that's it, works perfect.

About text and fonts, open the mapper.cfg file and search for "language=english" - replace english with whatever language version your Fallout 2 is. You can see that in the fallout2.cfg file. Example: "german", etc.

I don't know if I'm doing this right and I don't know if anyone's uses the mapper anymore,
So I finally got it to work but then I got this error
assertion failed node_frame != Null, file.. game\OBJECT.C, Line 5376

Probably a proto error. Did you set the proto folder to read only? Also is the mapper language set to the same as your Fallout 2 language?

I have an issue I can't change my Proto
Everytime I uncheck read only.
I open it up again and then it's set to read only I can't change it

Back