A new-found appreciation for Fallout 3

I think a lot of people missed with the Master that his plan was unnecessary and humanity was already rebuilding.
I agree with what SquidVan said about this. The Master’s plan wasn’t “necessary” because humans were stuck in a perpetual dark age after the war. It was necessary because, in his opinion, human nature was the ultimate cause of the end of the world, and if humans don’t change then the world could and will end again. This fits with the theme of fallout, particularly the first game, that posits that humans are naturally violent and with large scale societies this only gets worse. It doesn’t have anything to do with rebuilding humanity. As you said before, humanity is rebuilding just fine considering the circumstances.

That’s why I prefer the Master to the Enclave. He represents this pessimistic idea that really appealed to my edgy 11 year old self. Whereas the Enclave, to me, is a continuation of the idea put forth in subsequent games that the U.S. government was actually really competent and in control the entire time, they were just totally evil. I’d prefer to think they were just greedy, corrupt, and short sighted. It’s also why I’m not a huge fan of the vault experiments idea. It’s a cool conspiracy, sure, but I think it’s more likely that the vaults were more of a jobs program, a product of a bloated defense budget, and their failures were a result of cutting corners and general incompetence rather than some grand social experiment.

Imagine thinking New Vegas is any good because of Fallout 3 and that Fallout 3 was a good template for any thing. Fallout 3 is the crippling flaw of New Vegas because it had it used its shit engine. If New Vegas was built on a much better engine, it could have achieved a much greater status of quality.

Also, nothing and i repeat nothing that New Vegas did well had anything to do with Fallout 3. Not the writing, not the quest quality, not the factions, not the world building, not the world map, literally fucking nothing. Fallout 3 is basically a cancer stuck to New Vegas that it can never get rid of.

I have seen this retarded, actually false argument being thrown around. Thinking we should be grateful to Fallout 3 because it allowed New Vegas to exist. What actually happened in the end was a big amount of missed potential because a good game had to built on a broken, completely shattered foundation.

I agree with what SquidVan said about this. The Master’s plan wasn’t “necessary” because humans were stuck in a perpetual dark age after the war. It was necessary because, in his opinion, human nature was the ultimate cause of the end of the world, and if humans don’t change then the world could and will end again. This fits with the theme of fallout, particularly the first game, that posits that humans are naturally violent and with large scale societies this only gets worse. It doesn’t have anything to do with rebuilding humanity. As you said before, humanity is rebuilding just fine considering the circumstances.

That’s why I prefer the Master to the Enclave. He represents this pessimistic idea that really appealed to my edgy 11 year old self. Whereas the Enclave, to me, is a continuation of the idea put forth in subsequent games that the U.S. government was actually really competent and in control the entire time, they were just totally evil. I’d prefer to think they were just greedy, corrupt, and short sighted. It’s also why I’m not a huge fan of the vault experiments idea. It’s a cool conspiracy, sure, but I think it’s more likely that the vaults were more of a jobs program, a product of a bloated defense budget, and their failures were a result of cutting corners and general incompetence rather than some grand social experiment.

Eh, the Enclave are a bunch of morons and their plan is utterly stupid. We see it constantly. Not the least being wiping out all mutated life on Earth is wiping out the entire ecology of the world.

I like to think their plan to escape into space was equally stupid and that's why they lived on an oil rig.

Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game. There's just no competition.
C16909D9-D05F-40F5-8197-666279450D68.gif

Seriously though, you’re being too obvious now.

Back