A question on the Commonwealth

Paladin Frost

First time out of the vault
So, I've played through Fallout 3 (and went back to fallout 2) and one question is hanging in my mind: Why havent I heard of the commonwealth before? Did I miss it somewhere, or is it something Bethesda pulled out of theyre asses?

Btw, where can you find the commonwealth? They say they live somewhere up North, but I can't really find it in the FO3 world. Re they living in Canada?

Rad Blaggard said:
Commonwealth of Massachusetts

"The Institute" = MIT
Well that's debatable. Pennsylvania is also called a commonwealth and, that in a way, makes more sense than Massachusetts. Plus MIT would've long been wiped off the map. Boston is probably a higher priority target than even Chicago because it's harbor and even it's institutions like MIT and Harvard. It's not canon is what I'm saying.

M-26-7 said:
Rad Blaggard said:
Commonwealth of Massachusetts

"The Institute" = MIT
Well that's debatable. Pennsylvania is also called a commonwealth and, that in a way, makes more sense than Massachusetts. Plus MIT would've long been wiped off the map. Boston is probably a higher priority target than even Chicago because it's harbor and even it's institutions like MIT and Harvard. It's not canon is what I'm saying.
I was thinking Pennsylvania would make more sense as well. It would fit better with the "The Pitt" story.

That said, there are 4 commonwealths in America. Two are north of DC (Mass and PA). Though I imagine everything from Boston to Fairfax would have been wiped off the map. 5 of the 6 Ivy League schools (Yale, Brown, Harvard, Princeton and Penn) plus it's the most densely populated part of the country, our government and economy are also centered here in the Northeast Corridor. Not to mention major naval shipyards in Philly, Boston and Virginia...

Eyenixon said:
It's the Commonwealth of Virgina.
Jaysues!

You can find the Fairfax ruins in the game itself.
Last time I checked my map, Virginia isn't north of Maryland...

Um.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/United_States_of_America#The_commonwealths

The US in Fallout is divided into 13 Commonwealths rather than 50 states. Hence also the different flag.

Not to mention it could be any kind of post-war organisation called "the Commonwealth".

By the way, I personally find it maddening how Bethesda told us with the Commonwealth, "see, we could have told our own story if we wanted to... but then we thought 'fuck it, let's just use the Enclave and the Brotherhood again.'"

Back