A world(Fallout 1/2) with no BoS

Yossarrion

It Wandered In From the Wastes
How would the games have played out with no Brotherhhood? Would the Vault Dweller have defeated the Master without the paladins and power armor? Would the Chosen One have figured out how to get to Navarro without them?

That’s an interesting question. I suppose the first thing to respond to is this:

Would the Vault Dweller have defeated the Master without the paladins and power armor?

Just because the BOS as a faction wouldn’t exist doesn’t mean Power Armor wouldn’t exist.

Generally speaking though, if the BOS didn’t exist, there would be a lot more dangerous gear lying around the world for people to use. There would be people, good and bad, who would most likely wear a suit of Power Armor such as the Hub guards or an even scarier thought, the Regulators of Adytum. Gun Runners would probably be the next best bet after the BOS to wear and upgrade Power Armor and perhaps laser pistols through schematics that would be acquirable without the BOS’ hoarding.

If I’m not mistaken, the crack assault team of Paladins is only for the Mariposa Vats and not for the Master himself, so little changes in that regard. I’d say the Vault Dweller still succeeds in taking out the base either by Infiltration with Children of the Cathedral robes or a squad of Hub police who I think could be convinced to help if they had Power Armor and knew of the oncoming invasion (which you reveal to them when you do the missing caravan quest).

That’s an interesting question. I suppose the first thing to respond to is this:

Just because the BOS as a faction wouldn’t exist doesn’t mean Power Armor wouldn’t exist.

Generally speaking though, if the BOS didn’t exist, there would be a lot more dangerous gear lying around the world for people to use. There would be people, good and bad, who would most likely wear a suit of Power Armor such as the Hub guards or an even scarier thought, the Regulators of Adytum. Gun Runners would probably be the next best bet after the BOS to wear and upgrade Power Armor and perhaps laser pistols through schematics that would be acquirable without the BOS’ hoarding.

If I’m not mistaken, the crack assault team of Paladins is only for the Mariposa Vats and not for the Master himself, so little changes in that regard. I’d say the Vault Dweller still succeeds in taking out the base either by Infiltration with Children of the Cathedral robes or a squad of Hub police who I think could be convinced to help if they had Power Armor and knew of the oncoming invasion (which you reveal to them when you do the missing caravan quest).
I just assume if the brotherhood didn't exist then they wouldn't have fragged the scientists at Mariposa, or fled later to bunkers. Meaning (to me) when the Master took over Mariposa all those suits of power armor would be stuck there. Without the brotherhood there is no Vree to tell you about the mutants being sterile so your only options with the Master is sabotaging the vault or fighting the Master without power armor. Maybe the Unity human members are wearing the power armor now.

Would the Chosen One have figured out how to get to Navarro without them?

Shi and Hubologists also ask CO to infiltrate Navarro.

The biggest difference would definitely be the lack of SPECIAL surgeries and dumb characters having to figure out how to make the tanker operational without Matt doing it for them.

I just assume if the brotherhood didn't exist then they wouldn't have fragged the scientists at Mariposa, or fled later to bunkers.

Does Roger Maxson not exist at all? The BOS was founded in the post-war, the fragging occurs right before the Great War. I assume you meant the BOS was never founded, perhaps the exodus from Mariposa to Lost Hills was unsuccessful and they all split apart drifting away to different areas. The Maxson expedition left with their Power Armor on if I remember correctly, they wouldn’t have left something so crucial behind.

Does Roger Maxson not exist at all? The BOS was founded in the post-war, the fragging occurs right before the Great War. I assume you meant the BOS was never founded, perhaps the exodus from Mariposa to Lost Hills was unsuccessful and they all split apart drifting away to different areas. The Maxson expedition left with their Power Armor on if I remember correctly, they wouldn’t have left something so crucial behind.
I'm gonna go with Maxson not existing since he was the main figurehead for it all. If we consider 76 (lol) he recruits the East Coast military holdouts into the Brotherhood as well. Without him I imagine there would never be an organization.

Shi and Hubologists also ask CO to infiltrate Navarro.

The biggest difference would definitely be the lack of SPECIAL surgeries and dumb characters having to figure out how to make the tanker operational without Matt doing it for them.

Do they? I always just go to Matt when I hit San Francisco so I never knew

If we consider 76 (lol) he recruits the East Coast military holdouts into the Brotherhood as well.

Well using Fallout 76 lore, even if he did this in canon and his BOS fails shortly after, it still doesn’t change much because the Scorched plague kills the BOS over there as well and isn’t resurrected until Lost Hills BoS arrives.

Without him I imagine there would never be an organization.

This is true. Power Armored Unity sounds crazy. I still think it wouldn’t matter much in the end though. Aside from the danger being amplified with random encounters around the area, I still think the Vault Dweller could just infiltrate the base with CoC robes. Even with that aside, had Roger Maxson not existed and discovered the Mariposa experiment, it would just mean the Power Armored soldiers within the base would be alive. Perhaps they would’ve just stayed in the base as Maxson did and killed Richard Grey, Harold, and Mark and there would be no master to begin with, or perhaps they would've spread out into the wastes, eventually bringing me back to my original point of dangerous gear lying around the world for anyone without BOS hoarding.

Last edited:
Perhaps they would’ve just stayed in the base as Maxson did and killed Richard Grey, Harold, and Mark and there would be no master to begin with, or perhaps they would've spread out into the wastes, eventually bringing me back to my original point of dangerous gear lying around the world for anyone without BOS hoarding.
Maybe. Mariposa was filled with malfunctioning robots and hordes of mutants. They may not have survived.

How would the games have played out with no Brotherhhood?
I think they do play out without the Brotherhood... AFAIK the two BOS encounters (on the surface) in Fallout are optional, and possible to miss; might be the same with Fallout 2. I don't recall being forced to visit the Brotherhood bunkers in Fallout 2... though I might be mistaken.

In fact... isn't it possible to initially shoot at Cabbot and Darrel (turning them hostile), and still win the game?

Last edited:
I think they do play out without the Brotherhood... AFAIK the two BOS encounters (on the surface) in Fallout are optional, and possible to miss; might be the same with Fallout 2. I don't recall being forced to visit the Brotherhood bunkers in Fallout 2... though I might be mistaken.

In fact... isn't it possible to initially shoot at Cabbot and Darrel (turning them hostile), and still win the game?
Oooh, I like your new picture!

Back