After only 20 years of neglect... or how post apocaliptia shouldn't look like.

Hulk'O'Saurus

Still Mildly Glowing
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/hom...-£50000-at-auction/ar-BBLRnlX?ocid=spartanntp

I usually let windows 10 keep all those titles on the front browser page as it shows me which news NOT to watch, but every once in a while an interesting thing pops its head out of the mediocrity swamp.

Just take a look at those pictures. This is only 20 years of neglect. The newer Fallouts have gotten it completely wrong. I will have to think harder on Fallout 1, though. It's been a while since I've played that one, so I think I should give it another go and pay more attention to the details of post apocaliptia.

I am so not eating that can of beans.

That house is actually in very rough shape for having been abandoned in the 1990s, it is severely weather damaged by the stormy, wet Cornish winters. How well structures are preserved is hugely dependent on climate, weather exposure and vandalism.

The arid climate in Nevada and the radioactive fallout (fallen trees in the forest around Chernobyl are still not decaying properly) could explain to some extent how much of the buildings are still standing, but all the edible food lying around the almost pristine houses comes from Bethesda's interpretation of the series.

Radioactivity supressing microbial life and therefore slowing down decay is a very interesting detail. I honestly didn't think about it.

I think that arid, dusty and hot wind will have just about the same effect as wet English weather in the end. Civilian buildings standing after a 100 years in either case looks unlikely to me now. Even radioactivity depletes down significantly in the first few decades after the bombs... maybe even significantly enough for microbes to start eating again.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/hom...-£50000-at-auction/ar-BBLRnlX?ocid=spartanntp

I usually let windows 10 keep all those titles on the front browser page as it shows me which news NOT to watch, but every once in a while an interesting thing pops its head out of the mediocrity swamp.

Just take a look at those pictures. This is only 20 years of neglect. The newer Fallouts have gotten it completely wrong. I will have to think harder on Fallout 1, though. It's been a while since I've played that one, so I think I should give it another go and pay more attention to the details of post apocaliptia.

I am so not eating that can of beans.

The old Fallout got it wrong. So did the fanbase. It was never meant to convey realism. Radioactivity does not create Mutant Hulk's, fallout does not turn the entire world into a barren mess for 100+ years, and radioactivity kills shit it does not make it stronger. The obsession with realism with Fallout is not due to how it was intended but due to the fanbase of these games, in my opinion, being STARVED for REALISTIC isometric turn based RPG's that do not have magic and fire breathing dragons and shit.

Horror, science, and radiation. At the beginning of the 20th century, “excited physicists pointed out that for countless ages radium has been emitting heat and light while transmuting, as though it contained the energies of the original creation. When doctors reported that atomic rays could heal they seemed only to confirm that radioactivity meant life-force.” Indeed, as Spencer Weart’s book Nuclear Fear notes, in 1903 a Connecticut newspaper suggested that radium could plausibly raise the dead. Reflecting on his radium-based miniaturization experiments in Dr. Cyclops (1940), Dr. Thorkel declares: “In our very hands we have the cosmic force of creation itself … we can shape life, take it apart, put it together again, mold it like putty.” His colleague, Dr. Mendoza, objects: “But what you are doing is mad. It is diabolic. You are tampering with powers reserved to God.” Thorkel, clearly thrilled by the suggestion, responds: “That is good. That is very good. That is just what I am doing.”

But by 1945, radiation had acquired an even more insidious reputation in the real world. The awful fates of Marie Curie, the “Radium Girls” who died from painting luminous radium paint onto dial faces, steel company president Eben Byers, who died from drinking Radithor, a radium-laced tonic, and the residents of Hiroshima demonstrated the ghastly destruction that this odorless, flavorless, invisible force could wreak on the human body. It did not require a huge leap of faith for moviegoers to imagine that ionizing radiation could also cause miniaturization, gigantism, and terrible mutation.

Horror movies’ primary purpose is to scare the audience, and as a rule, the genre is quite conservative, reinforcing society’s rules and punishing transgressors. Given a deep public ambivalence toward scientific discovery, scientists have been big losers in horror films. In 1950s and 1960s cinema, science experiments were rarely portrayed as nefarious by design. All the same, they were held responsible for some horrific threat manifest in the world—but it was a threat that scientists also had the expertise to combat, usually by destroying the monster (with the help of the military). But by the 1970s, corporate/government/ military conspiracies are the norm; scientists unleash forces they cannot control, and the end of the movie is far from the end of the story.

Every single complaint on buildings decaying can be written off as SPACE AGE synthetic wood. The obsession in our fanbase with lore is due to us needing a realistic world that is not created by separate groups of people not dedicated to worldbuilding or even writing. Essentially we are treating a video game meant for mindless entertainment as a real RPG...of which few ever actually existed that held up to scrutiny. Planescape Torment and Fallout 1/2 are the two examples...and they were nearly unplayable at release, unfinished, with so many plot holes MCA had to come along and make the Fallout Bible to appease the seething hordes.

Last edited by a moderator:
post-1395-0-93554600-1528694151.png

Maybe.

But that is from a new Fallout, you said old Fallout games were wrong about radiation making Mutant Hulks :V.

The old Fallout got it wrong. So did the fanbase. It was never meant to convey realism. Radioactivity does not create Mutant Hulk's, fallout does not turn the entire world into a barren mess for 100+ years, and radioactivity kills shit it does not make it stronger. The obsession with realism with Fallout is not due to how it was intended but due to the fanbase of these games, in my opinion, being STARVED for REALISTIC isometric turn based RPG's that do not have magic and fire breathing dragons and shit.

Yeah... I forget about what they wanted to make with the first Fallout. Though, I have to say, it's not too bad in terms of realism. Not that it was their primary goal with it, but still, the uncanny curve is quite alright. Ghouls is the only major thing that doesn't have it's explanation. If you look at Baxter's Ultima--an acclaimed hard science fiction writer, he has Romans flying in space. But, he has the explanation that is within the understanding and boundaries of science. I think the Supermutants are within the same boundaries. I also don't think that people want it too real, as well.

Every single complaint on buildings decaying can be written off as SPACE AGE synthetic wood. The obsession in our fanbase with lore is due to us needing a realistic world that is not created by separate groups of people not dedicated to worldbuilding or even writing. Essentially we are treating a video game meant for mindless entertainment as a real RPG...of which few ever actually existed that held up to scrutiny. Planescape Torment and Fallout 1/2 are the two examples...and they were nearly unplayable at release, unfinished, with so many plot holes MCA had to come along and make the Fallout Bible to appease the seething hordes.

That actually seems truer to closer you are on the time scale to now. And personally, I can't think of a single human I know that sits to play games for mindless enjoyment, mind you.

Yeah... I forget about what they wanted to make with the first Fallout. Though, I have to say, it's not too bad in terms of realism. Not that it was their primary goal with it, but still, the uncanny curve is quite alright. Ghouls is the only major thing that doesn't have it's explanation. If you look at Baxter's Ultima--an acclaimed hard science fiction writer, he has Romans flying in space. But, he has the explanation that is within the understanding and boundaries of science. I think the Supermutants are within the same boundaries. I also don't think that people want it too real, as well.

I agree it is not too bad, but the issue with the fanbase of Fallout in this respect is the disregard for the SPECIAL ENCOUNTERS in the first three games as little more than non-canon jokes. Nobody thought this at the time. Aliens existed in Fallout. I thought they did. I didn't come upon the alien special encounters at the age of 11 or 12 and think - NON CANON. Because that shit did not come into my brain in the 90's. NON CANON was something obscure I was not aware of.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/82cnre/lore_psa_aliens_have_been_canon_since_fallout_2/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/6zb315/lore_psa_the_pipboy_was_never_a_handheld_device/

----

There is a giant Godzilla out there somewhere. Maybe GOJIRA.

Doctor Who came from another multiverse.

Time travel is real.

Some weird talking head that could be some prewar robot or something.

These things were never meant to be taken seriously and over examined for 20 plus years, but as we started to do that, lore became more of a BIG DEAL.

----

Mindless enjoyment is what sells my friend. Why do you think people go to watch all these summer movies that end the same?

At this point I think people repeat information on some of this stuff and it just gets parroted and accepted as fact. People will go and reference the Fallout Bible and yadda yadda but...it's all nonsense.

I thought they did. I didn't come upon the alien special encounters at the age of 11 or 12 and think - NON CANON. Because that shit did not come into my brain in the 90's. NON CANON was something obscure I was not aware of.
The problem is that the game wasn't made for kids, so the special encounters didn't have a big red flashing sign on the screen saying "This is a joke, it is not to be taken serious!" while the special encounter appears.
I never thought they were part of the game, because they were so silly and out of the context. I also recognized some right away, as references to Star Trek or Monty Python (two things I loved when I was a kid), although I had no idea what a TARDIS was back then (so I had no idea that was a Dr Who reference). I guess it was because I was already 16 years old when the first Fallout game came out.

They were games made for adults, which I assume could differentiate the game content from the jokes.

The problem is that the game wasn't made for kids, so the special encounters didn't have a big red flashing sign on the screen saying "This is a joke, it is not to be taken serious!" while the special encounter appears.
I never thought they were part of the game, because they were so silly and out of the context. I also recognized some right away, as references to Star Trek or Monty Python (two things I loved when I was a kid), although I had no idea what a TARDIS was back then (so I had no idea that was a Dr Who reference). I guess it was because I was already 16 years old when the first Fallout game came out.

They were games made for adults, which I assume could differentiate the game content from the jokes.

Games made for adults can't have aliens or time travel? How about dozens of stupid references that have no place in a serious universe?

https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_cultural_references
https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_cultural_references

Pop culture references out the ass? Kids shit. Because it was made by dudes fresh out of school with stupid juvenile humor. Maybe I should say young adult to appease you. It's crude at any rate. 8 or 9 years ago I would see people break out ludonarrative dissonance and just roll my eyes...

Why is a giant mutant lizard NON CANON but a giant Liberty Prime ok? I don't see why people cannot rationalize Doctor Who existing because a multiverse means he exists whether he exists in your headbox canon universe or not. So he is canon wherever he goes. The aliens Reddit thread. Did you even read it? Fallout 1 makes several references to Alien tech (which I forgot about until reading this) that clearly show the developers never took the shit seriously. They put fucking SKYNET in Fallout 2 and said ALIENS. My grown ass Uncle told me all this lore while I played it when it came out. He told about all the aliens references and shit. This is the dude that knew Miroslav btw. I just find the notion hilarious that these easter eggs could be disregarded by modern fans due to SERIOUS CANON when not one of these developers has EVER taken shit as seriously as we do. In the history of modern storytelling. NOT ONE.*

Now aliens are not only canon. YOU CAN PLAY AS ONE! Give me a source that says these special encounters are non canon anyway. I am curious to see who it comes from.

* People like MCA are responsible for the shift in tone in the series.

---

Maybe if aliens were meant to be non canon...they should not have had all the lore for them. Eh?

Games made for adults can't have aliens or time travel? How about dozens of stupid references that have no place in a serious universe?
You are not understanding what I meant. I meant that games made for adults are not made to be played by a 11 years old. So saying that you thought those things were part of the lore when you played the game at that age is no justification, because 11 years old were not the target audience for the games.
As I mentioned, I knew right away that the special encounters were not part of the game because they were obvious references to outside stuff, because I was 16-17 when I played Fallout.

Being that old already made me realize that those things are just jokes and not part of the core of the game "universe". Like I also said, I recognized the Star Trek and Monty Python references as soon as I saw them. But then even others I had no idea what they were from (like the TARDIS) I also knew they were just fun little jokes even if I just didn't understand from what they were (Dr Who in this example).

Fallout 1 makes several references to Alien tech (which I forgot about until reading this) that clearly show the developers never took the shit seriously.
That is exactly the point. These aliens references are not taken serious because they are jokes. And jokes are not to be taken serious. They are there so the player goes "Ah Ah. Silly.".

Nothing on that Reddit post shows definitive proof that aliens really existed in Fallout universe:
The Dr Sheng was the head of the Xeno and Botanic programs, this is totally different from aliens. Xeno means foreign, exotic. Dr Sheng was making totally new species of plants and animals, that didn't exist before. He was creating new life forms, which by themselves are already considered as xeno. He created new plants and animals. He didn't get extraterrestial creatures.:lmao:

About Skynet, it says it was conceived using alien technology.
Again nothing definitive, since alien also means from a different country, and we know that in the Fallout world, Europe was much more advanced on some areas than the USA was (like in energy weapons and robotics/AI for example). Also a scientific log would probably say "extraterrestial" technology instead of alien.

"Alien" skeletons, can easily be mutated dwarves (Fallout has the dwarves), that one in the Sierra Army Depot even mention how they experimented on the subject by feeding it Mentats. Which for all we know could have mutated him to have a large skull and brain. It's Fallout, where mutations abound.

The "alien" space ship even says "Property of Area 51, return if found." so why would an alien spaceship say it is property of a governmental military base? Because it might have just been a new experimental air vehicle that was being made by the USA for use in the war. That was being piloted by super intelligent dwarves that mutated their skulls by excessive experimentation and fed mentats. :wiggle:

Also Fallout 1 does not make several references to extraterrestrial technology.

There is a generic line on generic scribes that say "I've seen an alien spaceship before.", But these are the same scribes that also say stuff like "Did you know that a black hole is actually an opening to another universe? I have it all worked out on paper. Too bad there won't be any more space travel until long after I'm dead." :shrug:

And that reddit post is also wrong when it says:
and according to the Fallout 1 dev written survival guide, Psychic nullifiers are based on alien technology.
This false in a couple ways. First, what the Survival Guide says is that the Psychic Nullifiers are "possibly the product of alien technology", second, alien can also mean from a different country (like I already mentioned) and third, the Survival Guide was not written by any Fallout Dev. It was written by two writers (William H. Keith, Jr. and Nina Barton) that didn't work on any Fallout game or even worked for Interplay or Black Isle

Once again, there is not definitive proof that Extraterrestrial life exist in the classic Fallout games. Because anyone can easily come up with reasons why the "proof" is not really proof. And I think this was the whole point about it. It was made to be just like in the real world, to have people guessing. Some would play the game and go "There are aliens in Fallout" and others would play the game and go "There are not aliens in Fallout" and others go "There might be aliens in Fallout", just like in the real world.

So until I can see in-game documents saying that extraterrestial life exist in the classic Fallout games, or a real space alien that we can talk to and tells us that, yes they are from a different planet or something concrete. Then I will still say that all the definitive proof that the classic games had real aliens as canon is total bullshit. :aiee:

You are not understanding what I meant. I meant that games made for adults are not made to be played by a 11 years old. So saying that you thought those things were part of the lore when you played the game at that age is no justification, because 11 years old were not the target audience for the games.
As I mentioned, I knew right away that the special encounters were not part of the game because they were obvious references to outside stuff, because I was 16-17 when I played Fallout.

Being that old already made me realize that those things are just jokes and not part of the core of the game "universe". Like I also said, I recognized the Star Trek and Monty Python references as soon as I saw them. But then even others I had no idea what they were from (like the TARDIS) I also knew they were just fun little jokes even if I just didn't understand from what they were (Dr Who in this example).

That is exactly the point. These aliens references are not taken serious because they are jokes. And jokes are not to be taken serious. They are there so the player goes "Ah Ah. Silly.".

Nothing on that Reddit post shows definitive proof that aliens really existed in Fallout universe:
The Dr Sheng was the head of the Xeno and Botanic programs, this is totally different from aliens. Xeno means foreign, exotic. Dr Sheng was making totally new species of plants and animals, that didn't exist before. He was creating new life forms, which by themselves are already considered as xeno. He created new plants and animals. He didn't get extraterrestial creatures.:lmao:

About Skynet, it says it was conceived using alien technology.
Again nothing definitive, since alien also means from a different country, and we know that in the Fallout world, Europe was much more advanced on some areas than the USA was (like in energy weapons and robotics/AI for example). Also a scientific log would probably say "extraterrestial" technology instead of alien.

"Alien" skeletons, can easily be mutated dwarves (Fallout has the dwarves), that one in the Sierra Army Depot even mention how they experimented on the subject by feeding it Mentats. Which for all we know could have mutated him to have a large skull and brain. It's Fallout, where mutations abound.

The "alien" space ship even says "Property of Area 51, return if found." so why would an alien spaceship say it is property of a governmental military base? Because it might have just been a new experimental air vehicle that was being made by the USA for use in the war. That was being piloted by super intelligent dwarves that mutated their skulls by excessive experimentation and fed mentats. :wiggle:

Also Fallout 1 does not make several references to extraterrestrial technology.

There is a generic line on generic scribes that say "I've seen an alien spaceship before.", But these are the same scribes that also say stuff like "Did you know that a black hole is actually an opening to another universe? I have it all worked out on paper. Too bad there won't be any more space travel until long after I'm dead."
:shrug:

And that reddit post is also wrong when it says:

This false in a couple ways. First, what the Survival Guide says is that the Psychic Nullifiers are "possibly the product of alien technology", second, alien can also mean from a different country (like I already mentioned) and third, the Survival Guide was not written by any Fallout Dev. It was written by two writers (William H. Keith, Jr. and Nina Barton) that didn't work on any Fallout game or even worked for Interplay or Black Isle

Once again, there is not definitive proof that Extraterrestrial life exist in the classic Fallout games. Because anyone can easily come up with reasons why the "proof" is not really proof. And I think this was the whole point about it. It was made to be just like in the real world, to have people guessing. Some would play the game and go "There are aliens in Fallout" and others would play the game and go "There are not aliens in Fallout" and others go "There might be aliens in Fallout", just like in the real world.

So until I can see in-game documents saying that extraterrestial life exist in the classic Fallout games, or a real space alien that we can talk to and tells us that, yes they are from a different planet or something concrete. Then I will still say that all the definitive proof that the classic games had real aliens as canon is total bullshit. :aiee:

The problem is they referenced aliens and then showed them in a special encounter lending credence to the belief. I concede purple but red is a no go to me. Black holes being a gateway to another dimension is not that far fetched either. We are dealing with SCIENCE! of the future here...anyway SKYNET is ALIEN. It isn't foreign that is a total asspull I am sorry.

If they were talking about another country they would say foreign, they would not say alien.

https://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bio_med_gel

Bethesda took Fallout 2 and Tactics and ran with it. This is all Black Isle's fault. Yes, Xeno can mean something else. It can also mean alien. Either way they kept eluding to aliens. Let's keep it real. Aliens probably exist in some form IN OUR universe so Fallout is a no brainer. Fallout 2 pounded aliens in our heads more than any other entry. EVEN FALLOUT 3!

I mean retro future 50's is so closely tied to aliens and flying saucers it is amazing people get so bent out of shape about it. If Bethesda actually did it right...something like Mothership Zeta could have been cool in classic Fallout. If Van Buren went to space it would have happened. We almost did with the Hubologists dumb asses.

If I see people refer to Fallout Bible to counter any of these statements I am covering myself in Rotgut and lighting myself aflame.

iBL58vz.gif

Then why not have real aliens around? Why not have the Vault Dweller or the Chosen One mention aliens or finding real alien evidence? Why having an alien spaceship saying it is property of the USA government? Why even specify that the large skull skeleton was experimented and fed a lot of mentats (which in a way would explain why his skull was so large)?
And that xeno program in Fallout 2 is there black on white that he is creating mutated creatures, both plants and animals to create new life forms. Just because xeno can also mean alien, it is explicit, that in this case doesn't mean alien at all.

I also don't understand why you linked the Bio med gel page?
Also Skynet could have been fabricated using European technology, like I said. For example Gaston Glock made his own mind into a AI:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gaston_Glock
Which seems to be many years ahead of the AI tech the USA had back then.

See? You can read too much into the games to justify that there are aliens in the classic games, but I can do the same to justify that there are not aliens. Because there is no real "definitive" proof either way. Just like in the real world.

Then why not have real aliens around? Why not have the Vault Dweller or the Chosen One mention aliens or finding real alien evidence? Why having an alien spaceship saying it is property of the USA government? Why even specify that the large skull skeleton was experimented and fed a lot of mentats (which in a way would explain why his skull was so large)?
And that xeno program in Fallout 2 is there black on white that he is creating mutated creatures, both plants and animals to create new life forms. Just because xeno can also mean alien, it is explicit, that in this case doesn't mean alien at all.

I also don't understand why you linked the Bio med gel page?
Also Skynet could have been fabricated using European technology, like I said. For example Gaston Glock made his own mind into a AI:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gaston_Glock
Which seems to be many years ahead of the AI tech the USA had back then.

See? You can read too much into the games to justify that there are aliens in the classic games, but I can do the same to justify that there are not aliens. Because there is no real "definitive" proof either way. Just like in the real world.
To show that Bethesda then used that for Zeta, with Aliens, with cryogenic style human preservation. To illustrate that developers have no coherent worldbuilding so the lore varies from title to title until nothing remains of the original. I still say it is a GIANT leap to say they meant some other country in regards to aliens. The only time you hear alien here is if illegal is attached to it.

The lore is vague because they didn't have the balls to commit to anything in Fallout 2. As you say not enough evidence to support either but we know which Bethesda picked. My interpretation.
latest

In which this game is canon and this thing is a robot. FIGHT ME BRAH!

Yes, of course it is obvious Bethesda picked the Aliens exist. They also picked plenty of other stupidity for their games.

And that is the problem. They grab jokes and blow them out of proportions, because they don't understand that jokes are just that, jokes.

Like nuka-cola. A joke reference to coca cola. I am surprised they didn't do the same to Tragic the Garnering :lmao:.

That is why even Fallout 3 diehard fans usually think Mothership Zeta is the weakest DLC or second weakest (after Operation Anchorage). Even fans think it is stupid, and many who actually like Mothership Zeta, do so only because of the new OP weapons from it. :shrug:

Bethesda picked that aliens exist and made a full DLC about it, and still people say it is the worst DLC and many really don't like the whole aliens thing. It was a bad move even from the point of view of the majority of Fallout 3 fans :shrug:.

I even lost count of how many people asked us to "remove Mothership Zeta" from TTW or to "make Mothership Zeta DLC only start if you pick the Wild Wasteland trait".
Our reply is... No! :V

Back