America's newest drug

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Gizmojunk, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
  2. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    No fuckin way! How unoriginal, they took the name Rad-X from fallout and reversed it.

3. Bal-Sagoth

Bal-Sagoth Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Nov 1, 2008
    I highly doubt Fallout was on anyones mind when they named the drug. Ex-Rad is a very generic and plausible name considering what the drug does.

4. mobucks

mobucks jetski Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Oops forgot to add :roll:

5. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    I dunno... Life imitates art, and I would naturally expect that there are Fallout players among those involved. Research about this drug (or one very like it) was circulating last, or the year before, and the article I read mentioned Rad-X in Fallout.

6. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm with Bal-Sagoth on this one.
    The name is a logical choice for a drug like this.
    And so is the Rad-X, for the matter, so, although there are obvious similarities in their names, I doubt it goes to anything more than that.

7. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Shame they don't actually say how it works. Could just be a re-named Iodine tablet for all we know.

8. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Well, they certainly won't share it for the time being. Maybe in a decade or so :D

9. DarthBartus

DarthBartus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 11, 2011
    Well, this seems to be very interesting drug, however I cannot imagine how the hell that thing works. I mean, radiation destoys, or severely damages DNA, causing it to divide into small fragments or even single nucleotides and then rearranges itself randomly (causing various unpleasant symptoms (you know, disturbed balance in enzyme sinthesis and such)), or death (depending on the time of exposure) either from radiation itself, or, in long term, by radiation-cused cancer. Protecting from radiation poisoning means that the drug interferes in the DNA structure itself. Goddamn, I'm not gonna sleep today.

10. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    Sounds crazy and not at all like something I'd happily ingest. :P

11. DarthBartus

Mar 11, 2011
    Not crazy. Just absolutely amazing.

EDIT: I am searching myself, but if anyone happens to find something about HOW that thing works, I'd be most grateful (as of now I've only found some text that says that thing works, yet I am very fukken curious how).

12. Public

Public Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

May 18, 2006
    Those god damn americans...

13. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Probably it just flushes radiation from the systen (like iodine tablets do with radioiodine in the thyroid) and stimulates the bodies natural repair systems.
    People tend to forget the human body can repair radiation damage.
    Also remember that this is written by a consulting firm for a private sector/military project and reported on Fox News so there could be a lot of hype here.

14. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

May 18, 2003

Ah. Good to know the grandiose and pompatic rethorical style of old commie propaganda has some kind of afterlife somewhere.

sweet, sweet irony.

Other than that, if it's real, great. Also wonder how it works, and if isn't some fancy name for iodine and calcium.

15. SkuLL

Sep 6, 2009
    Am I being paranoid by immediately thinking about the horrible side-effect this drug will undoubtedly have?

16. DarthBartus

Mar 11, 2011
    @Alphadrop

You can't just flush away the radiation (unless some radioactive isotopes make their way into the system), it just penetrates your body and destroys everything in its way.

Yeah, humans do have DNA repair mechanisms, but they're far less effective than, for example, bacteria's. Moreover, in human's case they're highly limited (just to loss of single nucleotides, or short fragments of DNA). In case of heavy radiation damage, DNA is highly fragmented and rearranges itself in random way causing irreperable changes, thus causing synthesis of useless proteins, thus, in addition to damage to already existing proteins, causing death.

The article itself says it stimulates repair systems. But I am curios about how does that work, I am interested in more in-depth information.

EDIT: Iodide just "blocks" thyroid and protects it from using radioactive iodine isotope.

17. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    No.

(Forget biological for a moment... think political! ) :shock:

**They mentioned that it works by repairing DNA damage.

18. DarthBartus

Mar 11, 2011
    It is quite obvious. But it is like saying that car works. But I am interested HOW that car works. How the engine is built, how it works and stuff (seriously, I don't give a flying mutant crap about how car works, I just wanna know how Ex-Rad "gives protectionthrough DNA repair against otherwise lethal dosages of radiation" :D).

@Skull, just a bit. But yeah, I'm not quite sure if that isn't going to fuck your organism up. After all, it messes with DNA ;)

19. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007

20. SkuLL

Sep 6, 2009