Эрот

Making a prototype is one thing, developing the infrastructure to manufacture it cheaply takes time.

PhredBean said:
Atomic Cowboy said:
...I still don't understand why they can build a civie radio that works anywhere, but the $20 000 radios the army has break down as soon as you go over a hill.
Which is why the air force and the army are starting to buy civie equiptment rather than military-specific contractor-developed equiptment.

True; but I can tell you first hand that a lot of the equipment is falling short. The saying "They don't build them like they used to," is especially true when you're talking about trucks. The Canadian Forces are gradually replacing their vehicle fleet with modified civilian vehicles (painted green!), and while they have nice bells and whistles (A/C, comfortable seats, AM/FM radio) they can't stand up to the abuse off-roading puts on them - hell, the abuse the roads in the training area put on them. The side view mirror fell off one of the trial vehicles a couple of weeks back!

If I could I'd like to switch to the previous generation of vehicles we used. Some of them are still out rusting in the training area (as props), and with a bit of work they'd be workable again.

[/derailing]

Cana.. Canadian Forces...?

Honestly though, trucks are where that falls into the bad idea range. The US military only uses civilian-market vehicles for base applications. For anything in the field they use their own humvees, deus-and-1/2s, and 5tons.

Here you go. This is what the vision is for the next 10-20 years straight from the US government. Almost tempts me to be slothful and get such technology embedded into my brain to 'teach' me things, especially when school systems now days are so open-minded :roll:

In that report, a quick little search in Adobe Reader reveals 118 instances of war or battle, and only 9 instances of peace. Here is the breakdown of my search.

WARRIOR = 9 times
WARS = 10 times
WAR = 40 times
WARFIGHTER = 21 times
WARFIGHTERS = 13 times
WARFIGHTING = 12 times
WARFARE = 13 times

PEACE = 9 times

Seem a little unbalanced? Are we insane?

I don't believe a 13:1 ratio in support of war describes what the majority of inhabitants of Earth actually want. I think it's what the few and powerful want. They are the ones that make reasons to create war, supply the weapons, order the troops, and profit from these atrocities.

Another frightening thing about that report, is on page 20.

"Vision of the world as a distributed, interconnected "brain" with various architectural levels, which can empower individuals with access to collective knowledge while safeguarding privacy"

How the fuck are they going to safeguard privacy by putting wireless internet directly into our fucking brains? Look at the internet NOW!

They also talk about "New places: Real, Virtual, Mixed"

How the fuck are people going to better understand reality when they are in a virtual or "mixed" world?

386: Peace is like marriage, while it takes the continued desire and effort of both parties to last, only one of those parties has to decide they don't want it anymore to go sour. One country alone can't account for peace, it is the effort of all nations involved, as history has shown time and time again. No matter how much one party wants peace, or how many parties want peace, just one nation or government can destroy all that.
A nation can, however, account for their own security by making it undesirable for any other nation to break the peace. Again, this is called security, it is the one aspect of peace a single nation can account for, granting for themselves to an extent. In that article you will find the mention of security many more times than that of wars or battles, or even peace.
Wars and warfighting capabilties as mentioned there are but a means of accounting for your security. Preparedness is key, as always. The United States military has the purpose of making it undesirable for any country to attack our security, or to defeat foes in an efficient manner should they be foolish enough to threaten our security.

Unfortunately, those forces can also be misused for gain by certain administrations as we're finding now.

Back on subject, I'm getting tired of watching perfectly good technologies go to waste. You read them over and over in Popular Science or Mechanics, but nothing ever seems implimented.

PhredBean said:
386: Peace is like marriage, while it takes the continued desire and effort of both parties to last, only one of those parties has to decide they don't want it anymore to go sour. One country alone can't account for peace, it is the effort of all nations involved, as history has shown time and time again. No matter how much one party wants peace, or how many parties want peace, just one nation or government can destroy all that.
A nation can, however, account for their own security by making it undesirable for any other nation to break the peace. Again, this is called security, it is the one aspect of peace a single nation can account for, granting for themselves to an extent. In that article you will find the mention of security many more times than that of wars or battles, or even peace.
Wars and warfighting capabilties as mentioned there are but a means of accounting for your security. Preparedness is key, as always. The United States military has the purpose of making it undesirable for any country to attack our security, or to defeat foes in an efficient manner should they be foolish enough to threaten our security.

Unfortunately, those forces can also be misused for gain by certain administrations as we're finding now.

I understand the aim of your argument to be that of good intention. Still, the word "security" only appears in that document 20 times. The ultimate and most pure security, is peace itself. Evil begets evil. War only breeds more war. War will never achieve peace or a greater civilization. I believe war exists because the peaceful are convinced it has to exist. Who convinces the majority to go to war? The majority, or a select minority? This goes for everywhere in the world. I could go on forever about the problems of life on earth today, and the horrendously difficult, but not impossible or even improbable, steps required to fix these problems. The sad thing is, voices that speak the truth tend to get murdered by those that wish to hide the truth. Just look at Jesus if you believe in the Bible. Still, i see war as the most horrible, hideous, painful, illogical, and degrading act ever concieved, and i will never try to give any merit to it's existence.

PhredBean said:
Back on subject, I'm getting tired of watching perfectly good technologies go to waste. You read them over and over in Popular Science or Mechanics, but nothing ever seems implimented.

Tell me about it. Free energy has been around for years, yet we never hear about it OR see it implemented. That's because some evil asshole(s) has their hands on it. Just look at one of the greatest geniuses of our time, Stanley Meyer.

Tools of war are also used to prevent wars and keep the peace. The better the tools are, the better they work.

They will keep the peace easier, but will also buttfuck the "evil doer" with more efficiency. ("evil doer" = anybody)
________
TEEN VIDEOS

About those vacum tubes, did you try EMPing or radiating a solid state chip? (try frying it with a magetron from a microwave if you have a proper lab DO NOT TRY TO FRY IT IN A MICROWAVE AT HOME) well it basicly gets fried (0 functionality, most connections are shorted) try EMPing or radiating an electron valve (vac. tube) it might get hotter but most of them will survive and be 100% usable since it's simple in construction. And a yellow "PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS AIMING EQUIPMENT WHILE RADAR JAMMERS ARE ON" sticker won't work in the field.

I wouldn't laugh at the tubes. I'd laugh at not getting/designing new equipment with them and not maintaining them properly.

Back to the topic, present military development is no rocket science (rocket science is so 60's :P) It's more about using non-typical weaponry (not restricted by any acts yet, like the sonic emitter from USA and chem lasers from UK). Hi-tech civilian stuff is restricted mostly by the economical reasons (prototype bluray players were huge and required a quite fast controller for those days).

Makdaam said:
I wouldn't laugh at the tubes. I'd laugh at not getting/designing new equipment with them and not maintaining them properly.
Like I said about the cards, a $500 Dell could handle everything those multimillion dollar 1970s computer racks are doing and more, plus be more reliable and easier to fix.

Back to the topic, present military development is no rocket science (rocket science is so 60's :P) It's more about using non-typical weaponry (not restricted by any acts yet, like the sonic emitter from USA and chem lasers from UK). Hi-tech civilian stuff is restricted mostly by the economical reasons (prototype bluray players were huge and required a quite fast controller for those days).
Really? I've gotten the impression present military development was all about spending billions of dollars developing stealth helicopters and high-rate-of-fire artillery batteries, then scrapping them at the last minute. But there's probably some of what you said too.

PhredBean said:
cards, a $500 Dell could handle everything those multimillion dollar 1970s computer racks are doing and more, plus be more reliable and easier to fix.
please refrain from using the word Dell, in the same sentence as reliable & easy to fix. the sysadmins thank you.

PhredBean said:
Like I said about the cards, a $500 Dell could handle everything those multimillion dollar 1970s computer racks are doing and more, plus be more reliable and easier to fix.
No, it probably wouldn't be more reliable.
The entire reason why people stay with the old stuff is because it works *and keeps on working*.

SuAside said:
please refrain from using the word Dell, in the same sentence as reliable & easy to fix. the sysadmins thank you.
Sander said:
No, it probably wouldn't be more reliable.
The entire reason why people stay with the old stuff is because it works *and keeps on working*.
I used to be a combat comm radar technician, I know of what I speak. SuAcide, you'll notice the word "more" there, I'm not saying Dells are even halfway decent, just that they work better than the shit being used now. It was to drive home a point.

Sander, the cards being used need to be realigned daily or else every voltage, frequency, and everything else will drift out of reqs and fuck the whole thing straight to hell. Those cards also come in from the depot or manufacturer dead 2/3s of the damn time. They lose all alignments when bumped, if they survive. For a transportable system, that just blows. Those radars cost $250k a year to maintain per radar due to those fucking cards more than anything.

Usually, old stuff works far longer than new stuff. But trust me when I say military electronics are an exception.

Taxpayers are better off with the govt buying civie electronics, I heard all the same laments from the radio and metnav techs that I had as radar.

PhredBean said:
I used to be a combat comm radar technician, I know of what I speak. SuAcide, you'll notice the word "more" there, I'm not saying Dells are even halfway decent, just that they work better than the shit being used now. It was to drive home a point.

Sander, the cards being used need to be realigned daily or else every voltage, frequency, and everything else will drift out of reqs and fuck the whole thing straight to hell. Those cards also come in from the depot or manufacturer dead 2/3s of the damn time. They lose all alignments when bumped, if they survive. For a transportable system, that just blows. Those radars cost $250k a year to maintain per radar due to those fucking cards more than anything.

Usually, old stuff works far longer than new stuff. But trust me when I say military electronics are an exception.

Taxpayers are better off with the govt buying civie electronics, I heard all the same laments from the radio and metnav techs that I had as radar.
Now that's just ridiculous.
I can get NASA using old tech because it's more reliable, I can get companies continuing to use their old database system just because it's worked so far. But people continuing to use something that breaks every day?
Eh.

Back