Fallout 2 mod Announcement: Whispering Winds

Lexx

Testament to the ghoul lifespan
Modder
Howdy everyone,

today I have come to you to talk about Jesus Christ and... No, wait... that's not why I'm here at all...

logo.png

Background (you can skip this if you don't care)
As I already announced in my old Shattered Destiny 2 thread, "Shattered Destiny 2" is no more. In fact, it is canned already since years.

But why?

Well, the game simply became too big in scope to handle on my own. Back then I still did all my work in german, which made it very hard to find helping hands. Ultimately this made me change plans and start working on Shattered Destiny 3 instead, as the final chapter was always meant to be smaller, barely bigger than SD1 had been. Working on it first seemed to be the smarter choice, considering I felt the need to have a new release in a shorter timespan (SD1 took about 2 to 3 years to make).

So... said and done. I've started over. New design docs, new ideas, a smaller scope... Turned out, this is a project that I really began to like a lot, so naturally - as always - it suddenly started growing in scope again (while yet remaining smaller than SD2 had been).

Again years passed with ups and downs, including me being distracted with other projects for FOnline, Commandos, and lately ArmA3. Still, Shattered Destiny was "my thing", so I kept coming back to it. At some point somewhere around 5 years ago, I've realized that with how fast the final chapter was progressing, I would never be able to deliver Shattered Destiny 2 within the next 20 or what years... Following these thoughts, "Fallout 2: Whispering Winds" was born and SD2 and SD3 died a heroic death.

This is Shattered Destiny 3. Retitled, rearranged, tweaked and highly improved. It's not necessary anymore to play the first chapter, as only few elements and nods remained in the game. One side of me isn't happy about it, the other side doesn't mind, because the result is still way better than the initial pitch.

But why am I posting now?
Simple: I need help. Pretty sure I can finish the mod on my own at some point, but I don't want to drag it out another 5 years. The "stuff left to do"-list has become reasonable small now, and I feel ready to try to get other folks on board to help speed things up. Read more about this further down below.

Overview
Whispering Winds is a new open world story-driven campaign set in the post-post-apocalyptic world of Fallout. Based on the remains of the 2007 released ‘Shattered Destiny’ total conversion, you’ll return to the wastes not as a Vault Dweller, nor a Chosen One. You are just a regular nobody who’s final path has yet to be settled…

You will find yourself stranded with a hot air balloon amid the wastes of Utah, the year of 2243. Surrounded by hostile tribes and gangers, you’ll set out to shape the world around you. The ‘How’, however, is yours to decide.

(All screenshots are from the alpha version and have visible debug stuff. I'll make proper screenshots at a later time.)

Progress
This is a list of things that are blocking a first public (beta) release:

- 2 primary locations are unfinished.
- 1 secondary location is unfinished.
- All cutscenes are still missing.
- At least one initial gameplay balance pass needs to be done.

Release?
After the above mentioned blockers are removed.

Help Wanted
  • I am looking for a motivated writer who is willing to pitch in some time to help me finish the remaining parts of the game and later to polish the existing content.
    English language skills are a must. Basic Fallout 2 modding skills would come in handy. Though, considering the game is as old as it is, and the modding community being rather small, it isn't a necessity.
  • While not a primary concern as of now, I am also looking for a skilled 3d guy or gal who can create the missing cutscenes.
Links
> Official Website

Last edited:
You know I would help you any day of the week Lexx, but those bastards at Mutants Rising have me chained up in a basement making shit for them. As soon as I'm done with them I'll help...that's probably 2 years away. :puppy-dog:

Yeah, I know them. They are a vicious bunch.

All of the raw design is finished. Basically the "what will happen". What's left to do are the details. Writing the characters, the dialog, etc. This might sound like much, but actually it's "just a few" characters. The necessary main characters can be counted on one hand. Most of the basic scripts are done and everything is pretty much playable.
So yeah, it's close, but just not ready yet.

I'm a professional Game Designer/Writer and i would be delighted to help you in everything you need.

How is the progress?

No progress, sadly. Irony wanted that one month after I've posted about the mod, I got another project pushed in-between which I really have to work on, as it might or might not give me money in the end. I'm not happy about it at all, but have to pursue it, otherwise I'll blame myself again for missing out. The plan is to continue with the Fo2 mod once that project is done. Hopefully sometime early next year, but as of now, everything is uncertain.

How do you get those debugging menus up there?

It's an unreleased debugging tool from Mutants Rising.

Last edited:
No progress, sadly. Irony wanted that one month after I've posted about the mod, I got another project pushed in-between which I really have to work on, as it might or might not give me money in the end. I'm not happy about it at all, but have to pursue it, otherwise I'll blame myself again for missing out. The plan is to continue with the Fo2 mod once that project is done. Hopefully sometime early next year, but as of now, everything is uncertain.

It's an unreleased debugging tool from Mutants Rising.

I would love to help Lexx, but I am also swamped. Maybe we will be able to do something in the future.

Activate panel: get_ini_setting("ddraw.ini|Debugging|Enable") == 404

Based on this, you can add your own menus.

Hey man, sorry, I only saw this reply now.

Can you give me a bit more hints on how to use it? I put the .int file in data/scripts, set the Debugging Enable in ddraw.ini to 404 and I managed to get to this:
https://i.imgur.com/eAauaMb.jpg

How do I actually use those options? It doesn't do anything when I click on them.

And how do I add other panels? I mean, is there an option built in or did you mean scripting them?

Edit: sfall version I'm using is 4.0.7

Last edited:
How do I actually use those options? It doesn't do anything when I click on them.

And how do I add other panels? I mean, is there an option built in or did you mean scripting them?
This should work without any problems. Look for a problem in your game.

Yes, writing additional functionality.

Hmm, it seems it's not working if I have sfall starting the game on a different map. If I let it start on the default artemple.map then it works...
Any ideas?

Edit: Actually it seems that only if I start on that map... which I added to the game it's not working. If I start on the original maps then it works.
Even if I start on another map and then use the debug menu to go to the new map, it stops working.

Do you have any idea why?

Last edited:
OK, it's probably something with that map. I suspect that it's because loaded the map from Fallout 1 and didn't replace all the scripts yet there must be some kind of conflict somewhere. Because I started a new map just to test and that one works.
Thank you!

Well, it is not dead. But due to Fallout et tu and other projects, I currently do not have any time to keep work on it. Maybe in a year from now ...

Any progress with this mod, Lexx? It looks really neat, it'd love to see this one out sometime.

Back