Any Kekistani diaspora here?

I've seen it around here and there. What does that "kek" shit even stand for? All I've seen is some smug looking cartoon frogs whose meaning I've no idea about.

From what I understand "kek" is basically "lol" but without the stigma towards it due being insanely overused.

Oh. Makes sense I guess.

I remember something like 10 or so years ago in certain context people occasionally used a "kekeke" for "hehehe" to give a trolling or "indifferent" - for the lack of a better term - vibe (I did it too a couple of times on a local discussion board not even having seen it used before, or at least not remembering seeing it), but I never expected it to last or grow as a meme.

Kekeke is the romanisation of ㅋㅋㅋ, which is a Korean onomatopoeia for hahaha, or lol. It was often used in Starcraft matches, and was then used as a reference by Blizzard in WoW (typing lol was crypted into kek for the opposing faction). The use of kek spread to the rest of the web, and became part of the chanspeak. Kek is also a Turkish snack, an Egyptian god, and a research centre somewhere in Japan.

Back