Anyone know why Interplay settled re: V13/Fallout Online?

mannawyadden

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I imagine this has already been discussed somewhere but when I tried to use the forum search button, it didn't give me results matching the criteria I searched, so I must be using it wrong.

I was reading about the back and forth legal battles between Bethesda and Interplay over the rights to produce the MMO, as well as a larger battle over the rights to the Fallout IP.

Seemed like Bethesda was losing, badly, every time they faced off in court. At one point it says that Bethesda was in danger of losing rights to Fallout completely due to breach of contract.

Then suddenly they reach an out of court cash settlement and things are like they are today. I don't understand why Interplay would agree to a cash settlement if they were winning.

Interplay settled because they reached their goal to squeeze more money out of Bethesda. Interplay at this stage wasn't capable to make, finance or maintain a MMO as they made the contract with Bethesda which allowed them to keep the rights if they make a MMO.

It was all a big publicity scam to get more money and Bethesda gave it to them.

Back