Are shotguns utterly worthless?

Alexander Strahan

First time out of the vault
See subject. The only decent use for a shotgun I've found so far was using the sawed-off as an "OH, SHI..." button. As in, something is coming to get me, shoot it point-blank in DA FASE.

Even the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun is less than impressive. Even with slugs in it.

Sad oversight by Obsidian? Or fail on my part somehow?

Alexander Strahan said:
See subject. The only decent use for a shotgun I've found so far was using the sawed-off as an "OH, SHI..." button. As in, something is coming to get me, shoot it point-blank in DA FASE.

Even the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun is less than impressive. Even with slugs in it.

Sad oversight by Obsidian? Or fail on my part somehow?

Shotguns are the short-medium range gun weapons in the game. Work really well as a secondary weapon to some sort of sniper. It's a decent way to deal with melee fighters if your character isn't good up-close.

Not all shotguns are created equal. They also suck early-game (which is where you are it seems) and get edged out by better stuff in late-game, but flourish in mid-game. With Shotgun Surgeon perk, a good shottie ignores DT for all but the most heavily-armored opponents. With Cowboy perk, Lever Action Shotgun is one mean gun.

Riot Shotgun tears up a group of Cazadors like nothing else I've found in the game.

Shotgun surgeon and living anatomy are a good perks for shotgun users. You'll need another weapon to deal with heavily armored opponents though.

Compared to the other anti-tank weapons (.44 magnum, mythical .45-70 Gov't, .308) shotguns offer a decent and cheap capability.

A humble Single shotgun slug or two to the body is enough to send a tankscoripon to the great claw in the sky.

After you gather a decent stash of 12 gauge slugs, A hunting shotgun will be enough to clean some sticky situations. (sawed-off with slugs: emergency deathclaw killer)

Also on a related note, shotguns with buckshot are also a solution to the other pesky annoyance; the cazadors. Just Vats the bastard and watch its 0 dr crippled limb notifications from 1 shot.

Hunting and Lever SGs are good. Riot SG is very good. At med\short range obviously. Sawed-off is crap - it has shitty dps.
Ofcourse you need slugs and Shotgun Surgeon perk against enemies with any armor.
Slugs are easy to make - you only need repair 25, thats a big plus.

Rev. Layle: I am not sure but they might be as I have seen damage bracket jumping around wildly in some cases.

Erny: Except the riot shotgun, all of the shotguns are more suited to targeted shots (ironsights or Vats) then hectic real time run&gun parts.

Back