Armageddon Empires

Galdred

First time out of the vault
this is an old topic, but there has been 2 mini expansions for free for this game (with new graphics, and new mechanisms):
The first one, Cults of the Wastelands adds some roaming NPC opponent organizations (they don't play like the player and other controlled factions at all), that have different units and victory conditions.

It adds some variety, and some of them are really challenging, but it goes opposite to the main focus of the game (a FFA with AI that play well without cheating at all), as these are heavily scripted.

The second, tip of the spear is very interesting as it changes the way infantry fight, by giving them combined arms bonuses, and allowing some light infantry only upgrades.

The willingness of the author to constantly tweak the game and listen to feedback is pretty impressive.

A link may be good.
http://www.crypticcomet.com/

For those in the dark,
it's no major game company, it's indie. But "Armageddon Empires" is a solid title.

A turn based strategy game in a post-apocalyptic setting. played with Cards on a Hexagonal map(Wasteland so don't expect any green). 4 factions Human, Machine, Mutant, Alien.

And here's a review on the expansion http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/03/20/armageddon-empires-cults-of-the-wasteland/

The 1st link has a demo of the original title.

Thanks for pointing me towards that game. I downloaded the demo and after playing for a couple of hours, I decided to buy it. So far it's been great fun, and I've yet to play as anyone but the empire of man.

Armageddon Empires is fantastic. If you check the metacritic page I did a review of it (2404.org) that explains a lot about why I enjoy it so much.

More wargames need to have cool, consistent themes like this one does. 'The wasteland' with scarce resources and everyone going for everyone elses' jugular was really well-done and came out a lot in almost every aspect of the gameplay. When you win you feel like a real megalomaniac bastard, which rules.

Back