Fallout 2 mod Basic questions about poisonous/radioactive critters

banjo_oz

First time out of the vault
Just starting out modding/making critters, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions about how poison/radiation works.

You can't/don't set up poison damage and/or radiation damage for critters via their proto, do you? I've spent ages going through them and then their related scripts, and it seems like it's the attached scripts that indicate if (and how much) poison damage or radiation damage is done when the player is hit by a critter. I see nothing on the proto stats.

Example: radscorpions are non-poisonous by default, unless a script is attached (in the mapper) that tells them "if I hit the player, cause poison damage". Right?

If so, what I found interesting is that the scripts for various critters (rats, radscorpions, geckos) all seem quite variable in how they inflict poison, with some apparently saying "If I hit you, you get poisoned" while others seem to make a check against a stat (presumably poison resistance?) first.

Example:

kcmolerat
Code:
if (fixed_param == COMBAT_SUBTYPE_HIT_SUCCEEDED) then begin
   if (target_obj == dude_obj) then begin
      poison(target_obj,random(POISON_MIN,POISON_MAX));
      radiation_inc(target_obj,random(RAD_MIN,RAD_MAX));
   end
end
... means will always do poison and radiation damage when they hit the player?

kcscorp
Code:
if (fixed_param == COMBAT_SUBTYPE_HIT_SUCCEEDED) then begin
   if (target_obj == dude_obj) then begin
         if (not(is_success(do_check(dude_obj,STAT_lu,-1)))) then begin
            poison(target_obj,random(1,6));
         end
      end
   end
end
... means will inflict poison only if the player fails a luck(?) roll with a -1 penalty?

Am I interpreting these right? If so... why is there less chance of poison from a radscorpion than a molerat?!

Finally, is there a list somewhere of which critters inflict poison and which inflict radiation? If it is not tied to the proto itself, is it really a case of having to check every critter in every map to see what script is attached to them?

Last edited:
Back