Better Power Armor

bhlaab said:
Lexx said:
I would be happy about just a bit more damage defense. Also the enemys in PAs should have the higher damage defense.

I think that might make the escape from the jefferson memorial too hard

I don't think so because for me - personally - it was too easy. I killed every bad guy with two shots from my Lincoln's gun and it was not a bit hard.

I couldn't agree more. The ability to bounce low energy, small caliber bullets is paramount to what power armor signifies to most people enamored of the concept.

Whats all this talk about Power Armor.. I thought it was a storm trooper suit :cry:

I was close to contacting lucas arts and giving them props for helping out beth with the skins. :clap:

In all seriousness. Ya... Buff PA.

After a while mucking about with the data files, I've been able to improve the power armor so that it's not so useless. See my post in the modding ideas/suggestions sticky for details on the data layout for armor modding in the files. I made the changes by hand-editing the main data file for the game (Fallout3.esm) with a hex editor. Unfortunately, that means I can't really distribute it, since the file is 300MB and contains all sorts of other data. Hopefully we'll figure out how to get plugins working properly with fallout 3 soon and then I'll be able to create a small mod that I can distribute. For now, I encourage those who know their way around a hex editor to roll your own, with the caveat that you should *definitely* back up your Fallout3.esm file before messing with it; it is extremely easy to completely break the game when editing this file (I once made all the terrain go away; don't know how I did it, but when I loaded a game, everyone just started falling, and about 10 seconds later, hit a flat surface at the "bottom of the world" and died. Except for the children, of course, who were walking around the piles of adult corpses without a care in the world).

PowerArmorBoost.jpg

My biggest disappointments with FO3 were 1) no continue-after-main-quest (yea, i think this is up there on our 'problems that need a patch or mod asap' list) 2) i can no longer have my 10 charisma characters walk around with a squad following him (seriously, that was the biggest win of charisma 10!) and 3) power armour is not epic enough.

When I first found the BoS members on my way to GNR, I was thinking 'one of you had better already be dead, or I am so gonna kill you for that armor'. thankfully, one was already dead. about now, i was having that moment I had in the older games, where finding the power armor was an awe inspiring moment, needing 10 minutes of kneeling before it before I put it on. Well, then we all found out that we needed a perk to use it, and we only got that perk 3/4 of the way through the main quest. I figured that was just a way of Bethesda balancing it's epicness. When we finally got to put it on, I just though '....... what is this, and where is my power armour?'. What the game suffers from is including a mechanic where your armour is epic to warrant getting it at level 15 or so, and then underpowering it until it is just a nice piece of armour that, for close combat characters is cool, and for everyone else; crap. Also, what's with the Enclave armour? I mean, i know it's a smaller trade off between strength and agility, but the brotherhood's armour is already bad enough, why take an armour that gives less strength, weighs equal to the brotherhood's, and it's helmet gives 3 rad resistance in exchange for 1 charisma.

The bottom line is that, the idea to tone down the armour was nice and all, but I would like our epic slightly OP armour back, remove the perk requirement, and make enclave armour have a point (like lighter, worse armour, and worse stat effecting).
Final note; Tesla armour. i know T.A. is not P.A., but who would honestly use it, even if they were super heavy energy weapon users, and have a crippling fear of radiation? with no strength bonus, you would need to drop everything except the armour, helm, a gun, and weightless items.

Well, that was my first post here (sry it was so long :( ). Hope someone rights these wrongs soon (good luck to whoever does)

I'd like it if the Minigun was power-armour exclusive.

It bothers me a bit to see skinny female raiders wielding a minigun etc. (they'd get launched into the air by the recoil if nothing else). The woman from Reilly's Raiders could be an exception.

I dunno, I think it'd add to the game if the only people capable of wielding a minigun would be Power Armoured or Super Mutants...

@arisian
any chance you can write a little guide on how and what to change to improve the armor like you did?

FootballFan said:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=117

This mod really improves power armor stats.

I have one important question to you guys. Is it true that you get to use power armor in a point where you cant stop doing main quest and only continue the plot line ?
no I'm pretty sure you can bail out on the main quest anywhere up until you go into the final room, although the world changes a bit after you break out of raven rock

Jebus said:
It bothers me a bit to see skinny female raiders wielding a minigun etc. (they'd get launched into the air by the recoil if nothing else). The woman from Reilly's Raiders could be an exception.

damn, so it's just me that finds something strangely attractive about a skinny girl with a gun twice her size?

oihrebwe are you pretty sure or 100% sure ?:) Cause you know i dont want to wait for it in situation where i get to wear it and then i can only do few main quests. I know its not really proper topic but hope someone could explain more about this matter.

FootballFan said:
oihrebwe are you pretty sure or 100% sure ?:) Cause you know i dont want to wait for it in situation where i get to wear it and then i can only do few main quests. I know its not really proper topic but hope someone could explain more about this matter.
I'm 100% sure you can do side quests after you get PA training. I can't remember if it's that quest or the next one that makes the enclave troops start popping up though

FootballFan said:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=117

This mod really improves power armor stats.

I like this mod, however it is not true to fallout 1 /2 I guess. I might mod it later if the modder allows it. Any suggestions on the stats? Or should I just copy the fallout 1/2 stats?

he's right, you can get the perk at a point where you can still do whatever you want.

i could go into more detail about exactly when you get it etc, but i don't wanna give too much of the plot away.

So i can get power armor and fast travel, do quests etc. thx for replies. What about thing oihrebwe said ? I get power armor and can by accident push the main quest so i cant go explore any more or i didnt undestand it correctly ? One more thing how much of the main quest remains after you get to use power armor, very little ?

Roflcore said:
Well maybe just tell us when we should stop the mainquest before we get stuck? I don't mind the spoilers.
OK let me put it this way, if you find yourself assaulting a building you've been in twice before and you go into a rotunda where someone important died, you won't be able to get back out. you can break off anywhere up till that point.

Well, oihrebwe is correct, that is the "point of no return" but basically, without the world changed a lot, except a few more guys standing around at random places around the map, the last point to aim to not go further after is when you are told to go into "Vault 87".

Back