Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson ... Stargate?

Maphusio

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Wow, I recorded Stargate Atlantis on Friday and watched it yesterday... To my surprise it guest stared Washingtonian Bill Nye the Science guy, and Neil deGrasse Tyson!

Did anyone catch this episode and have their mind thrown for a loop as well? Being a bit of a nerd I've watched many educational films that have had both Tyson and Nye in them (Excluding 'Almost Live').

Seeing goofy episodes like this makes me despise the Sci-Fi channel for canceling Atlantis that much more.

At any rate, I know there are some stargate fans here, what did you think? Who else would you add to a goofy stargate episode that just might fit in as well as Nye and Tyson?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qwXv7CscEI[/youtube]
http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/11/19/dave-foley-and-bill-nye-visit-stargate-atlantis-this-week/

They actually had a guy that was supposed to be hawking in this recent episode... Would have been great if it were the real deal.

Hawking should have been in one of the Star Wars movies. He'd be disabled in the movie as well, but every time he taps into the Force, he becomes this lightsaber-wielding ADHD basketcase muthafucka on crack.

That would have totally rocked. With the robot voice and all. Yeah.

:look:

He made an appearance in Star Trek: TNG as himself.

In Star Wars, he'd sit in his hoverchair, using the Force to make just his lightsaber fly around like a hummingbird on crack. Or compress his enemies into singularities.

alec said:
Melissa Lauren + Stephen Hawking

You seriously overrated Dr. Keller; she's hot, but not as this chick in your pic. And underrated Dr. Mckey a LOT: he's not suffering from degenerative disease or w/e that which Hawking has.

Also, half the posts in a Stargate thread being about Star Wars is insulting :x

Yes, I'm a rabbid SG fan: SW is great, but not awesomesauce. As Jack O'Neill once said: "Anyone who doesn't excite about the Stargate is whacked". (did I misspell anything? :P)

yup i watch all the stargate shows...

original collectors edition

sg1 full 10 seasons collection

both sg 1 movies

waiting for the series to end for the sga collection to buy that

gonna play stargate worlds when it gets released next year

eagarly awaiting the SGA movie comming out next year, and there is supposed to be a new sg 1 movie too next year, starting shooting in jan/feb from what i understand with release in sept-nov

jewel staite is hot, but i prefer carson myself. and i prefer RSF over teyla imo

and all the shippers are happy about this epi, gives some closure to the burgeoning relationship between keller and mckay. they hinted at it in last man and the following epi

but yea, this epi was cool. i wonder how the dude got the research, i wonder if it was from the nid or the trust. probably the trust, but they never went into detail.

and im excited about SGU also, i think they said its comming summer 2009 starting, they are casting now and have the first 4 epis, and its a 3 parter for the series opener not a 2 parter.

STU? I thought it was called Star-Voy-Fly, otherwise known as Star Gate, Voyager and Firefly... all combined into one.

Either way, I'm sure it will be entertaining. I think there is again the lack of character issue that Stargate Atlantis initially suffered from. You fall in love with certain character's and don't want to see them go. Then you see the new show and things just are not the same... Not sure why I never had that feeling with Star Trek...

Makenshi... Jewel is way hotter than Alic's girl whom seems like she would give me an STD of some sort... In fact, I'm pretty sure I just contracted one. Back to Jewel, is it me, or did she seem like she had gained weight all of the sudden?

she used to be anorexic and is getting better from what i understand.

i think it was based on always getting short roles and not being valued as a "real" actress but getting on SGA she has been long term person helped a bit

SGU

stargate universe...

its based on finding out the use of the 9th chevron to dial the ancients gate seeding ship and they accidentally get trapped on it. supposed to be a return to the SG 1 roots with a 4-6 member team, inexperienced and unable to get back to SGC for the first 1-2 seasons at least, supposed to go for 5 and then possibly get replaced by the next SG show if it makes it.

MGM ( the ones who handle all the broadcasting/budgeting ) doesnt think any of the SG shows should go over 5 seasons even though SCI FI and canadian guys wanted a 6th season MGM said it wasnt going to happen but they would do a new show.

TheWesDude said:
she used to be anorexic and is getting better from what i understand.

i think it was based on always getting short roles and not being valued as a "real" actress but getting on SGA she has been long term person helped a bit

SGU

stargate universe...

its based on finding out the use of the 9th chevron to dial the ancients gate seeding ship and they accidentally get trapped on it. supposed to be a return to the SG 1 roots with a 4-6 member team, inexperienced and unable to get back to SGC for the first 1-2 seasons at least, supposed to go for 5 and then possibly get replaced by the next SG show if it makes it.

MGM ( the ones who handle all the broadcasting/budgeting ) doesnt think any of the SG shows should go over 5 seasons even though SCI FI and canadian guys wanted a 6th season MGM said it wasnt going to happen but they would do a new show.

You have a link on the source on MGM cutting the umbilical cord? I had not heard that. Far as I knew, it was another Mark Stern move.

@Maphusio: Yes, Jewel is gaining some more weight than she needs. She was in better shape last year, imo. But she's still hot :mrgreen:

@TheWesDude: Sir, I'm proud of you, a fine'n legit SG fan. Just like me. :ok:

But Jewel wasn't anorexic, it's you who like some meat :)

MGM is the one who pays the bills, SCI-FI is the one who airs it, and the canadian production company is the one who does all the shooting.

the canadian production company ( most fans refer to it as TPTB i think ) said that it was going to be a final season and it was passed on to them from "higher up" and SCI-FI has stated multiple times along with TPTB that they would have loved to continue to series as it was still very popular. the only one left is MGM, and they are the ones who provide the major funding for it. SCI-FI is a minor intrest and MGM has controlling intrest. in fact, MGM owns the franchise.

MGM has told TPTB they would rather 5 seasons of endless SG shows to keep it fresh, and then funding about 1-2 movies per year per franchise.

that movie part didnt come out untill after the first 2 SG1 movies came out and were far more popular than MGM predicted and thats why they are doing hte movies.

the whole reason those 2 movies came out was judge and shanks made a production company to produce the movies. there is supposed to be a SG1 movie in mid-late 2009 and a SGA movie in late 2009.

although no official announcement has been made about how much tapping will be in the next sg1 movie due to sanctuary.

TPTB = The Powers That Be :mrgreen:

although no official announcement has been made about how much tapping will be in the next sg1 movie due to sanctuary.

The truth is that SG-1 actors have been working in the SG franchise for more than 10 years, it's awesome and they love it - not to mention it boosted up their careers (even for Richard Dean Anderson, the legendary McGuyver).

It's a big part of their lifes, no wonder they want to keep it going. If I were Michael Shanks, I wouldn't let go of a character that is considered the wisest and most powerful human (on a personal level) in two galaxies :wink:

Mike is to busy being a playa playa on TV... And married to the dreamiest sci-fi Asian girl ever... Next to Grace Park.

TheWesDude said:
that movie part didnt come out untill after the first 2 SG1 movies came out and were far more popular than MGM predicted and thats why they are doing hte movies.
My understanding was that he had been planning on doing the movies once the series ended from the start. I'm not sure why he was waiting for the series to end seeing as he only considers his movie canon but whatever.

I don't really care for the last couple seasons of SG1, the plot and series was done at the end of season 8 and Richard Dean Anderson semi-retiring to more of a producer role. I also thought that the grab of Black and Browder was a overt and fairly ridiculous grab at the Farscape fanbase (the series I'm most sore about being canceled and that still hasn't been concluded [the Nebari were never dealt with]). They do alright but neither are spectacular (though they have their moments), it's really Shanks and Judge who made it good enough to continue watching.

Atlantis is alright (never liked it as much as SG1) and was really getting in a rhythm when they decided to kill off key supportive cast (Carson and Weir) and then they brought Carson back in the most retarded method. Bringing in Tapping to replace Higginson was also a mistake, I don't think that she meshed well with the cast at all. It's a bummer to see it go but it's nothing compared to the clusterfuck that was the Farscape cancellation for me.

Indeed, Shanks and Judge are the very soul and heart of SG-1. But Vala Mal Doran (Cladia Black) was a fantastic adition to the show (Browder not so much but... w/e...), and it's a pity she only got 1 season as an SG team member (fluffy wise).

Weir was Atlantis' Hammond, and should never have been dismissed the way she was. But as it happened, they should have replaced her by Wolsey straight away (so he could have his two season and effectively be Atlantis's Landry), and put Carter on the team, as pregnant Teyla's replacement during season 4 - like Jonan Quinn replacing Jackson in SG-1.

Carson, if the really had to kill him, should either have remained dead or come back 100%. There's no reason for not having 2 doctors: one could always be in missions and the other always in the lab; also, they could switch places from time to time.

tbh, i have to admit that by end of season 6 i was getting tired of RDA and his playing the idiot card so much. bowder didnt do it as badly or as often it feelt like.

i liked S9 and 10, it felt like a breath of fresh air and i liked the whole ori line, but it was rushed with only 2 seasons.

but yes, carson, wier, and RSF pissed me off a lot in SGA...

its ok to kill off supplemental chars but the core 5 should be dependable. leader, fighter, science guy, culture guy(gal) and the "base" commander. should all have stayed alive. it pissed me off greatly when they killed off the doctor in sg1, but they did it very nice in a 2 parter. carson, while it was frigging awesome the death episode, felt like he was a huge part of the cast.

TheWesDude said:
tbh, i have to admit that by end of season 6 i was getting tired of RDA and his playing the idiot card so much.

No frackin' way! I loved RDA's character and miss it thoroughly... Come on, who didn't love, "Yeah, OK, I buy that."

Canadian at its best! :clap:

well, i loved the idiot role in moebius 1 and 2... worked really well there, but in too many other places it seemed way too forced just to give tapping an exposition lead in

Back