BioShock on Game Videos

Tannhauser

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
1Up's Game Videos has uploaded both a special on BioShock/Irrational, and a series of trailers showing off different plasmids. The special interviews Ken Levine and other Irrational employees, and explores various parts of BioShock's development. The trailers are about various plasmid abilites and employ 'cards' displaying various actions; reminiscent of Vault Boy. The famous Indian Head test pattern also makes an appearance in a gameplay clip in the special.

<center> </center>

According to the special, these cards will show up in the game as part of short training videos.

Links:
BioShock Special Interview at Game Videos.
Security Bullseye at Game Videos.
Cyclone Trap at Game Videos.
Winter Blast at Game Videos.
Telekinesis at Game Videos.
Insect Swarm at Game Videos.

Spotted on The Cult of Rapture.

you forgot Toilet Boy too. and obvious wink.

edit: just watched the interview. pretty sweet stuff. although i'm puzzled that he tells you the game will let you know you're underpowered if you move through too fast & that you should go back to fight some big daddies to steal the various powers from the kids. i thought in the early vids it told you you could choose if you were going to save the Rapture (be the good guy) or save yourself (powerhungry). doesnt be the goodguy imply not to just kill big daddies for blatant powergain?

that indian head test card in the bioshock picture is the loading screen from fallout.... right? (The original does not say please stand by... right????)

exactly.

Those cards are totally awesome. The drawing style is even superior to the Vault Boy cards (I'm sorry, I had to say it).

monsharen said:
that indian head test card in the bioshock picture is the loading screen from fallout.... right? (The original does not say please stand by... right????)

Well, here are the two relevant images:

splash0ks3.jpg

album_pic.php

I would believe it safe to say they are both from the same source image, the lettering matches too closely. The only difference I notice is that the outer circle can be clearly seen through the B in the Fallout version, while you only see gray in the BioShock version. If you pay close attention to where the lines intersect the letters, the details match exactly.

However, we don't know if both studios drew from a common source. The "Please Stand By" Indian Head pattern image could be from an old television studio, used coincidently by both studios as they looked for appropriate retro imagery.

As far as I'm aware, the test pattern is from one used by a tv studio in the past.
However, the phrase "PLEASE STAND BY" was added in Fallout.

Tannhauser said:
The "Please Stand By" Indian Head pattern image could be from an old television studio, used coincidently by both studios as they looked for appropriate retro imagery.

Indeed

Vault 69'er said:
However, the phrase "PLEASE STAND BY" was added in Fallout.

It appears so. It also uses one of Fallout's fonts.

Most likely Bioshock's version is just a nod to the Fallout series, as the creators were probably inspired by it's retro theme as well.

... Or bribed by Bethesda ;)

Lol, just joking.

Oh, and what Tannhauser said about B... you still can seethe circle but its highlighted by the bright aura comming from the letter itself, thus circle is a bit brighter and has similar color to the background.
And so these two pics ARE identical ;)

Back