Brian Fargo in GFW

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Brian Fargo talks a bit on Fallout 3 and Wasteland 2 in the latest issue of GFW:<blockquote>GFW: While not many games are straight-up comedy, some do have it in degrees. Take your work on Fallout [Brian Fargo did not do any work on Fallout - NMA] --it bridged that gap, but in a very dark way.
BF: Oh, yeah--we love the dark humor. [Laughs] And the older we get, the darker we get. When you mix the absurd with the hyperviolent--like what Tarantino does in films--you can get some great results.

GFW: Bethesda [the developer making Fallout 3] hasn't really done dark humor in their games. Do you think this will matter?
BF: Yeah, their stuff is a little more serious, a little drier. Humor is tough to do, but you know what? They're clever guys, and I can't wait to see what they do. I know that they'll do well. In fact, I'd trust maybe three developers with Fallout---and Bethesda's definitely [one of them]. One thing I can tell you, though, is that our Wasteland would be much darker than their Fallout.

GFW: That's right--you've aquired the rights to Wasteland.
BF: It started it all. If the right design idea comes along, we would love to make another Wasteland game. I think Bethesda is gonna do gangbusters with Fallout--just great--and if they make a huge hit, maybe people will be curious to get another look at what inspired Fallout in the first place.

GFW: Why didn't you just make a Wasteland sequel back then? Did it not sell well?
BF: It was strange. You see, EA released Wasteland on the exact same day as The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight. They were trying to meet financials for their quarter end. We were like the Bioware of that time, known for our RPGs. Imagine if Bioware released two games on the same day. That'd never happen--it makes no sense. So, end of story, the game did well, but it fell under many people's radar because of when it released. We actually did try to get the rights Wasteland to make a sequel, but EA considered us competitors at that point. We had to create Fallout as a result.</blockquote>Thanks EThugg.

Brother None said:
[Brian Fargo did not do any work on Fallout - NMA]

Didn't FO1 say, "Brian Fargo presents"? Doesn't that mean he got his hands in it indirectly, somehow...? At very least with the direction the way the game went? Or does that simply mean he said, "Make me a game", and was never heard from by the devs and upper-level guys about it, until after it went gold?

And the above comment from Brian Fargo about EA trying to "reach their financial goals for their quarter end" is exactly what is wrong with gaming today. (and with capitalism today).

Most developes (and publishers) do have some sort of contract today (I think?) that stipulates that if sales exceeds a certain number for the first month or two, they'd
get a nice bonus. Same for quarter sales,
and yearly sales.

Way back in the 1990's it was 'by gamers for gamers', not the market that decided (to a certain extent) which games would be made. Today, games are made for a market, not for gamers. And that's capitalism for you...

No, no, and no, Seraphim. Tim Cain had an idea, Leonard Boyarsky added to it, all Fargo did was not cancel it at any point. He is responsible for the fact that the game exists, but he was not involved in the process of making it.

Well, as someone who worked on Wasteland, he might have had some influence on the choice of a post-apoc setting for the GURPS game...

Seraphim Pwns U said:
Brother None said:
[Brian Fargo did not do any work on Fallout - NMA]

Didn't FO1 say, "Brian Fargo presents"? Doesn't that mean he got his hands in it indirectly, somehow...? At very least with the direction the way the game went? Or does that simply mean he said, "Make me a game", and was never heard from by the devs and upper-level guys about it, until after it went gold?

He got people together, through some ideas to the table, that's it.

The "Brian Fargo presents" was placed on purpose by Leon, Tim and Jason as a personal thanks to Fargo, because he didn't cancel Fallout half way through against the will of many Interplay suits that said the company should only do D&D RPGs (the reason baldurs gate was changed from being a Warcraft clone to a RPG on the D&D setting was in very loose terms because of that mindset ), but Fargo hold firm and in the end got a surprise hit of what was supposed to be a B game.

aries369 said:
And the above comment from Brian Fargo about EA trying to "reach their financial goals for their quarter end" is exactly what is wrong with gaming today. (and with capitalism today).

Most developes (and publishers) do have some sort of contract today (I think?) that stipulates that if sales exceeds a certain number for the first month or two, they'd
and yearly sales.

Way back in the 1990's it was 'by gamers for gamers', not the market that decided (to a certain extent) which games would be made. Today, games are made for a market, not for gamers. And that's capitalism for you...

I'm pretty sure games were always made to make a profit. Sure, a company may put its heart and soul into a game and say they're doing it for the gamers, but in the long run it's for the money.

OK, he probably didn't do anything for Fallout, as he isn't credited for anything, but for those that consider him just a "suit", who didn't design anything ever, as I've seen some around here say, he is credited as designer and/or writer for plenty of games.
So yeah, either they liked to suck his cock and credited him for nothing, or he did something there indeed.

On the other hand, it's hard for me to defend him now after what he's saying about Bethesda's raping of Fallout.
Eh...

Brother None said:
No, no, and no, Seraphim. Tim Cain had an idea, Leonard Boyarsky added to it, all Fargo did was not cancel it at any point. He is responsible for the fact that the game exists, but he was not involved in the process of making it.

Hehehe, that works, then. But now I'm even more befuddled... why even put his name on it in the first place, if he had nothing to do with it? *reads the credits again* He's not even in the credits... :/ I have finally found my first complaint against the original FOs: 'putting the name of someone who didn't can your game in the intro credits is rather silly'.

Edit:
@ Briosafreak - you do make some good points. Welp, I guess it is *something* then. :)

It would be a bad business decision to bash Fallout 3. You dont bash people in the same field as you do. It makes you look really bad.

NukaColaClassic said:
aries369 said:

and yearly sales.

I'm pretty sure games were always made to make a profit. Sure, a company may put its heart and soul into a game and say they're doing it for the gamers, but in the long run it's for the money.

Yes, of course, games needs to make a profit :) It just seems to me, at least, that in the 1990's, game developers didn't listen very much to the market department. If they had, would we have gotten a game like Grim Fandango, or a game like Gabriel Knight 1 or Ultima IV (4) where all you do basically is go questing for information. (as I've been told). I don't think so. Would we have gotten Fallout 1, a game in which you can kill children (or was that in FO2 :?: ) and a games like Sanitarium, Shivers, Blackstone Chronicles, and the King's Quest series. I don't think so.
And yet, these games sold fairly well - in their day :)

Today, it seems, the market department take a look and see what type of game is popular, so the devs. are more or less told to make such a game, even if it is an rpg. Why do think both Mass Effects and Fallout 3 look like Gears of War and Resistance: Fall of Man and Todd and Emil P. playing Halo is used as selling point for Fallout 3. Simply, because FPS games sell. Hence, marketing things that a game needs to ber similar to a FPS in its looks, so it can sell 2 million (or more) copies in the first 2 months of its release. Mass Effect and Fallout 3 may be fully fledged RPG games under the hood, but that does matter to the suits these days. What matters is that the games sell well - within the first 2 months - so that marketing, pr & the company reaches their goal for sold games within the first fiscal quarter after the game's release.

As for Brian Fargo's involvement in Fallout 1+2, it is very clear: He was the Prez. of Interplay (or was it Black Isle?). He OK'ed the Fallout games, and my best bet is that he actually sat in on some of the design's meetings, or at least OK'ed the design docs. etc. for both Fallout 1+2.

Well, in the early days, it didn't cost so much to create a completly new game with superb graphics.

What Brian is saying is...Todd is to fucking young to have humor on the level of lord Tarantino. I've got older cum stains then Todd. Todd wouldn't know a fucking nuke-cola joke if jolt hit him in the head with a Reno hocker wrapped around his dick.

GFW: That's right--you've aquired the rights to Wasteland.
BF: It started it all. If the right design idea comes along, we would love to make another Wasteland game. I think Bethesda is gonna do gangbusters with Fallout--just great--and if they make a huge hit, maybe people will be curious to get another look at what inspired Fallout in the first place.
So he is only waiting how the Fallout 3 will end.And I was actually hoping he has started with works on Wasteland 2 :(

I know but I haven't played Wasteland (shame on me, I know) so I can't tell if it's good or not or if I'll like it or not.

Back