Broken Roads Demo Available Now (Post-apoc isometric RPG set in Australia)

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Broken Roads is a post-apoc isometric RPG taking place down under in Australia. Today the developer announced the release of a demo that's available on Steam.

Drop Bear Bytes said:
In this demo, you’ll play as the Hired Gun, one of the four origin stories available in the full game. As the Hired Gun, you’ll have unique attributes and starting skills, as well as a certain reputation around the world, which will affect how people you meet along the way will interact with you.

Get a taste of Broken Roads’ turn-based combat, Moral Compass system, and gorgeous hand-drawn visuals as you explore a post-apocalyptic Western Australia and meet its inhabitants, each with their own individual stories and motives.

The game could for all I know be good and I hope some of you go and play the demo and then report back here. What's the opinion on Broken Roads?

IMG_3237.jpeg

This looks awesome. Finally someone tries to make a morality system more complex than “good vs evil.” Very interested in trying this out.

I've tried it yesterday night for a quick 5 minutes. Didn't had more time to dive into it deeper. However, the first thing I've noticed is that I find the text hard to read. Not sure if it was just because it was late, or if it's an issue with the game itself. Will try again later I guess.

Visually it looks like a mix of encased with painted graphics better than say Disco Elysium. Anti virus sees the game has having no certificate which may scare some people off. Some text is a bit small so I tried to change to 1280X720, the game went back to 1080X920. Put it on my wish list as it seems like a game I would get right into. The choice of humanist, Machiavellian, Nihilist, utilitarianismification may play like Torment tides of Numenara if you pick weird answers. Skill check dicerolls similar to DE which can be made easier by what the game calls cunts sorry PUNTS.
A character said crikey so it is definitely Australian.
So far this looks very good.

Broken Steel and Lonesome Road were both pretty underwhelming so combining them doesn't really get me all that excited.

So far I think the dialogue is great, generally a wide range of options to choose. A lot of opportunities to “Say nothing” as well, which is always nice. Player morality has a slight effect on what dialogue options are available.

The moral compass is an interesting idea, essentially limiting some dialogue options based on what direction your character’s moral compass is facing, but I don’t really get why a Nihilist is able to shift towards Humanist more easily than a Machiavellian can.

Combat is fine I guess. Haven’t tried it out too much yet. Has a tile-less movement system, which I like.

Yes, the text is too small.

Some of you might get a kick out of the fact that the game warns you that it may feature the names and voices of dead people, which is offensive to Aboriginal people or something. Which is fine, everyone’s got silly religions, but then on the title screen there’s a blurb at the bottom acknowledging a bunch of Aboriginal tribes as the Elder Custodians of Australia and pays respects to their future ancestors, or something. None of this white guilt stuff bleeds into the game, so I don’t really have a problem with it, but it is a little eye-roll inducing.

I always thought it would be funny to do land acknowledgements on the east coast and say something like "We are on land that rightfully belongs to the British"

View attachment 27337

This looks awesome. Finally someone tries to make a morality system more complex than “good vs evil.” Very interested in trying this out.
Interesting for sure. Not sure it really makes sense. I tried it out yesterday and started with a mostly Humanist-leaning-Utilitarian character. Only a few of the moral traits are available in the demo tho and with my moral compass being as it was I missed out on all of them by a smidgen. So the solution was to pick a few Machiavellian dialogue options which pushed me away from Utilitarianism more towards Humanism. Which is kinda hilarious. I'm sure they're still working on this, of course.

Sadly the game is continously crashing on my Windows10 system. But as far as I can tell the graphics look nice and the text is readable at least for me.

Last edited:
At least you can see the inventory. One game I recently played the items were too small to tell what they were sometimes...Deadfire I think it was.

At least you can see the inventory. One game I recently played the items were too small to tell what they were sometimes...Deadfire I think it was.

I thought at one time LARGE inventories and management seemed to be getting phased out as old school.
Then they made a comeback.
Every adventurer knows carrying a 50 foot rope and hunks of scrap metal fit tidily into their magic bag.

Back