Broken Roads - Post-Apocalyptic CRPG set in the Land Down Under

Nice! I made a newspost about this unknowing we already had a thread.

It certainly looks good however the voice over in the trailer isn't an example of good writing. But it's a long time till 2021 so they have a lot of time to sharpen.

Looks interesting enough. Aesthetically it is the closest to Fallout yet. Is the morality system all there is to it though or is there a stat and or skill system?

On their website they say that they have a "classless system". There are expericence and leveling. On one of the screenshots you can see that there's a medicine skill, so there are probably other skills as well. There also appears to be traits based on the morality system.

Attributes are confirmed as:

Strenght, Agility, Resolve, Precision, Intelligence, Charisma, Speed and Awareness.

Edit: Found an interview with the devloper here which sheds some light on things.

Craig Ritchie said:
I hate grind in my games and we are specifically avoiding that. As it stands right now, there’s no random combat and we have an approach to XP distribution that I don’t want to go into too much detail right now, but will reward many different play styles.

Craig Ritchie said:
Their range of options is called their ‘World View’ – shown as a highlighted gold area on the compass, and any dialogue choices, quest solutions, and moral traits within their World View are available to them. And this is over and above the skills and abilities in the talent treeso you can have your pursuits and projects on the one hand, and your quirks and complexities on the other. While talents are generally always positive or open up something new, traits are generally a double-edged sword. For instance, going full nihilist might grant some brutal combat abilities but prevent you from any greater-good dialogue and questing options.

I always felt philosophy was a little underserved in gaming, as there are so many interesting moral dilemmas and thought experiments that can be played out in an RPG if the underlying system allowed for it. I really just wanted to create something that broke away from a light-side/dark-side split, or clear binary good and evil thinking. Even a spectrum between those two extremes doesn’t capture the depth and nuance of many situations we can face in our lives.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice, actually.

I’m kind of tired of seeing that ”empty/half full/full” shield icon and mechanic copypasted in every TB game that gets made these days (same as with the other XCOM lookalikes), but that’s not really a complaint worth pushing forward.

I wish someone’d take GTA 2 as a base example to craft a topdown TB RPG.

The end-of-the-year update contains some nice demonstrations of fog-of-war, day and night cycle and the updated inventory:

inventory-wip-dec-2020.jpg

Invenotry-Filter.gif

Apparently, Broken Roads changed Publisher, from Team17 to Versus Evil:
Press release

They made a new Trailer for the game too:

The game will be at the next Gamescom:
Broken Roads will be at Gamescom next week for press and gamers to check out an updated version of the game more closely, along with the publisher's other new signing, Eville: a multiplayer social deduction game which adds a new twist to the genre with its medieval RPG style, character roles, and individualized motives.

For more details on Broken Roads and Eville head over to the games respective Steam Pages:

Broken Roads
Eville

Everything looks so green and lush in that game that you hardly notice it's supposed to be PA.

Heh, the first time I ever heard about this game was through TriangleCity's video where he interviewed Fallout Tactics Lead Designer Ed Orman. He gave a shout out to the game at the end of the interview BTW. :-)

Delayed for additional polish:

Broken Roads delayed until early 2024
Hi everyone.

Since 2019 the Drop Bear Bytes team has been pouring their hearts & souls into Broken Roads, spending countless hours designing, troubleshooting, and adjusting to player feedback. While Broken Roads is still coming, we’ve made the decision to delay the release to allow for additional polish time and QA manpower plus resources to ensure a higher quality bar for the thousands of permutations that can arise. While the game is now content complete, it is also coming in longer than we originally anticipated at ~30 hours of gameplay and nearly 400,000 words of dialogue. As you can imagine, it’s extremely time-consuming to properly test all of these.

This was not an easy decision, however the teams here at Drop Bear Bytes & Versus Evil have decided that to ensure we deliver the highest quality product, it would be best to delay the game’s launch just a bit longer until early next year.

We’d like to thank the community for your continued support and patience with us. We are committed to delivering a game that will exceed the community’s expectations, and we believe this move will help us do just that.

- The team at Drop Bear Bytes

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe they delayed it because of the many game releases this November and they think sales might be better earlier next year.

I mean there's Colony Ship and later Rogue Trader this year and lots of other titles. People wont prioritise Broken Roads. The competition made them fear for their sales and then they delayed 5 days before launch and gave QA as an excuse.

Last edited:
Back