Cartoons Are For Kids

Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network?

• Nickelodeon

• Cartoon Network

Results are only viewable after voting.

TerminallyChill

Be excellent to each other.
Any fans of animation out there in the Fallout community? What are your favorite cartoons?

I personally always find myself inspired most by two titans of the new millenium, the first of which is the creative faction surrounding Genndy Tartakovsky. He, along with Craig McCracken and Rob Renzetti, made a lot of that awesome Russian Constructivist-looking shit you saw on TV in the late 90s and early 2000s.

maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BMjA0MjMyNTEzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ1NTY2MjE@._V1_.jpg

d145395f-0902-44a3-9776-10ec54deb45c.jpg

my-life-as-a-teenage-robot-wallpaper-17.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-06-17-14h38m45s224.png

The other group I love from this era is the Joe Murray/Stephen Hillenburg/Jeff Marsh crew. Despite airing on children's networks, the cartoons these guys made had a universal age appeal thanks to clever writing and relatable subject matter.

Rocko's+Modern+Life+(15).jpg

179442.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Those you mentioned are standouts. I could be here all day....Cartoon Network wins because of Toonami and Adult Swim. Nick was where I was in my younger years, then I graduated to Toonami...then they turned Adult Swim into Toonami. I must admit I love me some cartoons.

BD2wlxJ.jpg
kkVdMiH.jpg
47w8a9P.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

images

1446281126196.jpg

3dcbf32ac7cc9a0de3b5da72e35f8dcb--childhood-characters-my-childhood.jpg

sickle.jpg

aPARZ9v.jpg

XLFv12I.jpg

mighty-max-skullmaster.png

latest

latest

Mainly for the art.

I have to admit, the main reason I voted Nickelodeon was because most of their programming was always slapslick and joke heavy. The sitcom format also meant that each episode of a series was self contained and could be watched in no particular order.

Contrast that with Toonami, which played a lot of serious, action-oriented content that often followed a narrative arc between episodes. I usually never caught the beginnings of these, so I never had any interest in picking up the story in the middle.

I have to admit, the main reason I voted Nickelodeon was because most of their programming was always slapslick and joke heavy. The sitcom format also meant that each episode of a series was self contained and could be watched in no particular order.

Toonami...
Voted Cartoon Network only because it was the channel I watched more but I have to admit Nick shows just had that more polished feel; more consistent shapes camera angles and body proportions in their characters (with the exception of Rocko's and Spongebob) as opposed to the heavy cartoon world and toon physics of CN shows. Mostly because shows like Arnold, Thornberries, Real Monsters, Rugrats technically still take place in the 'real world'.

I never really considered Toonami to be "Cartoon Network Shows" with the exception of a few (Teen Titans...) since most of them were dubs instead of actual shows produced for the network. I think it's fairer to compare Nick shows with CN's Hanna-Barberra and Cartoon Cartoons lineup (what I consider to be "real" Cartoon Network shows) and ignore Toonami in this discussion.

These days? Cartoon Network, but ONLY because it has Toonami. Most standard programming is absolute garbage. At least the anime on Toonami is (usually) decent.

When I was a kid CN was definitely second fiddle to Nick, but nowadays all the good stuff is gone from both. CN is full of CalArts crap and Nick has more live-action than animated it seems?

The only good show on cartoon network is the amazing world of gumball, Toonami is nice but I don't want to stay up all night to watch anime that I can watch online. Everything these days is just crappy calarts that play it safe. I don't watch nick but so I can't really say anything about it but from what i have seen it just looks like a bunch of sitcom garbage.

I watch cartoons with my 8 year old, and have since he was born. Some have been easier to sit through then others. I am thoroughly convinced that 'Caillou' teaches kids how to whine, and Pokemon is a gateway drug for cockfighting. But there have been standouts at every age. I liked 'Props Pig', 'Adventure Time', and 'We Bare Bears' quite a bit. Over the summer, he has discovered 'Dragon Ball', which I enjoy but his mother hates. So yeah, I suppose I still watch cartoons.

I'm too old to know what the hell is a Cartoon Network... Ok, I do know what Cartoon Network is, but I don't know which shows belong there, since I haven't watch cartoons in years.

So I can't really vote in this poll, but I can at least say some of the cartoons I loved to watch, some I even re-watched in the last few years when I was too tired to do anything productive.

Risewild's trip to memory lane:
  • Thundercats (original)
    • I remember being a teenager back then, and having a thing for Cheetara
      nro7XU7.gif
  • Biker Mice From Mars (Original)
  • Bravestarr
    • A futuristic Native American "space cowboy" marshal with superhuman "animal" powers, with a bad-ass, violent cyborg horse (named Thirty/Thirty) that wields a bad-ass weapon (named Sarah Jane) for deputy/partner? What's not to like!
  • X-Men
    • Pretty good X-Men show. Only con was that Wolverine was limited to slash robots and objects (since it was a kid's show). But it was still a pretty nice show.
  • Batman, the animated series
  • Conan: The Adventurer (TorontRayne already posted it above)
    • It had the same con as the X-Men. Conan was limited to not slash humans or humanoids, he had to just place his sword made of magic metal near serpent-men to banish them to another dimension. It was still quite a nice show.
  • Count Duckula
    • Back then I considered this show hilarious. I will need to re-watch it and see if it was really that funny.
  • Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
    • Armored space cowboys with bad-ass vehicles and a robot horse. They have a giant spaceship that can transform (in the good old Japanese way) into a giant robot cowboy with nipple guns called Ramrod? Yes please!
  • Voltron: Defender of the Universe (original)
    • A group of space explorers that pilot giant feline robots that can merge to create a giant robot warrior called Voltron, used to fight evil enemies.
So I guess I would vote for 80's and 90's cartoons. But that is not an option :lmao:.

Voted Cartoon Network only because it was the channel I watched more but I have to admit Nick shows just had that more polished feel; more consistent shapes camera angles and body proportions in their characters (with the exception of Rocko's and Spongebob) as opposed to the heavy cartoon world and toon physics of CN shows. Mostly because shows like Arnold, Thornberries, Real Monsters, Rugrats technically still take place in the 'real world'.

I never really considered Toonami to be "Cartoon Network Shows" with the exception of a few (Teen Titans...) since most of them were dubs instead of actual shows produced for the network. I think it's fairer to compare Nick shows with CN's Hanna-Barberra and Cartoon Cartoons lineup (what I consider to be "real" Cartoon Network shows) and ignore Toonami in this discussion.

You're right in saying that Toonami shouldn't represent all of Cartoon Network. Some of their best original programming could easily have gone toe to toe with Nickelodeon in its prime.

The only good show on cartoon network is the amazing world of gumball, Toonami is nice but I don't want to stay up all night to watch anime that I can watch online. Everything these days is just crappy calarts that play it safe. I don't watch nick but so I can't really say anything about it but from what i have seen it just looks like a bunch of sitcom garbage.

Amazing World Of Gumball is awesome. Their kitchen sink approach to animation was so refreshing to see on a network filled to the brim with Frederator/Adventure Time clones. Clarence was another good one they played recently. Had extremely low expectations when a friend and I were flipping through the channels and found it one day, but we ended up laughing our asses off.

Man, The Amazing World of Gumball is great. In one episode they made fun of SJWs. The show has some nice humor that occasionally references things in pop culture.

Another great Cartoon Network show was regular show. Too bad it ended last year.

Never really saw that one, but sometimes a show ending 'too early' is actually for the best. Look at cartoons like Spongebob and the Simpsons that have deeply overstayed their welcome. The writers are essentially reanimating corpses at this point.

I choose neither Nick or CN. They both suck now. Especially Nickelodeon. The last great show they had was The Last Airbender and Korra was a horrid nightmare and only season 3 was good and that was because of the villains. It says a lot when I was rooting for them to permanently kill Korra during her torture scene. Man, her character sucked.

I choose neither Nick or CN. They both suck now. Especially Nickelodeon. The last great show they had was The Last Airbender and Korra was a horrid nightmare and only season 3 was good and that was because of the villains. It says a lot when I was rooting for them to permanently kill Korra during her torture scene. Man, her character sucked.
I'm glad that more people are realizing how crappy korra is. When the show was still new every one loved it.

Most TV sucks today anyway. That's what happens when YouTube and Netflix make you obsolete. In their prime though, which was better?

Never really saw that one, but sometimes a show ending 'too early' is actually for the best. Look at cartoons like Spongebob and the Simpsons that have deeply overstayed their welcome. The writers are essentially reanimating corpses at this point.
It's sad what the simpsons have become. All fox shows are garbage except Bob's burgers.

Has anyone watched Spawn the animated series? One of the few adult cartoons that's not a comendy. Wish we had more shows like it.
Oh I remember. It was on HBO and violent as all hell.
I'm too old to know what the hell is a Cartoon Network... Ok, I do know what Cartoon Network is, but I don't know which shows belong there, since I haven't watch cartoons in years.

So I can't really vote in this poll, but I can at least say some of the cartoons I loved to watch, some I even re-watched in the last few years when I was too tired to do anything productive.

Risewild's trip to memory lane:
  • Thundercats (original)
    • I remember being a teenager back then, and having a thing for Cheetara
      nro7XU7.gif
  • Biker Mice From Mars (Original)
  • Bravestarr
    • A futuristic Native American "space cowboy" marshal with superhuman "animal" powers, with a bad-ass, violent cyborg horse (named Thirty/Thirty) that wields a bad-ass weapon (named Sarah Jane) for deputy/partner? What's not to like!
  • X-Men
    • Pretty good X-Men show. Only con was that Wolverine was limited to slash robots and objects (since it was a kid's show). But it was still a pretty nice show.
  • Batman, the animated series
  • Conan: The Adventurer (TorontRayne already posted it above)
    • It had the same con as the X-Men. Conan was limited to not slash humans or humanoids, he had to just place his sword made of magic metal near serpent-men to banish them to another dimension. It was still quite a nice show.
  • Count Duckula
    • Back then I considered this show hilarious. I will need to re-watch it and see if it was really that funny.
  • Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
    • Armored space cowboys with bad-ass vehicles and a robot horse. They have a giant spaceship that can transform (in the good old Japanese way) into a giant robot cowboy with nipple guns called Ramrod? Yes please!
  • Voltron: Defender of the Universe (original)
    • A group of space explorers that pilot giant feline robots that can merge to create a giant robot warrior called Voltron, used to fight evil enemies.
So I guess I would vote for 80's and 90's cartoons. But that is not an option :lmao:.
I remember all those.

I'm glad that more people are realizing how crappy korra is. When the show was still new every one loved it.

I was watching this again last night.

Most TV sucks today anyway. That's what happens when YouTube and Netflix make you obsolete. In their prime though, which was better?

I watched Cartoon Network more than anything. Nickelodeon was good only for Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob and by the time I graduated High School I had abandoned both.

These days, I only use my Tv to occasionally play on my 360. Occasionally. When I wanna watch a movie I do it online. Tv is dead and show companies like CN and Nick know it but many have failed to get with the times. It's only a matter of time before they all go under. When you fail to innovate, the future will steamroll you.

Back