Chance's Knife feels cheap....

The Suave Gambler

First time out of the vault
I started a melee character today with 8 str, 8 end, 2 agl, 7 luck, and the rest 5-6. I immediately went to chances grave to get his light armor and knife.

This thing is incredible on my melee character (75 dps, 19 damage) and kills most things in 2-3 seconds early in the game, this coupled with medx or turbo makes me near godlike. Its all well and good until I realize there really isn't a better melee weapon in the game until you get near the end of the main quest. So I feel its a little cheap for me to be using it, maybe its because I wanted to be a "knight" character with big weapon that does a lot of damage but is slow, but this weapon just feels pretty overpowered for how close it is to the start of the game.

So is it cheap? Or am I just imagining it?

Also, why isn't there more two handed sword like weapons in the game? You only have the Bumper Sword or the Shishkebab to choose from....

Yes chance's knife is pretty powerful but i wouldnt call it cheap. It all depends on your character and when you use it. Like your melee character, it will be very good in the early parts of the game but if your not too good of a melee character its value is less. Still low level enemies are easy to defeat and they not usually in big groups. If it feels too cheap, turn up the difficulty.

The Suave Gambler said:
Also, why isn't there more two handed sword like weapons in the game? You only have the Bumper Sword or the Shishkebab to choose from....

Maybe it's just me, but swords in a post-apocalyptic setting don't fit very well. Two is enough.

Would make a hell of a lot more sense if you could pair a sword with a riot shield or something like that to explain just how you're getting close enough to people with guns to make a sword worth having.

NemZ said:
Would make a hell of a lot more sense if you could pair a sword with a riot shield or something like that to explain just how you're getting close enough to people with guns to make a sword worth having.

I'd love this. That and duel wielding one handed melees.....Dammit I can't wait for Skyrim!

Bethesda may, as you've pointed out, include dual wielding in Fallout games to come, but I agree with Stanislao, swords do seem out of place. For example, look at Fallout 3 - Chinese swords everywhere, with no good explanation for it. Seems a bit over the top, doesn't it?

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a sword, real sword in game. Some ancient piece that's hundreds of years old, surviving post-apocalyptia is perhaps overdoing it, but can be an interesting concept, if done properly.
Also, a home made melee weapon, à la Book of Eli, could find its place in game.

Atomkilla said:
For example, look at Fallout 3 - Chinese swords everywhere, with no good explanation for it. Seems a bit over the top, doesn't it?

Have you forgotten there was a faction of Chinese ghouls in the game?

Atomkilla said:
Bethesda may, as you've pointed out, include dual wielding in Fallout games to come, but I agree with Stanislao, swords do seem out of place. For example, look at Fallout 3 - Chinese swords everywhere, with no good explanation for it. Seems a bit over the top, doesn't it?

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a sword, real sword in game. Some ancient peace that's hundreds of years old, surviving post-apocalyptia is perhaps overdoing it, but can be an interesting concept, if done properly.
Also, a home made melee weapon, à la Book of Eli, could find its place in game.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Something more along the lines of the Buster Sword than a chinese sword, but more....sentient and artistic. Maybe a sword thats somewhat of a multitool, similar to the machete, but longer. Or maybe perhaps a dress sword (something carried by at least one branch of nearly every military in the world today).

Have you forgotten there was a faction of Chinese ghouls in the game?

Yes. And now you have reminded how stupid the whole thing was.

As for the knife, well, unless you really know about it there is little chance (har har) you would find it. It's like going straight for the unique Gauss rifle or Jacobstown for Oh Baby!. Yes, it's a bit sheap, but you are the one who took it.

It's kinda cheap if I can get it easily. The problem is, Chance's Grave located in Cazador's nest. With some luck, the Cazador won't spawn, but most of the time, I prefer to avoid Tribal Village until I have some high DPS weapon.

On thing that I like about unique weapon in NV is they actually cared to at least change the appearances of the said weapon. F3 on the other hand, I can't differentiate the norm with the unique one.

quotetheraven90 said:
It's kinda cheap if I can get it easily. The problem is, Chance's Grave located in Cazador's nest. With some luck, the Cazador won't spawn, but most of the time, I prefer to avoid Tribal Village until I have some high DPS weapon.

On thing that I like about unique weapon in NV is they actually cared to at least change the appearances of the said weapon. F3 on the other hand, I can't differentiate the norm with the unique one.

From the place Ringo is, keep going left and then forward. Takes less than a minute, no Cazadores at all. Very easy. :)

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
The Suave Gambler said:

Maybe it's just me, but swords in a post-apocalyptic setting don't fit very well. Two is enough.

Yes, I don't like swords in a pos-apoc setting too, but I only relate Bump Sword to a sword because of the name.
It's a friggin' piece of a bumper of a car tied to the car exhaust pipe!
The same can be said of Lily "blade", reminds me everything, except a blade, it's a piece of the rotor tied to something.

As for Chance's Knife, I've never been able to get it at earlier levels, those Cazadors always spot me and I die. :lol:

As soon as I started the game as my melee character I went to Chance's grave, 20 dead couriers and reloads later I finally got my grubby mutated wasteland paws on it, 'still use it and I'm just about to fight Legate Lanius.

Prozel said:
quotetheraven90 said:

From the place Ringo is, keep going left and then forward. Takes less than a minute, no Cazadores at all. Very easy. :)
You're damn lucky. When I tried that road, a Cazador and 2 young one waiting for me at the end of the road (should listen to Victor). Hell, I even tried circling around the hill, and they're Deathclaw walking around! The devs...they really tried to stop me with everything they have.

Atomkilla said:
Doesn't really explain it, does it?

It explains where they came from, though not why they had them in the first place. still, better than nothing.

*snaps fingers*

EUREKA! I'VE GOT IT! A truck load of Chinese swords on its way to an unknown location was scattered across the D.C area when a nuclear bomb didn't detonate in mid-air, and thus concludes my 'Chinese sword' hypothesis.

Back