Critters you'd like to see, Pre-mutation. (pic thread)

aboniks

Still Mildly Glowing
I'm not much on illustration, so I figured it'd be better to go with the pre-mutation versions. If there's a creature you think would make a good mutant for a future fallout game, put up a picture and maybe a link to some info about it, or just your reason for wanting to see it in the game. Also, describe how it might mutate, if you're so inclined.

If you've got the skills (or just the motivation, a pencil, and a thick skin) show us what you think it might look like after it mutates.

Aye Aye

ayeaye2.jpg

Aye Aye

I think they'd make good mid-size (3' - 1 meter) intelligent critters. The wiki link has some data on the superstitions that currently surround them. There's an interesting set of possibilities, imo, for a quest line around a community 'plagued' by Aye Ayes. Could be cool.

Good material for morality play with an threatened species surviving the fall and going on to become sentient, yet still being under threat from humanity, deservedly or not. (maybe they really are pure evil?) They're reputed to be quite fearless when dealing with humans already, which could be turned around, perhaps, to indicate that they were sentient before the fall as well, but unable to communicate.

I think some kind of Mountain Lion, or Equine creature should show up eventually. I don't see why the Floaters haven't been brought back yet personally. Some kind of Spider should be thrown in as well. Van Buren was going to have a Radtoad in it, so why not do that too? I would like to see a Rhino Beetle, Centipede, or Rattlesnake too. I am not sure how well they could animate a large snakelike creature though....

Thank god they added the geckos back in. I missed those little bastards.

Re: Aye Aye

aboniks said:

Good material for morality play with an threatened species surviving the fall and going on to become sentient, yet still being under threat from humanity, deservedly or not. (maybe they really [i]are[/i] pure evil?) They're reputed to be quite fearless when dealing with humans already, which could be turned around, perhaps, to indicate that they were sentient before the fall as well, but unable to communicate.[/quote]

Yeah, this is like, some totally new concept really. *looks at deathclaws* - oh...

Re: Aye Aye

Surf Solar said:
Yeah, this is like, some totally new concept really. *looks at deathclaws* - oh...

I love that you're so cheerful and positive, Surf. It really brings a ray of sunshine to the forum. Excellent contribution to the thread, also; It never even occurred to me to add Oscar the Grouch to fallout.

TorontRayne said:
...Van Buren was going to have a Radtoad in it, so why not do that too? I would like to see a Rhino Beetle, Centipede...

All of those would be pretty cool. I like the rhino beetle idea especially.

streakedtenrec.jpg

Tenrec

wiki said:
...a streaked tenrec erects the barbed quills on its back and on the crest around its head, pointing them completely forward, and drives them in to the attacker's nose or paws with body and head movements...The nonbarbed quills are clustered in the middle of the back, and produce a faint chattering sound when vibrated, and are used to communicate within family groups.

Rather than a bog-standard porcupine, a large nasty version of something like this would be interesting.

I would like to see Armadillos, Opossums, and mutant Feral Hogs down south... RadHogZilla-Rex!

Since my Future Fallout FFO work has been centered in the north (around detroit) I have more northern animals in mind.

WPD

Oppen said:
StroHersh said:
I know cats went extinct in Falloutia
They didn't... In fact, in Fallout 2 you can talk to a girl about her kitten.

I looked it up and apparently it's just their extinct my New Vegas.

I completley blanked about Cuddles though.

StroHersh said:
I looked it up and apparently it's just their extinct my New Vegas.

EDIT: Also, The girl's cat is dead in Fallout 2, having been eaten. So yeah.
Did they said in New Vegas cats were extinct? When? Who?

The girl's cat wasn't the last cat alive, so being it dead doesn't mean they're extinct.

EDIT: Well, I checked, it's House who said it. But since he didn't know about the NCR until they got close to Vegas, I think it's unlikely he might know about something happening, e.g., in the south. I don't think he has enough data to conclude it. Thus, I don't think we have enough data to conclude it. What I mean is, even if they're not abundant in the places the previous games happened, we don't know of anyone who traveled across the whole country, leaving aside the whole world. There's no way to be sure cats are extinct, which leads to you having no problem to reintroduce cats and derived mutants into the story if the place is far enough than the known locations.

TorontRayne said:
Some kind of Spider should be thrown in as well.

This. I'd personally look forward to these, though on the other hand giant spiders are definitely a cliché in RPGs, so maybe not.

I'd just like to add that although there are many potential ideas, I don't think that adding a species that has evolved sentience and intelligence on par with humans is a good idea. Check Burrows, and you'll know what I mean.

However, my personal opinion is that adding species should vary on the location in which the game is set, so that we have mutated versions of area-specific species (such as RadCrocs and so on).

On the topic of cats, I'm pretty sure they're extinct, at least in US, just like horses. The girl in Den which tells you the story of her kitten is actually telling you the story of the last surviving domestic cat.
That doesn't mean that various sorts of wild cats didn't survive the War, or that domestic cats didn't survive in other parts of the world, or even US.

Atomkilla said:
TorontRayne said:
Some kind of Spider should be thrown in as well.

This. I'd personally look forward to these, though on the other hand giant spiders are definitely a cliché in RPGs, so maybe not.

My thoughts as well. Mirkwood anyone? That said, if they were done right, maybe it would be different.

Atomkilla said:
...I don't think that adding a species that has evolved sentience and intelligence on par with humans is a good idea. Check Burrows, and you'll know what I mean.

Lol @ Racoons of NIMH

I agreed that parallel evolution (ie. writing and speaking human languages) is a bad idea. It makes no sense whatsoever. Something more along the lines of a dolphins intelligence would be better. We can communicate with them in a rudimentary way, and they're clearly intelligent, but they aren't sapiens sapiens clones.

Atomkilla said:
However, my personal opinion is that adding species should vary on the location in which the game is set, so that we have mutated versions of area-specific species (such as RadCrocs and so on).

You'd need to start with a sizeable population, pre-fall, to end up with a stable mutated strain. Endemic species would definitely make more sense, unless you had a valid excuse for a captive population of whatever critter it was, or a critter that could migrate.

Atomkilla said:
On the topic of cats, I'm pretty sure they're extinct...

That bugged me. Anything that humanity could survive (short of a feline-specific disease) cats should have been able to survive easily. Feral cats are pretty thick on the ground across the US. There should have been a shitload of them in FO.

Spiders would be new to Fallout though. Who really enjoyed killing rats in Fallout 2? I would rather have spiders than rats and radroaches, at least next game anyway. I don't want to see Yao Gui's and Cazadores in Seattle or Detroit. Each area should have different critters in my opinion. I would expect to see possums, armadillos, and coyotes in Oklahoma, not Geckos and Yao Gui's. A mutated possum would be one ugly motherfucker. I can imagine little mutant ferrets stealing shit from wastelanders too. I have a ferret and she steals everything. Can you imagine a bunch of those mutated meerkat bastards throwing spears at you, and trying to steal your food!? Please bring horses into the game too. I'm not talking about a thousand horses running all over the countryside. I am talking about a horse being a status symbol, and only rich people having one. Surely other kinds of livestock and ranch animals survived like:

Hogs
Sheep
Goats
Chickens
Mules

What about turtles? What about birds? Would they have been butchered entirely, or killed by the cataclysm, or would it be logical to say some survived? Cougars and panthers are bad motherfuckers. Are you telling me coyotes survived but cougars didn't? It would make sense to see one eventually. I want to see a mutated version of a badger, wolverine, raccoon, and mountain lion. All of those animals possess unique attributes, and they are very common in the wild. It would be nice to see one or two of them in Fallout. If a game took place near the Great Lakes I could see all of those being in it. Can you imagine hunting a giant mutant wolverine in a blizzard near the Canadian border? I can!

One of these, about the size of a VW Bus.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wVFLucTks[/youtube]

Also:

733px-Toco_toucan_london.jpg

Toco Toucan

Interesting features:

"The bill has the ability to modify blood flow and so regulate heat distribution in the bird, allowing it to use its bill as a thermal radiator."
Take that to the extreme, use it as a weapon?

"In its native region, toucans are associated with evil spirits and are thought to be the incarnation of a demon."

Back