Cross platform fallout

Well, I'm not a programmer, as I mentioned above. I thought that you decompiled the engine and then modified it to compile it under Linux, doesn't it? :oops: I don't realize the process in fact.

First of all, it's really great to see a native version of one of my favorite games on Linux!

There seems to be a small problem with your port - the mouse pointer disappears after I move the mouse. I'm on Ubuntu 11.04 with the latest nvidia drivers, having 3 monitors (2 different VGAs - the fact that already caused many game-related problems) and with HWcursor disabled.

The mouse input is handled by SDL, in relative mode, so something must be preventing SDL from tracking the mouse movement properly. I lose the mouse pointer in a vm unless I turn mouse integration off, but that probably doesn't help much in this case. :|

I'm not sure what to do there, sorry. I don't know an awful lot about linux.

I was under the impression that the mouse works, but the pointer didn't get redrawn properly. Is there a way to verify this?

On the second thought, I believe that the amount of monitors may be at fault - I've had mouse problems with quake4 and some other games.

blaster999 said:
I was under the impression that the mouse works, but the pointer didn't get redrawn properly. Is there a way to verify this?
Try clicking on things? The buttons on the main menu are big enough that if you click around randomly you should be able to hit one. It's a shame there's no keyboard shortcuts for the load menu, because that would be an even bigger target.

I don't think that could happen though. There shouldn't be any way for the screen to be drawn without the cursor, because fallout renders the whole thing at once, and sends it to SDL as a single surface.

I tried clicking wildly with no result. Mouse pointer disappears right after I move the mouse even the tiniest bit.

Just a quick note that say that I now have a raspberry pi, and intend to restart this project sometime next year.

Alas, I may be a little too late to the party. Someone else already went and did it, and got rather further than I did. :p

Also: MacOS. (Once again, WINE is better, so don't expect that to see the light of day.)

wow, Timeslip, how did you manage to port Fallout to Mac and linux? Did you find its source code somewhere in the depths of internet?

From time to time I get urge to write a Fallout 1/2 engine port, like FIFE once aimed to do, but I wouldn't even know how to reverse engineer its data files.

Back