DarkFO Announcement

Human speed was always the problem and new engine won't make us mod harder.

part of the idea is to make modding easier, thus the same amount of effort spend on modding would produce better results.

Deffinitely. Whole entire things I've been wanting to do for ages would be easier not only to do but organize people with different skills to help do if it was easier. No joke.

I'll doubt it will drag more people to Fallout modding, though. The folks who started a Fallout mod but quit shortly due to the modding not being easy as pie certainly wouldn't finish the same thing in a easy-to-use engine either.

Ultimately I'd say that modding Fallout is already easier compared to other old games (if you stay within the engine limitations). You just have to read lots of stuff and get experience with it (which imo is the problem with most people - not interested in studying by themself + unable to stay motivated over a longer time period). As soon as you are over the first steps, you are already able to create a total conversion mod, if desired.

Did you consider using node-webkit? From your description it seems like user will be running the html5 game from desktop anyway.

Last edited:
Did you consider using node-webkit? From your description it seems like user will be running the html5 game from desktop anyway.

Yeah, that will be something to look into when I want to package it up. I hope it's fine keeping a bunch of things in cache memory.

By the way, random encounters suck. :lol: Nobody happens to have secret documentation on the less touched parts of Fallout 2, do they, so I'm not just duplicating effort here?

Hey all, just wanted to pop in to give an update.

After a while of not working on DarkFO I returned to massively clean up the code and start doing some other stuff.
Right now I'm mainly just reverse engineering stuff and performing more cleanups, getting everything shuffled around.
There is one major new feature I neglected to mention, which is the implementation of the world map and random encounters!

As a reminder, I do have a dev blog where I post occasional updates: http://darkf.github.io
If you're interested in the technical side of FO2 at all, I do delve into some of that.

Have any suggestions as to what I should work on next? What's your favorite feature of FO2? Favorite map? Favorite quest? Favorite bug? Let me know!

Welp, after a good ~2 months of work, I managed to reverse engineer, implement and debug the floor light drawing in FO2!

http://i.imgur.com/8vQmJf4.png

It's pretty convoluted, and I still need to generate the lightmap (currently I just dump it from memory; but it doesn't look grossly complicated, and other people are working on it.)

Rejoice, for there are people in this world who know how this dark blood magic works!

I have a petition to new engines writers: can you fix that AWFUL highlight "feature" on scenery objects (walls, etc.)? I don't need to explain how "interactive dancing walls" work, I think.

Quick viz:

scr00000.gif

Make area of light that is visible on tiles going over scenery too + disable per FRM highlight on them. And keep 8bits, please - it's a part of the style of Fallout.

PS: I realize that new highlight feature could be added in > 1.0 version of engine.

Last edited:
I have a petition to new engines writers: can you fix that AWFUL highlight "feature" on scenery objects (walls, etc.)? I don't need to explain how "interactive dancing walls" work, I think.

Quick viz:

View attachment 1451

Make area of light that is visible on tiles going over scenery too + disable per FRM highlight on them. And keep 8bits, please - it's a part of the style of Fallout.

PS: I realize that new highlight feature could be added in > 1.0 version of engine.

Not really sure what you're suggesting here. What are "interactive dancing walls", and by highlight do you mean them being being lit while you're standing near them? Image just looks like a haze of fog to me. :D

Well, that was almost easier than I thought: I implemented basic a lightmap generator (the only thing missing is objects being able to block light, which won't be hard, just an hour of tediousness.)
Although, well, I can't speak for the quality of the code at this point. :)

http://i.imgur.com/HECGSxB.png

Funky, just like the original! Well, I never thought I'd do it, but after a couple of months, DarkFO now has vanilla lighting! Well, sans object lighting: but that should be trivial.

Not really sure what you're suggesting here. What are "interactive dancing walls"
Walk/run/whatever along walls, and you'll get similar effect to this. But instead of floor, you're getting "interactive dancing walls", which looks simply awful + it's not consistent with how tiles are highlighted/lit/whatever - area with fade vs. per FRM, where distance to its blocking hex triggers, and determines lit/highlight/whatever intensity of whole FRM.

and by highlight do you mean them being being lit while you're standing near them?
Yes. Also, it's not about player only - it's about all kinds of lights.

Image just looks like a haze of fog to me.
icon_biggrin.gif
I made it intentional to show area with fade over the walls - something I'm talking about. Here's more "natural" visualization:

scr00001.gif

In other words: lit/highlight/whatever walls/scenery in the same way as tiles.

Last edited:
I think he wants to make walls and scenery to be affected by lighting gradually, like floor tiles. Good idea for after 1.0 feature, I really hate how lighting affect walls myself :)

Back