Dear Leader - has died

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Starseeker, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Starseeker

Starseeker Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 25, 2003
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, 69, has died

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-57344889/north-korean-leader-kim-jong-il-69-has-died/

As for the guy that will take over a country at the young age of 27:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Young+general+seen+poised+take+over+North+Korea/5879997/story.html

Well, that came out a bit out of the blue, and I can imagine the disruption and scrambling this has caused Jong-Il has planned for his son. He does have 2 older brothers and his mother's legitimacy might be in question. Well, if the reports are true, then he should be thankful that she died thus leaving him with a clean slate. His 2 older brothers were reportedly exiled as soon as they were proven not worthy of the throne. This young leader's road to succession might not be an easy one, however, since he has barely spent 2 years on the job while his dad has a lot of help from his much beloved grandfather. I can't remember exactly, but apparently either his older sister or his aunt and her husband was deemed trustworthy enough to support the young Kim in the transition. But there is now a huge problem with that plan, since if anyone ever studied Chinese history will know, sharing of power in a dictatorship usually leads to conflicts, and a power struggle in a nation with nuclear weapons will at least makes things spicy.

2. Sabirah

Sabirah Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 10, 2011
    I hate to say it, but good. Him and my Uncle Jamal are the only people who i can call genuinely evil without reprieve. Let's just hope that his son is more open to democracy.

3. Stoatblood

Stoatblood First time out of the vault

Dec 18, 2011
    Booyah!

4. TorontoReign

TorontoReign ⛧卐⛧ Staff Member Moderator [REDACTED]

Apr 1, 2005
    Wonder if his 27 year old son is ready to lead?

5. Starseeker

Starseeker Vault Senior Citizen

Jul 25, 2003
    I have some reservations about writing this, but I posted it anyway since I already wrote it.

Evil, huh? I am not one to defend crazy dictators, so don't take this the wrong way, but compare to who? In terms of blood on his hands and the level of disasters he caused for personal glory, Mao can beat him on both levels. The Great Leap Forward killed more people than possibly the entire population of North Korea. The Cultural Revolution of demolishing the old and replace with the new brainwashed an entire generation of mainland Chinese citizens. What about the fact that he is dining on French wine and lobster while his citizens are starving to death? Well, officially, China just raised its level of absolute poverty more in line with UN standards, meaning, if you were dirt poor before, you are now dirt dirt poor and possibly deserving some aid. The official Chinese number of people having less than $1.25 purchasing power a day is now at 126 million, and meanwhile, malls in Beijing are getting flagship first tier luxury stores like Dunhill, Tiffany, Gucci, LV and etc. Porshe, Ferrari, Benz and Audi are doing brisk business here.

My point is, maybe I am ill-informed or I just haven't seen that many books, movies or tv shows on it, but I just don't see much of anything that deals with Mao the same way Kim has been depicted. I am not excusing what he has done, nor do I think he isn't a megalomaniac jackarse that thinks he is the country itself. Maybe my reaction to your comment stems from watching the CNN anchors cracking jokes about him just made rolled my eyes in response since I doubt he had the balls to do the same thing to PRC leaders. Western media sure likes to toe the official and paint Kim as a figure of absolute evil, but this is hypocritical considering that they are sure eager to suck up to another regime that isn't much better, but maybe worse. I mean, one really doesn't see Mao in South Park or World Police, but I would contend that Mao is just as evil if not more so in comparison of deeds to Kim or Saddam.

Anyway, I am probably just doing this.
    :falloutonline: :shrug:

6. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Well, he died relatively...young.
    I wonder how Kim Jong-un will fill his shoes. This is really big.

7. Loxley

Loxley Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 11, 2003
    The son looks kinda fat and probably got diabetes like his dad. time will tell however.

8. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    His son isn't going to lead, the military is. As long as the generals are in control, there's no hope for any democratic reforms.

9. Loxley

Loxley Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 11, 2003
    Generals are old too.

10. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Shock horror today as a demigod dies without warning, more nukes at eleven.
    :V

The Generals are usually seen as slightly less insane than ol' Kimmy though so them in control might mean slightly less posturing at Japan and S Korea.

11. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
  12. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm pretty sure Americans killed him.
    They've pulled all their troops out of Iraq, so it's obvious that they're preparing an assault at Pyongyang while the country is in state of distraught.

13. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    Only oil producing nations get the democracy treatment.

I'm sure the golf world mourns this loss heavily:
    He was the best golfer the world has ever seen
    Yeah, that guy's way too well-nourished to be N. Korean.

14. Sabirah

Jul 10, 2011

But mao has been dead for years and his terrible actions haven't really reverberated until today.

Uncle Jamal and Kim Jong-Il both are and were until very recently (unfortunately) alive. and the actions that they did still hurt people today.

15. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    So.... how many of us here have actually been to North Korea as opposed to just parroting what we hear on the news?

16. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite Board Cop oTO

Jul 26, 2003
    Well, pssssh, we all know they're actually a Utopian super-paradise where everyone is free to seek their own dream and rivers of milk and honey flow through the streets, but the hateful lies about rampant poverty and oppression propagated by the UN, several watchdog groups, videos smuggled out of the country, and the testimony of all those refugees and asylum-seekers are just so much easier to joke about.

17. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Seeing how we are talking about a country with a closed border and a media blackout, I hardly see how that could be possible unless one is some kind of uber-spy. Not to mention the whole dynasty of dictatorship thingy that's kinda hard for the oh so evil media to invent.

So what's your point, exactly?

18. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Antediluvian as Feck
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Actually you can tour North Korea if you belong to a special tour group...of course half the people on the tour will be North Korean spies, and you can't just go where ever you like, or photograph certain things, such as dying peasants.

19. Sabirah

Jul 10, 2011

NMA roadtrip ?

:lol: I'd be down for that, we could make a documentery

20. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    ...Which is called a closed border (ever looked at the DMZ?) and a media blackout. Even the tours are specifically designed to make you see good things. Go to places they don't want you to, political officiers are immediately on your ass. Now if North Korea (apparently) isin't so bad, why is that?