Digital cameras

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by FeelTheRads, May 9, 2007.

1. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    First of all, what reliable sites with digital cameras reviews are there?

Second, what are the general opinions on Samsung cameras?
    I was thinking of getting an S600 or a Cyber630. These two have 6 megapixels and are about the same price as a Canon (forgot the model) with 5 megapixels, and also have as bonus a recharger and rechargeable batteries... but I don't know if they're worth it.
    I don't want to fall for the "bonus = better" trick.

2. babadook

babadook Legislative Senator oTO Orderite

Apr 2, 2005
    The Fujifilm FinePix F30 seems to be getting some fine reviews these days.

6,3 megapixels
    2,5 inch display
    usb 2.0
    Stop time: 15 - 0,0005 s

~$294

3. Angrim

Angrim Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 27, 2004
    Just keep in mind that mega pixels don't mean jack shit for majority of the photographers. Sure, the actual digital photo is bigger in pixels and file size and so on, but this actually affects just when you are doing helluva big prints of the digitals photos... I have a 3.2 mega pixel Canon PowerShot and I am happy with it. I am not going to print images that are bigger than A4 paper.

For me, the notable things that matters in digital cameras are A) it's sturdy enough not to shake when I'm trying to take photo and B) the optics are good quality

4. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    http://dpreview.com/ was where I got all my information on cameras. Their reviews are real indepth and tell you far more than you'd ever care to hear.

5. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    Good optics and physical size of the CCD sensor play a crucial role over number of MP, also a wide range of aperture and ISO sensivity. Bought today Canon A610 for ~180$ and it is really good choice

6. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Yeah, I kinda figured that megapixels are kind of a marketing gimmick. Much like the bonus one.

So I went ninja style and bought a Canon A430 with 4megapixels, a recharger, 2700mAh batteries (how long does it take to charge these motherfuckers?!) and a 2GB memory card for a very nice price.

7. 10mmCurator

10mmCurator Mildly Dipped

Jan 23, 2007
    Was looking at cameras a while back but then I asked my Uncle who's a pro photog... Did his own Ansel Adams style stuff he said that Nikon and Minolta will always beat the crap out of any other brand even for digital cameras... So my advice... Save up 3k and spring for one.