Fallout 2 mod Do you have to manually edit every single sprite when modding critters?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by ebee1, Sep 3, 2021.

1. ebee1

ebee1 First time out of the vault

Sep 3, 2021
    As title says or i guess more accuratley, every sprite frame as its own file? I'm new to modding fallout and was wanting to make some basic edits to the combat armor. I'm using FRM editor and as far as I can tell it exports every frame as its own BMP. Is there a more efficient way to go about this?

2. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yes, that's how 2d animations work. There is some tool for automatic recoloring of everything, but in my experience the results are most of the time just bad.

3. ebee1

ebee1 First time out of the vault

Sep 3, 2021
    I've edited sprites of more recent games but all the frames of movement are on the same file though. This seems to require that you export each individual frame as it's own file. is there some like animation software you can use to edit it without having to open and close every single file individually? I know you have to edit the frames manually, but surely there's a quicker way than opening each individual file, making an edit, saving, opening the next file etc. (I've only ever really worked with photoshop and never really anything terribly complicated with it at that)

4. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    use titanium frm browser for export animation. HASROBFA-3.gif
    but at the end of the coloring, you will need to cut it into separate frames using photoshop actions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  5. QuantumApprentice

QuantumApprentice Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Feb 9, 2018
    You can export the file as a gif using Titanium as mentioned above, and you can import the gif into just about any competent image editing software and edit the individual frames.
    Photoshop will work, but so will gimp, which is free :)

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. QuantumApprentice

QuantumApprentice Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Feb 9, 2018
    Alternatively, if you wanted to make new critters you could follow this blender tutorial:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2