Dust 514, Defiance, & Destiny

Ghost Machine

First time out of the vault
Never played these games before. But I have known about them for quite a while now. All I know about them is that their all in their beta stages and that Dust 514 is supposed to be gameplay and in-game connected with it's PC counterpart, Eve Online. As for Defiance, there's a tv show for it, although I've never seen it though. Destiny, Bungie's new game, is supposed to be similarly based off the template of the previously mentioned two games and is the first game made by Bungie to be released on multiple consoles. Correct me if Im wrong.

I don't know about you guys, but this new 'trend' of MMO-styled FPS games sound like something new to digest and enjoy. Anyone else primed for these games?

From what little I know of Dust, for the MMO cross over you have to have some one call in a ground strike. You can't just park your self in orbit and exterminatus the place.

Defiance is going to be pretty bad, I'm sure, just because it's a tie-in with a show (and a Syfy show at that).

Destiny I'm not sure about. On the one hand, it sounds intriguing. On the other hand, this is the new Bungie (i.e., not the Bungie that made the original Halo, Marathon, Pathways Into Darkness). The only games they've made are Halos 2 and 3, which didn't measure up to the original in terms of level design, story, characters, etc. and so on. The multiplayer was decent enough though.

Yeah, I'll need to see Destiny some before I really give a voice to it, and see who they're working with over it. And how close it is to release. Halo changed a lot from the time of the Cortana Letters to any actual information (Macworld '99 I think) and the actual game itself. It was supposed to be another real time-tactics type game like Myth back in the day, and/or a third person shooter/actiony game AND had dinosaurs. In the end a lot ended up changing. Hopefully they'll get to stick to their vision and not end up getting pressured for an early release by the publisher. (See Halo 2). Likewise they'll keep some focus on the single player aspect of the game and not the multiplayer aspect of the game, too. That seems to have adversely affect the halo games the most.

I've been meaning to try out Dust 514, but barring the ability to pull some EVE esque shenanigans I won't be too interested.

I have Defiance and it's pretty fun but needs more content and lacks the community of other mmos where people just sit around and chat and group up but I feel it's a result of it being on 360 and most on consoles are not the ones playing mmos but are the shit talking t-bagging types. Also they need to add an auction house.

yea, i have defiance too

1) its not a gear based game. as in it doesnt level with you. a vbi tacc autopistol you get at ego 6 will have the same damage/stats as an ego 1000 vbi tacc autopistol.

it makes balancing PvP much easier by using this method.

2) the hackers have already made their inroads so at the moment PvP can be hit or miss. and this includes the consoles.

3) there is not a lot of content. the original idea was that as the story on the show unfolded, they would open more content.

unfortunately due to the bugs and exploits that have surfaced, that had to go on the back burner. and im not really sure the more content was in more areas or such either.

4) it is a TPS, third person-shooter.

overall i would say, give it some time to settle before you pick it up.

unless you are really interested.

they have had their typical "mmo" launch issues. the severity of which is puzzling considering this is not their first game, but is quite consistent with online games. no matter what the forums say.

I've been playing Dust lately, its pretty good.. i do get some lag now and then, but the game play is pretty solid! Before playing it i would suggest you get some friends to play with you, as the community isn't very responsive in chat and or voice chat. I would def recommend it, since its going to be free.. but its nothing i would bend over backwards to get my hands on.

I am really looking forward to destiny however, i absolutely love Bungie, ever since the Halo games came out. However it troubles me that so little has been released about the game, besides a few screenshot and concept art, and a few basic game play, videos (walking around here and there) I am really hoping they release some sort of combat demo, where we can see the main game mechanics. I trust Bungie to deliver so im looking forward to it.

Defiance.. Defiance was a let down.. i got it day one, because i was doing a review of it for Iconik Gaming... and the damn servers were down for a couple days, and the game wouldn't update... it would be nearly finished updating and then would close out the screen.. (like WTF). However the game does have the borderlands jive and feel to it as you are mostly running/driving around, looting and doing fetch quests yet with none of the funny quirky dialogue and quality game play.

But back to your point, yes im really excited to see the whole MMO scene coming to consoles, it is a welcome edition to my upcoming gaming collection. I used to play Guild Wars so i was always in love with online gaming, and now that i can play this kind of stuff on my console is even better.

Well, seeing as how the reviews have came in and how they present themselves, I think I'll narrow myself down to Dust and Destiny for now. Defiance can wait (Hopefully). If all else fails and Defiance doesn't get it's shit together, then I'll anticipate for Destiny.

I have yet to try Dust yet. Sorry guys, I got it downloaded on my PS3. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to install it yet. Memory storage issues. Might have to buy a thumb-drive soon. Hopefully not, but time and analysis will tell. I'm hearing good things about it, so I can't wait to try it out. :D

Pubbies don't chat in dust between A) no one uses team chat because i want to talk to my squad and friends, not you fucking pubbie shitlords B) you're a fucking stranger and I'm not interested in talking to you and C) dust is buggy as fuck (CCP) and voice chat bugs out on changing voice channels regularly and fixing it takes the back burner to playing the fucking game.

To play dust, much like EVE you need this:

A good, non faggoty corp to provide knowledge and comrades to shoot mans with
the capability to not be fucking stupid
not playing ambush
really not playing ambush that shit is atrocious
the willingness to sit the fuck down and learn how to play the fucking game this shit isn't call of duty.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2pence about Defiance game and show. I think the first series was quite watchable on bluray and it did get renewed for second series.

I am weirdly enough enjoying the PC Defiance a lot, the console versions look a lot worse obviously. So far Im EG0 400 and not hit any bugs, I've been out damaging far higher EGO rating players so my aim/crit hits seem to matter far more than 'gear'. If you're hankering for a game when you just explore, blow stuff up and ride vehicles like a loon [yep there's a 'madmax' car] then go for it. I got it for £6 on steam. If you want RPG multiple paths kind of thing in plot, forget it.

i am at over 2k ego

weapons dont scale, as you go up in ego you unlock other weapons, but i think by the time you hit 500 ego you have all weapons base unlocked.

and then by the time you hit 2k ego all bonuses/mods are unlocked.

it is probably my average weekly most played game. i like it for some reason even though i recognize the game has some pretty serious flaws and design/mechanics i do not like at all.

yet i keep playing it.

As for Dust 514 the beta is over, and after getting a chance to play I can say it's a lot better than it was

Back