ED-E no longer following me (possible mini-spoiler)

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Gameplay & Tech' started by TwinkieGorilla, Oct 27, 2010.

1. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    wtf.

This is post-upgrade at Hidden Valley. I've tried telling him to wait, then follow. I've tried firing and re-hiring. I've tried entering and exiting buildings (he'll show up inside but not follow).

again...wtf.

:scratch:

2. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    What if you fire him, jump to some far away place, wait 24 hours and go back to him?

3. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    dunno.

I actually got him to follow me after exiting a building but he eventually disappeared again. GODDAMMIT FUCK.

4. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, disappearing companions is really a pain in the arse. The game should spawn followers always right near you, if you reloaded a savegame + didn't told them to wait. This way this problem could be pretty simple workarounded..

5. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Blah, got a similar problem now. I needed to send Arcade home for a while, so I can do Cass' quests. Now I am done with Cass' quest and wanted to pick up Arcade again, but... there is no dialogue option for that. I can ask him what he thinks about the current situation and say bye, but nothing more.

Someone knows if that is possible to fix? I don't want anyone else than Arcade.

/Edit: Bleh, solved it. Looks like Arcade doesn't like mechanical companions. I had to kick out Rex in order to get the dialog option for Arcade again. After I picked him up, I took Rex again.

Feels like a bug in the way it is done...

6. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I think when you tell a follower to wait, the game takes the command too seriously... they'll wait at a location forever, and if you forget about them, too bad. Followers should be smart enough to bring them back in follow mode once you've, say, fast traveled away, or a certain amount of time passes. I'm not 100% sure, but it also seems like they can be left behind somewhere if you get too far ahead of them, and it'll take days before they get back to you. ED-E in particular seems guilty of disappearing at random.

Just to confirm, is your follow distance set to close or far? If it's set to far, sometimes you have to actually walk a good 20ish metres before your companion starts to follow.

7. 13pm

13pm Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 10, 2007
    He seems to be heavily bugged.

I've finished his quest long before I visited remnants bunker and there he's got broken. I've tried not taking him there, just sent him to Lucky 38, but he eventually died near the entrance to the Strip.
    Tried other things, but in my walkthrough he seems to become broken by the endgame :(

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Hmm, he joined me when I had Rex. I heard he hates ED-E though...

But yeah, I constantly had disappearing companion problems on my first playthrough, so I suggest everyone to write down companions' <prid> as soon as you hire them, just in case. Second playthrough, though, so far so good, nobody disappearing.

9. vanzizzle

vanzizzle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 15, 2010
    I've had no problem with ED-E, just didn't upgrade. Only thing he's useful for anyway is being a pack brahmin, high perception and fun battle music. Only time any companion ever stopped following for me was when I entered Lucky 38.