Resource icon

Fallout 2 utility Fallout 1/2 Critters Editor v.1.4.6.11

I'm going to work on editor and improve it. Thanks to all for sugestions, and bugs report :)

Looks like it's still not possible to edit ID (short number) or PID (16777xxx), is that intended? I still have to use a hex editor for those.

I think I figured out what is causing the red fields on some critters, I think it's due to the action flags being set (offset 0x0018), and/or Poison Resistance being set.

Any chance we'll be able to edit Kill Type at some point through this editor?

Also it would be awesome if we could set flags through the editor:
https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/PRO_File_Format
0x00000002 - Barter (can trade with)
0x00000020 - Steal (cannot steal from)
0x00000040 - Drop (doesn't drop items)
0x00000080 - Limbs (can not lose limbs)
0x00000100 - Ages (dead body does not disappear)
0x00000200 - Heal (damage is not cured with time)
0x00000400 - Invulnerable (cannot be hurt)
0x00000800 - Flatten (leaves no dead body)
0x00001000 - Special (there is a special type of death)
0x00002000 - Range (melee attack is possible at a distance)
0x00004000 - Knock (cannot be knocked down)

Last edited:
@Sduibek
You can edit ID number. The save button doesn't get activated by typing in the 'ID number' field, so you have add and remove a number for one of the stats first.

Originally, this editor was supposed to be a simple editor for changing some basic parameters. Therefore, it is not a full NPC editor. However, I will implement most important fields, you need.
It is possible to implement every fields, but this takes much time. That's why I focus on most important ones. At least now.

Originally, this editor was supposed to be a simple editor for changing some basic parameters. Therefore, it is not a full NPC editor. However, I will implement most important fields, you need.
It is possible to implement every fields, but this takes much time. That's why I focus on most important ones. At least now.
You're awesome, thank you so much !!!

Great improvement all around :ok: I really like 1.4.5.10.

There is just a minor error (I though I checked it all, sorry)

But for FO1 pro files, First Aid is calculated as: 30 + (PE + IN) as it says in the skill description on the character screen.

However, that in-game description is a typo. The actual calculation the game uses for First Aid is: 30 + ((PE + IN)/2).

I launched Fallout1 and tested FirstAid and other skills.
It looks that only FirstAid was bugged:
First Aid is: 30% + (IN+PE)/2

This formula (like other) is good for normal game difficulty.

Hello Cubik2k. I have a question are You the same guy asociated with modding site "Fallout Modding Centre"? Chances are slim that you aren't since You gave out your nationality :p .

So if You're that same guy, do you have files from the download section of FMC? since the site is down and I can't acces most of them anymore. and internet archive sites only show really old versions of the site. Some downloads are present however they're missing the more recent file i was looking for: the patch for perk every "X" levels for Fallout 1 that was present few years ago on FMC.

In case You've lost acces to most of the files i can say I found your patch that changes game starting point on world map for Fo2. 17/59 on virustolal and only symantec flagged it out of the important ones. Emsisoft, Kaspersky,Eset32,Ad-Aware,Bitdefender etc did not flag it, so I think it might be false positive provided by heurestics.

However in case You have acces to all the files, or contact with Silencer/Jargo please give acces to those utilities at least for Dobrovik's archive if not for the wellbeeing of Fallout comunity.

If File mentioned by me is dangerously infected it can be sliced by somebody with IDA compiler and the comunity will prosper from it by somebody making a clean tool.

Please say something
Regards

Hello Cubik2k. I have a question are You the same guy asociated with modding site "Fallout Modding Centre"? Chances are slim that you aren't since You gave out your nationality :p .
I had no idea that website existed. Too bad you've said it is dead.

I had no idea that website existed. Too bad you've said it is dead.

@naossano No wonder You did not knew, as it wasn't an english modding site, nor was it written in english. According to web.archive.org i found traces of it back at 2001 it contained shitload of Fallout modding tools from around the world US RUS, and Cubick's and his own country folks too had some tools made and they were all stashed there. It also contained detalied instructions and tutirials for FSE and generall script writing guides and tuts in Cubik's native language. It existed under 3 different adresses and 2 layouts over the course of 2001 to 2012 which was the last year it functioned under that adress. Later on it seemes the site was taken down, and some tools are not even obtainable, as web.archive.org did not archive the downloads from the last adress of the site. I only found Cubik's tool to change starting Worldmap location for Fallout 2 from first adress, it appeared on the site's download around 2005. Perhaps If Cubik agrees someone could dissisect the file in "Hex Rays IDA Decompiler" which as it seemes generates C code instead of usual assember language so that Fo2 mods from that point onward could change starting location. I think this feat was not achievable at least not in 1.5 Ressurection and perhaps in Nevada as well..

However the Fallout 1 Perk Cheat v1.0 and Fallout 1/2 Perk Cheat v1.1 by darkman were lost so the only hope of ever retriving those to the comunity would be get them from somebody who has the achive offline.

All Perk Cheat did was to patch Fallout 1 or Fallout 2 exe in order to have perk gain every "X" levels where "X" was a customizable number. For Fo2 this is not so important anymore since it can already be remedied by global scripts, However this is a major loss for Fo1 engine. At least Crafty could do something with that knowledge for Sfall1.

Yes, I am this Cubik from Fallout Modding Centre. Site is dead, because ineteresting in modding Fallout was dead. And site was attacked few times by hackers. Old one, and next site's.
I have probably all stuff from old FMC, and form next sites named new FMC etc.
I try one day upload ths stuff to some server and I share all files I have on my PC.
The program for change start location has not any virus. This is, because program make changes in *.exe file and antyvir thinks that this is some kind virus.
I have engine files of first old site FMC, where Jargo was main author of news and articles, but it is very poor saved again hackers. If someone would like, I can share those site files.

@Cubik2k
Well then.. I already unpacked the wprldmap starter from web.archive.org and only symantec and wew other flag it on virustotal. Bitdefender quarantined it when i launched it but I temporarily added it to exceptions and it unpacked. the new file seemes to work and is only flaggd 2/56 with symantec based on reputation and 1 other this time a no name brand. so as I said eariler it seemes legit. it's probably related to unique unpacking program.

I heavily think this piece of software is one of missing puzzle pieces for @Sduibek 's Fo1 to Fo2 engine conversion. i think You two have to have a chat about those stashed Fallout tools.

on a side note:

Fallout modding ain't popular in "ŹĄ's" land because rarely who knows anything about modding. I know it may look easy for somebody skilled in programing, however for the rest of us it's arcane knowledge.

Fallout modding certainly ain't dead around here as you see, and over our eastern border too Fo:Sonora or Fo1=>Fo2 would certainly apreciate some unique tools You, Jargo and others have provided. Unfortuneatly some tools on teamx.ru are flagged, hence most antiviruses ban acces to this site, and some tools such as F.U.C.K or fallout utility for critter tinkering You had on fmc.prv.pl indeed *are* infected. and Your download section had a couple of their stuff too so I woudn't be suprised if one of those had a trojan and You got on the bad end of it :( . Anyways I'd suggest to contact Dobrovik and let him upload the clean stuff to his vault archive *or* simply make a google accout 7zip everything and upload everything to google drive. it's that easy.You already Should have a google accout if You have a smartphone with android (quoting a guy from blizzcon2018 ".. don't you guys have phones?!.. ;p )

Meanwhile can you attach Fallout Perk Cheat v1.0 and Fallout 1/2 Perk Cheat v1.1 by darkman from your archive to your next post? as they haven't been archived by web.archive.org , and hence vanished from the internet the moment the http://www.newfmc.prv.pl/ site went down.

Here's a proof it once was on the net:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120412204135/http://www.newfmc.prv.pl/
go to: Download=>Cheaty

it clearly states the last 2 downloads were there, and I once had them only i was a rookie back then and when my pc went down on me I formated the drive in a new one (had faulty RAM back there -motherboard's capacitor's fault- few times USB mass zaped me with voltage like 200V and so RAM fried).

Sorry for the wall of text.

EDIT:

Come to think of it @Sduibek would be most happy about that windows GUI for DAT2 maker/unpacker from Jargo if He hasn't got that already.

Last edited:
GUI for DAT2 has already been available on TeamX site and Drobovik's Fallout archive.

well ok.. but @NovaRain I'm pretty sure You'd love to get your hands on those perk cheat programs dissect them and make sfall feast&improove upon them.

And yes I also noticed that worldmap starting point setting is present in ddraw.ini as well, so i guess using a program for it is merly a convinience.

But maybe those perk cheats could yeald a new triad that would replace SexAppeal (which in my opinion is only for a woman character), a triat like FearTheReaper for ghouls from fallout tactics could be implemented if sfall adopts changes from perk cheat patches. now that itself would call for a fallout 2 replay. Triat every two levels and a potential source of dangerous damage that forces you to eat away your medicine when happening in an unwanted moment as levels in Fo2 tend to come at random places (for example in a middle of a deathclaw cave run) not like in fallout tactics where xp was calculated so that the levelup comes after the mission.

I collected all AA frms of mods (when I set up a folder for ProtoManagers to read). Perhaps this can be helpful: http://www.filedropper.com/aafrms
There are several copies of the same frm, and sometimes the copies are named differently, and sometimes (worst case) the frm has the same name as another but is actually different (headache). I added a spreadsheet listing all frms and added notes when a frm is a copy or not.
Anyway, perhaps FO12_critters_editor_1.4.6.11 can eventually add a second folder with new frms to be used with mods?
Although it may prove tricky, considering that mods are not standardized. Perhaps this can be mended with a system that reads the frm name and then translates it to a default version? Like GlCmbt would link to NmCaCa (or better, a more standardized name like NmCmbt/NmCmb2 or NmBaCb, i.e. “NPCMaleBaldCombatArmour”). Not sure how feasible any of this is. Still, I thought it would be cool to have at least a set of assembled and sorted AA frms.

Otherwise, while F2wedit is very stable, Fo12_critters, though improved, is still a bit twitchy.

- First, I usually can scroll all to the bottom in the left list, but the bottom of the list seems to be outside the window and can't be displayed. So I can select the entries (arrow keys) but I can't see them.

- When I tried to display critter files from Fo Resurrection the Crit Chance display bugged out. For example: 771, 769, 836, 837, 838, 839, 805, 829 (the total shows more than the base is (aka LK), as if it's adding a bonus that doesn't exist). Normally I can reset the value by scrolling on & off the entry but not always. Second, it won't show the “name” of 832 (also the number is 831?). And some trigger an error “integer value” (like 512, 520 or 525), once when clicking on the entry (and again when clicking on another). Not sure where the error is (FoRes or editor) but ProtoManager 1.1.4 has no issues with FoRes (except the name of 832). (link: here are the fores critter files I used with Fo12_critters: http://www.filedropper.com/fo2fores15critter
And here is the set to be used with ProtoManager: http://www.filedropper.com/fores15proto (it only needs to add a Fo2 master.dat and critter.dat).
I had that “integer value” also with MegaMod (540 & 662 to 666) and RP (508 to 512). In both cases it's Kitsune (?). Not sure why it triggers, however, it is not crashing anything, it just interrupts the browsing.

Anyway, it would be cool if the Crit chance and scrolling issue could be fixed.

EDIT/Addition:
Using the critters_editor with the FoRes files has also issues with AC (similar to Crit Chance). For example, 594 has 4 AC (in ProtoManager 1.1.4 it's 8, same as AG), 652 has 8 (ProtoM: 4, same as AG), 651 has 20 (ProtoM: 7, same as AG), 555 has 30 (ProtoM: 9, same as AG), 557 has 25 (ProtoM: 8, same as AG). And, tbh, in this case I'm not sure which one is displaying it wrongly. It may be that there is a bonus that ProtoManager fails to read. (while FO12_critters_editor_1.4.6.11 only fails to display it.)

Last edited:
Honestly i think the most useful edits would be critters appearance and their equipment... It doesn't seem to exist a tool that can do that so far.

The tool exists and it's called photoshop / gimp / any other image editor. :D

That's not even how they themselves did it though. They used Lightwave, I believe; exporting 2d rendered sprites from the 3d animated models.

The tool is Blender, but the prep-work to be able to use it for that hasn't been done, or hasn't been made public yet.

As soon as —someone— uploads a scene with the proper camera rig, and with at least basic human and quadruped skeletal animations, then average Blender users will be able to export new animation sets; (by applying these to custom low polly models).

It'd be nice to have a native Blender addon to export FRMs.

I remember all of the crazy hoops we went through modding Legend of Grimrock, before a member named Bitcopy coded a native mesh model & animation import/exporter addon for Blender... Then modders could load, modify, and save native game files; it was awesome.

ogre_dancing_adj2.gif

*Animation by Skuggasveinn

Last edited:
Back