Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics return to GOG

Kilus

Not Australian
Orderite
At the end of 2013 the rights to publish Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics changed hands from Interplay to Bethesda. At that time the titles were pulled from Steam and GOG. In June of 2014 all three games returned to Steam but were absent from GOG. This disappointed many fans of GOG as Fallout was hosted there for over 5 years with all the extra content and configuration GOG provides. Until now Bethesda has not supported GOG as a digital distribution service and many were doubtful(myself included) if GOG would ever sell Fallout again. However GOG is full of Polish tenacity with the will to hunt down publishers and developers for the right to digitally distribute games and they have finally convinced Bethesda to come on board.

Newspost:

http://www.gog.com/news/rerelease_fallout_series

66% off Bundle Deal(ends Wednesday, September 2, 12:59 PM GMT):

http://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_launch_fallout_bundle_260815

Bethesda Catalogue, Doom 1+2, Quake, Morrowind:

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=bethesda_softworks_llc&page=1

The copies on sale now as coded different to legacy copies, which have had 'Classic' appended to the title, but it is not apparent at this time to the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you got the games beforehand, either buying them or as part of the giveaway at the end of 2013 they won't show as as purchased in the GOG store but will still be in your library. So be careful not to double buy them.

I got a physical copy (only the discs, sadly), got the free copies ready to download from GOG at any point I want to and I got copies of the GOG version on an external hard-drive along with my ever growing collection of smut. [edit: I rechecked, I do not have a copy on Steam. But why bother getting a fourth copy anyway?]

So, yeah.
Not a whole lotta reason to buy any more copies.
Unless I can get a hold of an original boxed copy.
That is something I'd buy.

Why exactly did it take them 'this long' to bring them up at GOG again?

Last edited:
Why exactly did it take them 'this long' to bring them up at GOG again?

Bethesda didn't want to work with GOG. Maybe it was GOG's DRM stance or maybe Bethesda was just too comfortable with Steam. It did kinda leave a bad taste, I mean Fallout 1,2 and Tactics were launch titles for GOG and digitally premiered on GOG.

It's interesting that the new versions are listed for Fallout owners as not owned; meaning that GoG is actively offering to sell Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics to customers they know already have access to the games on their server.

Is something different about them now? (Aside from a logo change.)

It's interesting that the new versions are listed for Fallout owners as not owned; meaning that GoG is actively offering to sell Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics to customers they know already have access to the games on their server.

Is something different about them now? (Aside from a logo change.)
Less extras.

What do you mean by less extras? Not really going to get it since I already got it for free there. The original ones. No need for another one, which may or may not be dumbed down in terms of extras.

They are only including the manual. The old versions also included the fallout bible, soundtrack, wallpapers, etc.

Most importantly, the original GoG versions included the Mark Morgan soundtrack music in MP3 format.

Alas, these are only the Windows versions, and I have no realistic hope of seeing Mac versions again. I guess I'll have to hang on to my boxed copy of FO2.

GOG staff on the difference between the additions. Biggest thing is the lack of OS X support in the Bethesda versions:

The only difference between the Classic editions and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. ;)
To answer another question - will we ever have them included in the Bethesda versions? We will do everything in our power, of course, but I can't say for certain that we will.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/rerelease_fallout_series_72e26/post121

Mac OS X, Games Via WINE

When played pre B’Soft GOG FOT on Mac, learned can open WINE shell itself and install Redux.7x mod and more.

Shallower learning curve than hand rolling pre Win era games with DOS-Box.

4too

Nice to see they're back on GoG, even if money goes to Bethesda now. Between Bethesda and Herve though, not sure which is the lesser evil. On the other hand, I got them for free, so fuck both.

They are only including the manual. The old versions also included the fallout bible, soundtrack, wallpapers, etc.

I can second this. The GOG account pages for the old versions are labeled "Fallout 1/2/Tactics Classic."

To say I'm not surprised by this loss of content, along with an elevated price for the new versions ($9.99 versus $5.99), is an understatement. Doubt any Bethesda fanboys will take notice, though.

Back