Fallout 1 Fixt Not Running

Tarvin

First time out of the vault
I don't have a disc drive on my computer so copied the contents of the disc onto a USB drive and installed it onto my computer off of that. Everything ran fine until I encountered an inventory glitch that forced me to transfer either all or none of any item. I installed Fixit in an attempt to take care of the situation but it won't run.

"Could not find the master datafile. Please make sure the Fallout CD is in the drive and that you are running Fallout from the directory you installed it from."

I installed Fixit to a dedicated Games folder on a different drive from the OS. I attempted to follow the troubleshooting for the similar issue with Fallout 2 but it doesn't seem to apply.

Last edited:
If it is important enough we could run it as news or something. Or make a thread and I can sticky it.

Just to get back on this - I think some more basic installation instructions should be added to the descriptions of the download of each mod. For instance, as you clarified here, Fallout Fixt should be installed on top of the original Fallout folder. Right, that's explicitly stated in its "Readme", and the installer itself "acts surprised" when you try to install on a new folder, rather than on an existing one.

However, I had the same head-scratcher on the Fallout 2 Restoration Project (RP): should it be installed on a new folder or on top of the original one? Killap's description (here) simply says "install it", but does not specify whether it's on a new folder or not. It's strongly implied that it's on top of the original Fallout 2 folder because he carefuly instructs you to avoid a specific folder when installing the base game. Curiously though, the installer "acts surprised" when you try to install on an existing folder - as opposed to Fixt's installer, which only "acts suprised" if you are trying to do the wrong thing. Also, Fallout 2 RP lacks a readme.

So, maybe a few extra lines or a link to a readme directly on each download page should make things easier. I think it's much easier and more intuitive - "so, I have this mod here... here's the troubleshooting... here's the wiki.... oh, here's the readme!" I think it's much more efficient than just leaving the answer somewhere lost in the forums, where the same question may be asked and answered again and again. Of course some users are lazy and don't search first, but users don't necessarily use the same terms, so some of them may honestly not find the thread that answers their question.

Whaddya think?

Sounds good!

I've already been redesigning the readme and instructions etc since the next release will be zip file rather than installer.

Back