Fallout 2 Modding: Quick Question / Answer Thread

Guys I need help here. I would really like to edit 2 things here and I'm finding it really difficult to find clear guidance and information on how to do them.

1. I want to edit ammo files and edit ammo stats,
2. I want to edit the combat formula for both ranged and melee combat.

For number 1 I need to know where the files are, as well as what editor to use to edit them (I don't wanna hex-edit unless I absolutely have to.)

For number 2 I understand that I can do this with Sfall, but again I don't know where the file is and how.

Can you guys set me straight Please? I'm getting quite frustrated now.

1. F2wedit is the best choice.
2. hs_combatdamage hook script, check hookscripts.txt included in sfall modders pack for more detailed information.

2. hs_combatdamage hook script, check hookscripts.txt included in sfall modders pack for more detailed information.
So do I need to download the sfall modder's pack and install it in FO2 Directory? I already have RP 2.3.3 installed

The modder's pack you just unpack in a separate folder and use the script editor from there. Have you attempted any regular Fallout scripting beforehand? If not, I'd advise looking into all the tutorials in the stickies included here, and try and get a handle on the basics before getting into any sfall-related scripting.

Have you attempted any regular Fallout scripting beforehand?
No I haven't and I very much intend to stay away because there simply isn't anything else I wanna change other than the combat formula. So I'd prefer to learn only what I need to learn to do what I need without going into extras (I just don't have the time).

Now don't get me wrong, I am not a newbie to programming and script languages. I've done some C++ and VisBasic programming in the past, and I have experience with a few different scripting formats. But I don't wanna go neck deep into this... I just don't care!! lol

So from your knowledge, is editing the combat formula using sfall simple enough for a guy like me to figure it out in 10 hours? or ....not?

I don't mind reading the formats the the functions and their usage. I'm just finding it difficult to find the sources of proper information that gets one going.

I guess one thing that puzzles me is that, how can I edit the combat formula if there is no file that contains it to begin with! That's why I thought I would have to install sfall in the main FO2 folder first. Because well I already looked at ddraw.ini, and there is nothing in there relating to any combat formulas, or any functions for that matter that I could modify. So I figured something has to be added first.

What you want is to add an sfall hookscript to your scripts folder. The way these scripts work is that sfall runs them whenever a certain function in Fallout2.exe gets called, they "hook" into that function and potentially replace it. This is what's known as code injection, and is how sfall works in the first place. The reason why no file contains the damage formula is that it's handled internally by the Fallout2.exe engine, you're just using a hook script to overwrite it. Download the sfall modders pack, and have a look at the documents in there.

Fallout scripting is basically C code, with a few handy macros to make life easier. You'll pick it up in no time if you know C++.

But since you're too lazy to try hex editing (it's super easy and literally only requires copying and pasting values), too lazy to even try to figure out how the scripts work, and too lazy to read the stickies posted here in the forum for lazy people like you, I for one have no intention of helping you any further. Show some initiative, and then we'll talk.

Can't figure out how to make local variables to work. So, map variables are registered in <map_name>.gam, global variables in vault13.gam. Where are locals registered? I see there is a "# local_vars = X" section in scripts.lst, so I've set X to 10 for my script. But whenever I use local_var function for any local variable I get -1, and set_local_var doesn't seem to do anything at all. Am I missing something? Map and global variables work fine.

Is there a mod that gets rid of the "sliding" effect between certain menus? Like going from the dialogue to the trading menu. If not, how can I get rid of this effect?

@Elaxter you can't remove it, but you can make is faster with sfall. Although removing it altogether would be probably nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a mod that gets rid of the "sliding" effect between certain menus? Like going from the dialogue to the trading menu. If not, how can I get rid of this effect?
Get sfall 3.5 or later and set both CombatPanelAnimDelay and DialogPanelAnimDelay in ddraw.ini to 0. That should make the sliding animation fast enough to nearly look like being disabled.

Back