Fallout 2 Windows Vista 64 Bit Persisting Problems

Enentrix

First time out of the vault
Hi,

I recently pulled out my old copy of Fallout 2 in an attempt to get some play time in before Fallout 3 hits the shelves, however I keep having this problem once I've installed the game saying cannot load/text fonts. Now I have read the FAQ stickied in this thread many times over and have tried all the possible solutions but... now I am at a dead end.

I installed the latest unofficial patch didnt fix it, I tried manually installing the game... didnt fix it, I tried reinstalling the game... didnt fix it, I tried installing to different directories... didnt fix it, tried running in compatibility mode... didnt fix it. I've virtually exhausted all possible solutions to this problem and it keeps persisting.

I'll post a screenshot of my .cfg file and the error that keeps coming up, if someone could shed some light on a solution or what is going wrong please give me a much needed hand.

Also whenever I try and run the game in compatibility mode it gives me the "Fallout is running in compatibility mode" error.

Ah, but you might have forgotten that the original game was for 8 bit or something, system. Now to get the thing working you might want to do a manual install...
1) Copy master.dat and critter.dat files and DATA directory from the CD to game directory.
2) Then go inside the \PROGRAM\WIN directory and copy a program called fallout2.___ to the game folder and rename it to fallout2.exe, and then run it. It should do a little work around thing on it's own and it might take a few seconds, minute at tops, so don't panic on the black screen...
3) Then after you have started a successfully a new game, exit... and patch the game etc.

By the way, I recommend that you turn the UAC off...

Hmmm.. right up to the part where I copy the fallout2.____ file to the game directory and rename it to fallout2.exe I try running it and once again it gives me the cannot load text/fonts error..

I have tried manually installing the game before but nothing I can do that has been mentioned in previous troubleshooting guides has been able to erase the problem.

Im thinking if the problem was OS related I would at least be able to get into the game but that doesent seem to be the case.

some patches have options for changing your screen system. As far as i Know,Killap Restoration Project has the ddraw.ini, where oyu can configure your screen settings, donçt know if it could run up to 64 bit though

What was the solution to this problem, I'm having the exaxt same issue?
When I try to run FO2 it gives me the text fonts error. I tried the unofficial patch but to no effect. I hate being a noob at this business :/

Back