Fallout 3 in PC Gamer US, Emil & Todd on The Escapist

Was it lazy syntax, or did that Pagliarello guy just hint that both Oblivion and Fallout 3 are MMOGs?

HoKa said:
Was it lazy syntax, or did that Pagliarello guy just hint that both Oblivion and Fallout 3 are MMOGs?

Todd Howard likes to think of his creations as of "massively single-player games", but, since it's a bullshit classification that doesn't really mean anything, the developers seem to have a problem remembering the correct abbreviation for the term.

That could also be because "MSPG" sounds like a carcinogenic flavoring or a deadly disease, and consequently doesn't look good in print.

That and it's a really dumb idea to begin with.

gc051360 said:
Hence, missing the entire point of a role playing game. And I've never in my entire life felt like I was a character in a video game.

Actually, you just missed the entire point of a role playing game. Maybe sit in on a PnP session sometime, I guarantee you won't hear people saying "My character says this" or "My character casts whatever".

Still you're wrong. After all, in the end you keep thinking that you're only playing the characters role in a PnP session , and not that it's you by yourself. If you keep thinking the character in a PnP game is you, then actually you missed the point, because the aim of these games is to embody someone else (for most players this would be a supergenius hulk getting each woman with two words into his bed). You can't be yourself and don't think like yourself at the same time, I would call it a "contradiction".

So? Playing is no synonym for Being.

Sure, you think "What would I do", but that's only a part of your thought. "If i was him/her, what would I do", this is what keeps you in the role of somebody else, and you'll be always aware of that, regardless of how "immersive" the GAME is. Yeah, in the end it's only a game, and YOU want to PLAY it, you don't want someone else to get all the fun, except you share multiple personalities. This is a subtle difference, you interact with the environment as someone else, but enjoy the gameplay as you yourself. And that's what PnP is all about.

Re: Fallout 3 in PC Gamer US, Emil & Todd on The Escapis

Makagulfazel said:
Who the fuck is Dan Stapleton?
He's PC Gamer's primary RTS guy if I remember right. Why they have him doing the preview and not Desslock, I'm not sure. I don't trust Desslock completely (He really liked Hellgate London, for example) but I'd at least have a better background on what he thinks about RPGs in general. Dan Stapleton is kind of a curveball.

Still, I've got a subscription to PC Gamer at the moment, and I'm looking foward to it. Even though it probably won't say anything new.

To me, there seems to be schools when making a game.

One is Bethesda's school in which you're the character that does all these things. You need to use your imagination pretending to sneak, steal, or kill someone, be it guards or monsters.

I don't know when developers did promise virtual worlds?? I mean, it's not like we've been promised something like the Holodeck in Star Trek, is it??

The other, is of course, the school of Bioware in which the developers are dedicated to telling the greatest story ever told - every time. To do this, the game needs to have a beginning, a middle and an ending, following the narrative path for the western culture that Aristotle set down may moons and sun ago in ancient Greece. You then play as that character, not as yourself; it is your character, not you, that does kill monsters and people.

If I were to theorize a bit, I would say that Bethesda's approach was more like 'playing' and that Bioware's approach were more like 'gaming'. In 'playing' there are no rules, there are only big open worlds for you to explore, 'gaming', otoh, has (some) rules you must obey - or else you can't play (or game...)

Bethesda seem to keen on making real worlds life simulataors i.e. creating a believable virtual world (something they failed abit with doing in Oblivion, imo) while Bioware seem making great stories that has very good dialogue (options).

Imo, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age could mean a sort of mix of these two schools...

That is not necessarily a bad thing...

aries369 said:

One is Bethesda's school in which you're the character that does all these things. You need to use your imagination pretending to sneak, steal, or kill someone, be it guards or monsters.

I'm sorry, but when you need to use your imagination in this manner, the game has less to do with advancement of any new school of thought and more with being deficient and lacking.

Also, I recently played Bioware's excellent Mass Effect. In my opinion, it was exceedingly more successful with creation of a believable virtual world than both Morrowind and Oblivion combined.

@ Ranne

I agree with you completely and totally.

I was just explaining the reasons behind why Todd Howard and Bethesda are thinking the they do. They do think that when you're in first person, you get to be the character, not play as that character.

From reading the Bethesda Oblivion forums, many people use their imagination the way I described above; they imagine that they are an assasin joining the Dark Brotherhoor or an acrobat swining into people's houses or jumpirng from place to.

My imagination is much more closer to the worlds, characters, dialogues etc. created by Bioware...

Ted Howard said:
Howard believes in one principle above all others: "Great games are played, not made." He explains that if you don't approach the development of games as a gamer, then you're all about the process and not the product.

I just noticed this quote and I see he forgot to add the phrase "latte drinking elitists". I swear to gods, he looks like a game developing incarnation of President Bush. The only time game development has something to do with thinking as the average gamer is the time when you try to make it fool-proof. Same goes for the role of the average voter in political decisions. Somebody teach these people the meaning of the word "expert", for crying out loud.

P.S. Aries369, I see your point.

JustusJ said:
Slaughter Manslaught said:
Who the fuck is Dan Stapleton?

I really hope it's this guy: http://www.stapletonmagic.com/

No wonder Todd n' Emil wanted to get interviewed at the Escapist. Getting interviewed by Dan Stapleton is like getting interviewed by the Pope. On stilts. He's that awesome.

Misty said:
Morbus said:
What a load of bullshit puked by a bunch of assholes who don't know the first thing about role-playing...
You said it best. :clap:

What he didn't say is they're puking money.

aries369 said:
@ Ranne

I agree with you completely and totally.

Well I agree with you totally but not quite completely. How totally am I agreeing with you? Very totally.

>:[
aharharharharhar

Am I being mean?

Ranne said:
aries369 said:

I'm sorry, but when you need to use your imagination in this manner, the game has less to do with advancement of any new school of thought and more with being deficient and lacking.

Also, I recently played Bioware's excellent Mass Effect. In my opinion, it was exceedingly more successful with creation of a believable virtual world than both Morrowind and Oblivion combined.

I enjoy using my imagination while playing open-style RPG's. It's like playing D&D, but having graphics instead of pencils and paper.

It's not "deficient and lacking" it's just a different approach to gaming I guess.

Back