Fallout 3 reviews round-up #94

Per

Vault Consort
Staff member
Admin
Another blog batch because I know you love them.

Delayed Flight, 10/10.<blockquote>This game has a lot of replayability, and since it was build on the Gamebryo engine we’re sure to see mods being release when the development package is released to the public.

On a side note this game is an Role Play Game from a first person perspective not a first person shooter so to fully enjoy the game don’t rush the main quest instead just wander the wastes.</blockquote>FlixnJoystix, 4/5.<blockquote>This game offers some of the best decapitations ever seen in video game history, truly an awesome and disturbing accomplishment by the animators. All you kids may want to avoid the headshots if your parents are in the room. All you adults may want to avoid them as well, lest your significant other start wondering about your sanity.

Much like Oblivion this game does a number of things well. The overall story is a good one, and there are even a few surprises that will adjust according to the choices you make. Even though the ending is a little weak in comparison to the rest of the game, I was still fairly happy with it. The game does well graphically for the most part, and even though the some of the faces look wooden, emotions are conveyed effectively, and there are finally attractive women in this genre of gaming. The script is mediocre; however the voice acting is very well done.</blockquote>Harakazuma’s Weblog.<blockquote>What makes this an exciting RPG is the vastness of the game itself. The character can go pretty much anywhere they wish, and speak to anyone they choose to.

To sum it up, Fallout 3 is a wonderful RPG..one of the first truly innovative of its class.</blockquote>ImageGaming.<blockquote>However I know that in the future, I can play the game again, and completely change the entire gameplay based on making different decisions in my interactions with other people. While I went down the “Good” path, it’s also possible to take the other path, which one person described to me as “Stealing everything that isn’t bolted down, insulting the mother of every NPC, then putting a bullet in their heads”. The game really is what you make of it. Finish it in a day, or never actually finish it. It’s totally up to you.

Overall this game is a must buy for anyone who enjoys a good single player RPG experience with an open game world where your actions have a direct impact. It’s not just a game, but an experience. Something to be remembered and treasured in the years to come, and a standard by which future games will be judged.</blockquote>Nerd on a plane.<blockquote>At its heart, your mission will be about shooting people in the head. And animals, and ghouls, and mutants and even robots, but the head part remains true. There will be a lot of shooting. There will also be a lot of walking, and if you don't cheat, a lot of inventory management and frustration.

Weird bits? I used only a single nuke in the entire game and only a handful of missiles. I ended with bloody tons of the things but you can almost always do better with an aimed shot.</blockquote>A Paris Afternoon/A Vastly Ironic Life, 5/5.<blockquote>Unlike the clunky, very less-than-gratifying, hit-or-miss combat system of their previous titles, Bethesda’s Fallout 3 utilizes a new hybrid combat mechanic called V.A.T.S., which stands for Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System. Think of it as a half shooter, half turn-based RPG. See, in the middle of a sortie, bringing up V.A.T.S. will freeze the action, and highlight your target, allowing you to specifically hone in on whichever limb and/or vital organ you think they could make just fine without, allowing the less than “twitch-happy” RPG crowd to fully utilize their carefully crafted characters skill.</blockquote>Master Engineer of Sigmar's Realm, 9.6.<blockquote>Thankfully there are appropriate awards depending on your handling of a quest, and these could range from a person lowering their prices in their stall for you to schematics for a weapon or a permanent increase in your attributes. The versatility of the system and the array of choices and permutations available provides huge replay value. Many people, myself included, can happily confess to simply wandering the Wasteland, exploring. Exploring is rewarded in a sense, but the world is so beautifully created that you’ll find it hard not to wander at times, especially when you might see something interesting in the distance.</blockquote>Azureus.<blockquote>But in the end a warning: This play does not have its “for young people under 18 years” - seal clearly earns. Compared with Oblivion and Morrowind almost is the brutality frightening. This somewhat rauere clay/tone nevertheless inserts itself degrees marvelously into the world, even if one had been able to deal around some more economically with the pixel blood. And also at the risk that I repeat myself, it is and remains now times a Bethesda role performance. And as Fanboy I forgive those nearly everything.</blockquote>

All you adults may want to avoid them as well, lest your significant other start wondering about your sanity.

My girlfriend actually saw a decapitation, and instead of ask for my sanity, asked the redundant question... "Why did his head blow clean off?"

Go go Per, only 7 to go!

Fallout 3 is a wonderful RPG..one of the first truly innovative of its class.
How is making it less Fallouty, less RPG-like an innovative RPG?
You know, they justtspout this shit off without any thought.

I swear Pete Hines must have the easiest job in the world with the legions of sycophantic mouthpieces out there that do his job for him.

That "double" blog puzzled me a little. Both of them begin with different "this is something I wrote for my college newspaper" notes, but the blogs are supposedly written by two different people. I thought maybe they co-wrote it and both coincidentally also put it on their blog and both coincidentally forgot to credit the other. Or we're looking at a case of multiple personalities. I have now found a third blog which contains nothing but the same text, with the same intro note and posting date as one of the others. Can someone who understands blogs explain this?

I vote that instead of Per stopping at 101, he keeps going until the user base unites into an unruly mob, and burns his house down.

:)

Cimmerian Nights said:
Fallout 3 is a wonderful RPG..one of the first truly innovative of its class.
How is making it less Fallouty, less RPG-like an innovative RPG?
You know, they justtspout this shit off without any thought.

Umm, this:

What makes this an exciting RPG is the vastness of the game itself. The character can go pretty much anywhere they wish, and speak to anyone they choose to.

Apparently that's all a good RPG needs these days, and it's certainly not been done before :roll:

Pope Viper said:
I vote that instead of Per stopping at 101, he keeps going until the user base unites into an unruly mob, and burns his house down.

:)

Agreed. I'm somehow sure this is going to be unanimous =)

I mean, think of it, there's more reviews to be found in the world - we have not yet touched the Middle east, and barely touched East Asia. Surely, there's gotta be FO3 reviews in Iraq or North Korea!! :lol:

What makes this an exciting RPG is the vastness of the game itself. The character can go pretty much anywhere they wish, and speak to anyone they choose to.

WOW! You might have thought, if you have never played cRPGs before, that Bethesda invented cRPGs!

Public said:

WOW! You might have thought, if you have never played cRPGs before, that Bethesda invented cRPGs!

Don't give Bethesda ideas for the next Hype storm. :shock:

Why to do a next one? They have already started one, so they will stick with it. Companies like Bethesda does not take risky aproaches, which might not sell/give profits.

Their "idea of new-gen RPGs" has just started, and it sells nice.

Public said:
Why to do a next one? They have already started one, so they will stick with it. Companies like Bethesda does not take risky aproaches, which might not sell/give profits.

Their "idea of new-gen RPGs" has just started, and it sells nice.

Hype burns itself out. You can only apply a word to so many things before it loses all meaning. "Next-Gen" is the buzz-word for now, but given the fact that everyone is using it for all genres of games....

Also varying what is said also prevents them from catching on to the Hype. Bethsoft seems to have a problem with doing that which is probably why they jumped settings to Fallout instead of just doing another TES.

FO3 is very like Oblivion, only with guns, some extra cool stuff and a setting which is not well known to the younger audience. This audience, and oblivion's audience, is already wanting to play FO4 and the next TES.

The only thing that might happen, is if the audience's tastes will change. But that is a constructive topic, which depends on many things, like if Diablo III will be a great success, much greater than FO3's, Bethesda will be having some problems...

Ausdoerrt said:
I mean, think of it, there's more reviews to be found in the world - we have not yet touched the Middle east, and barely touched East Asia. Surely, there's gotta be FO3 reviews in Iraq or North Korea!! :lol:
I think 101 is a good number to stop on, but it would be great if Per took a bit longer on the last seven and tried to get just reviews from the oddest places on the planet.

Public said:
FO3 is very like Oblivion, only with guns, some extra cool stuff and a setting which is not well known to the younger audience. This audience, and oblivion's audience, is already wanting to play FO4 and the next TES.

The only thing that might happen, is if the audience's tastes will change. But that is a constructive topic, which depends on many things, like if Diablo III will be a great success, much greater than FO3's, Bethesda will be having some problems...

They can & did hang the hype on the setting. It was only as it came to release time that they switch to "Oblivion with Guns" hype. How much of the audience bought the game because of hype & how much because it fit their tastes? I don't know & I doubt anyone else does. What they do know is that a % of Morrowind players were pissed off with Oblivion & a % of Fallout 1/2 fans are pissed about Fallout 3. So if you want to trick those people into buying Fallout 4 or the next TES.... you need hype that looks different from what they used for Oblivion & FO3. Going Mainstream/Corporate causes people to want an ever increasing number on consumers & one bigger than the competion. Just take a look at the studios EA has bought over the years or how the Movie industry treats remakes.

Fade said:
Public said:

They can & did hang the hype on the setting. It was only as it came to release time that they switch to "Oblivion with Guns" hype. How much of the audience bought the game because of hype & how much because it fit their tastes? I don't know & I doubt anyone else does. What they do know is that a % of Morrowind players were pissed off with Oblivion & a % of Fallout 1/2 fans are pissed about Fallout 3. So if you want to trick those people into buying Fallout 4 or the next TES.... you need hype that looks different from what they used for Oblivion & FO3. Going Mainstream/Corporate causes people to want an ever increasing number on consumers & one bigger than the competion. Just take a look at the studios EA has bought over the years or how the Movie industry treats remakes.

In FO3's hype they used lies, that it's going to be a spiritual successor to the originals, 200 endings, great old school RPG feeling, etc, etc. I don't know what was the hype for Oblivion, definately graphics, for sure.

But consider, that there is always new mass of teenagers coming in, and Bethesda are making games for those masses which parents will buy games on christmas. And another thing, kids like games with violence, just like me and most of my friends did when we were kids. Quake III Arena used to be my favourite one, to kill some dudes 100 times within a game, rather than kill some teachers I hated at school.
But during the time, those games are getting boring, and the mind needs to experience something more chalenging like RPGs. That's why the society/people needs different genders in games like in movies and music.

Bethesda's aproach is stupid, but profitable.

Per said:
Public said:
I don't know what was the hype for Oblivion, definately graphics, for sure.

Radiant AI.

Which was the biggest lie about Oblivion. Being faithful to Fallout 1 was the biggest lie for Fallout 3. Fallout 4 or the next TES? Who knows what the hype is going to be... just hoping most people don't fall for it.

iridium_ionizer said:
Ausdoerrt said:
I think 101 is a good number to stop on, but it would be great if Per took a bit longer on the last seven and tried to get just reviews from the oddest places on the planet.

Yup, should e-mail dictators around the planet TODAY, and ask them to make their reviewers write short articles about Fallout 3 ^___^

You know, a new approach to Beth-style 10/10 reviews :lol:

Back