Fallout 3 Washington compared to real Washington.

PHeller

First time out of the vault
I'll let you decide:

Washington_DC_Arial.jpg

I wish I could find a picture of the view from the vault, but it was very apparent, even barring the differences between the game's universe and our own, that this wasn't Washington.

I like the landscape of F3, don't get me wrong...but I don't get the feeling that this a landscape modeled after reality.

They never said, that it will be modeled after reality. They just included some prominent things and that's it.

Of course it's not modeled on reality, it's an alternate reality, that stems from the 1950's and when DC gets bombed it's 70 years later than now.

If the game WAS modeled on the reality, it would be censored to death. It already got tuned down bad enough because of censorship.

PHeller said:
I'll let you decide:

Washington_DC_Arial.jpg

I wish I could find a picture of the view from the vault, but it was very apparent, even barring the differences between the game's universe and our own, that this wasn't Washington.

I like the landscape of F3, don't get me wrong...but I don't get the feeling that this a landscape modeled after reality.

Near as I can tell it's missing the Aircraft Carrier near the Jefferson Memorial.
:P

If you watch the making off video, they specifically stated that if a building was built after 1950~ they explicitely decided to either not incude it or change the architecture of how it was built in some way that would attempt to add to the immersion of it being a seperate timeline.

I haven't watched the "making of" video yet, but being a resident of northern Virginia, I was a little disappointed that they did not attempt to capture existing buildings or general location of towns better (yes I understand the alternative reality thing - Just sayin'). At the least, I thought they could have gotten the Metro better (they have a few stations correctly named), but for instance Arlington Cemetary only has one stop, not two.

I kept looking for the Eternal Flame around Arlington, wasn't there, although I could see the Pentagon. Looking forward to getting inside that building. Having found Fairfax City and Andale, I am hoping to find Springfield and the approximate location of my house in Alexandria in this game (not expecting it to be mapped, but would be a funny thing to note).

Back