Fallout Archaeology: Ancient Fallout 1 advertisement

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tagaziel, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    I think what makes this different from the other stuff we've seen is that this thing is probably actually painted. And I don't mean with no Painter's or Photoshop's great grandmother, but with actual paints and brushes and everything - ergo the "comicbook" and strong "90's pulp" feel that it has.

Great find ! (how and where did this get dug up, though ?)

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Must've assumed something wrongly.

3. Dork Mage

Dork Mage First time out of the vault

Oct 19, 2008
    Copyright date on the ad itself is 1997.

4. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Great picture and find.
    Mutants and ghouls look a bit weird, though I guess it is actually possible to have a hairy mutant (and a communist one at that).
    Ghouls actually look okay, if you compare it to the looks of those in the game. A bit too muscular, but facially okay, but who the heck is that guy on the far left?
    Vault Dweller looks really badass.
    All in all, superb painting.

5. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    Well I guess the artists were given rather loose descriptions of what's going to be on the poster or what is expected of them - back then the Fallout universe was not yet established as what we take it to be today.

For example, if you've read how they reached the colour-scheme for the FO2 cover PA mk2 then you'll know that a lot of the decisions were made on the go.

edit: haha @ your new avatar!

6. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010
    Pretty much.
    Still, when you think about it, mutants/ghouls like this fit the game. After all, if we limit to Fallout-only, there is nothing in the game that says there aren't things like this.

Couldn't resist. Love the picture.

7. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    I'm pretty sure there were mutants with hair in the game, you know, Harold and Harry.

8. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    You can even spot hair on the mutant sprites themselves if you watch close, so yeah.

9. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    What I find most interesting is the bottom right pic.

It looks like it was photoshopped from existing artwork because I can't imagine what it could be an early version of. Some kind of old debug menu perhaps?

The panels on the left, with the Scrapheap garage and what I guess is the Necropolis sewers, suggest an early save/load menu, but the fact that the preview image is killian's face might suggest it was planned to let you save in dialog at one point, which would have been kinda cool.

Other than that I have no clue. What could the ON button be for? And what's that label say?

10. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010
    Woah, yeah, it was my bad. It turned out wrong.

See this guy in bottom right, standing in front of the commie? I honestly didn't see him, though that hair of his was actually commies, so it went wrong, like commie was a werewolf, hehe. Sorry about the confusion.

Actually, this image is already here on NMA, though there is this advertising on it.

11. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I am not at home right now, so I cannot check, but isn't this the inside print of the original big box?

12. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Huh, interesting. And also lots of memories, that was what the box looked like when I bought the double pack at a store so long ago

"Fallout packs a replay value few games can match" indeed

13. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    I find it funny that even back then, gaming journalism surely sucked donkey balls. Seriously: "Fallout could signal the return of the old-school RPG."

wat

There was no similar RPG of this kind back then and even the Goldbox games were still alive and kicking. What the fuck did they mean with "old school RPG" when Fallout at release pretty much coined a big part of this genre?

Wasteland? It was the spiritual succesor, but the gameplay was very different from it...

@ Farmerk:

This is just a Mock Up... It is not hard to do that especially when they have the sourcefiles at hand. You can even see bad upsizing at the "On" font.

14. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    While we are at the advert again... The Necropolis sewers screenshot is a fake. :p They mirrored the map and the bottom interface with the flamer is exactly taken out of some other screenshot. (The Junktown screen, where the PC is using a flamer against radscorpions that are - totally randomly - placed in the map, which probably means this one is set up for advert only as well.)

See, they faked screenshots already 10+ years ago. :>

15. Surf Solar

Aug 20, 2009
    Yeah. Wonder why, though. Could have been the original screenshot and it still wouldn't make a difference, even from a "design" perspective of the ad.

On that ad you mentioned the Talking Heads also still have that ugly white font instead of the green one, glad they changed it ;)

16. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    And Morpheus got different lighting... not sure which one is better though...

17. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Actually, it's not Morpheus. It's the Shady Sands Elder, who was cut from the final version of the game.

18. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    Damn clones :D I didn't know about him. I thought Aradesh/Maxon and Nicole/Jain were the only ones...

19. strus

strus Patrick Bateman

Feb 23, 2005
    Awesome :clap:

20. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    Can't say I like this advert very much...

For some reason, it reminds me of FOPOS.